Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Long-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions


Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.


Long-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam MLC Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-20-2018, 02:04 PM
sukkev08 sukkev08 is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: In Neverland
College: Monster University
Favorite beer: Root Beer Count?
Posts: 125
Default Spring 2019 LTAM Progress Thread

I don't see a thread for Spring 2019 sitting, so decided to start one.

I know it is a bit too early, but I know I won't have much time in December and January... starting early!

For anyone who has previously prepared the exam only using CA online manual and ADAPT, how did it go?
__________________
P FM MFE MLC C
VEE Econ VEE Fin VEE Stat FAP APC
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-21-2018, 02:18 PM
Magus Magus is offline
SOA
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukkev08 View Post
For anyone who has previously prepared the exam only using CA online manual and ADAPT, how did it go?
I took MLC a year ago using ASM plus a couple weeks of ADAPT and got a 5. This time I used the CA online manual, ADAPT, and focused more on WA. I really liked how concise CA manual was, but I think it helped having the base knowledge from ASM.

I finished ADAPT with a 6.18 after 13 exams. I flew through most of the MC questions and would guess I got 16/20, with maybe 14 on the first pass. I think 25% were on the new LTAM topics, but fortunately they were extremely basic. I felt like I had more time for WA than I did with MLC.

For WA, I worked through SOA sample, previous exam, and CA questions 1-3 times depending on my results. I felt pretty good about 4 WA since they were very similar to ones I had seen. 2 were new to me and I really struggled with #6 even though I felt good about Pension problems.

I felt better leaving the exam than with MLC so I'd be disappointed (but not exactly surprised) if I fail again.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-25-2018, 10:40 PM
preyas999 preyas999 is offline
SOA
 
Join Date: May 2016
Studying for FM
Posts: 15
Default

I'll be joining you. Just wrote IFM a week ago (really iffy on how it went, I can see myself passing or failing with no surprise either way) and just bought CA Learn Pro package for LTAM. Hopefully Dave can carry me to a pass!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-26-2018, 12:05 AM
SweepingRocks SweepingRocks is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
College: Bentley University
Posts: 122
Default

I'll also be joining in the LTAM festivities


Quote:
Originally Posted by preyas999 View Post
I'll be joining you. Just wrote IFM a week ago (really iffy on how it went, I can see myself passing or failing with no surprise either way) and just bought CA Learn Pro package for LTAM. Hopefully Dave can carry me to a pass!
Break a leg!
__________________
FM P MFE STAM LTAM in April

Former Disney World Cast Member, currently no idea what I'm doing

"I think you should refrain from quoting yourself. It sounds pompous." - SweepingRocks
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-26-2018, 12:08 PM
CarolynMarie CarolynMarie is offline
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Studying for LTAM
College: Class of 2016
Posts: 19
Default

I was wondering when this thread would pop up!

I took the first sitting of LTAM in October, but wasn't very optimistic going into it. I actually felt much better than I thought I would coming out of it, but I still don't think I passed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukkev08 View Post
For anyone who has previously prepared the exam only using CA online manual and ADAPT, how did it go?
I used (and will use) the CA online manual, their video lessons, and ADAPT, and I think they're all great. I love how everything is organized and lines up across the different materials, and I think the manual is clear and concise. My problem in October was that I got caught up at work and ended up not taking the sitting 100% seriously because I didn't think I had enough time to study, but I'm all in this time!
__________________
Exams: P[✔] FM[✔] MFE[✔] LTAM[] STAM[...]
VEE: Economics[✔] Finance[✔] Statistics[✔]
FAP: 1-5[✔] IA[✔] 6-8[✔] FA[✔]
Predictive Analytics: [...]
APC: [...]
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-26-2018, 01:53 PM
sukkev08 sukkev08 is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: In Neverland
College: Monster University
Favorite beer: Root Beer Count?
Posts: 125
Default

I wish my company would pay for CA video lessons... but I like how concise their online manual is written and it does its job so far, mated with ADAPT quizzes.
__________________
P FM MFE MLC C
VEE Econ VEE Fin VEE Stat FAP APC
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-26-2018, 03:16 PM
ActuaryEveryday ActuaryEveryday is offline
SOA
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Studying for LTAM
College: Penn State University
Posts: 13
Default

Gonna prepare for it.
Does anybody suggest to go over the questions from ASM LTAM?
For MFE and C, I just learned the materials from ASM and did practice from samples and CA/Mahler.
For different exams I think they should have different study plans.
ASM questions typically not match the exam difficulty.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-21-2019, 10:11 PM
windows7forever windows7forever is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 239
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActuaryEveryday View Post
Gonna prepare for it.
Does anybody suggest to go over the questions from ASM LTAM?
For MFE and C, I just learned the materials from ASM and did practice from samples and CA/Mahler.
For different exams I think they should have different study plans.
ASM questions typically not match the exam difficulty.
Thanks.
When I took MLC, CA used to have ASM manuals as their study manuals. Last summer they split up and CA developed its own manual. But compared to previous expired ASM e-manual, the new CA manual for LTAM and maybe other exams too are pretty similar to shorter version of ASM that focus on material and examples related to current syllabus.

ASM certainly works if you have a lot time to read and do most of problems. I do not have that much time to do that many old questions. If you do not have much study time, CA manual will be the most costly and timely effective way to use for LTAM study and pair that with ADAPT for additional practices.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-21-2019, 10:32 PM
NotSmart NotSmart is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Hartford, CT
Studying for Exam PA
College: Capital Community College
Posts: 82
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by windows7forever View Post
When I took MLC, CA used to have ASM manuals as their study manuals. Last summer they split up and CA developed its own manual. But compared to previous expired ASM e-manual, the new CA manual for LTAM and maybe other exams too are pretty similar to shorter version of ASM that focus on material and examples related to current syllabus.

ASM certainly works if you have a lot time to read and do most of problems. I do not have that much time to do that many old questions. If you do not have much study time, CA manual will be the most costly and timely effective way to use for LTAM study and pair that with ADAPT for additional practices.
I agree with this post. CA manual is extremely concise and never goes deeper into a topic than it has to.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-27-2018, 04:08 PM
sweptawaybythesea sweptawaybythesea is offline
SOA
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Boston
Studying for IFM
Favorite beer: I like girly drinks
Posts: 10
Default

Just sat for IFM and I'm confident I passed. All in for LTAM in April...wooo so excited.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.34487 seconds with 10 queries