Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Investment / Financial Markets
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Investment / Financial Markets Old Exam MFE Forum

Old 05-11-2019, 02:18 PM

Studying for P/1
College: M.S. University of Texas; B.S. Trinity University
Default Study Guides

How much was the CA that you used? Do you think you could have passed with a less expensive option like Actex or ASM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by We've_got_Dodgson_here! View Post
Agreed. Quantity of CA exams around level 4-5 is more beneficial than progressing your way up in earned level. I passed this sitting (my second attempt) and actually never got above the default level 4 earned level on CA. I kept getting 19 or 20 out of 30 on my practice exams. I wasn't very good at the highly technical problems, but that didn't hurt me much on the exam. Seeing a wide variety of practice questions helped a lot, especially qualitative questions that helped me to really understand the finance concepts. Increasing earned level is of course more desirable but it doesn't need to be your focus to pass this exam. CA was an incredible prep resource for this exam. All the best to those taking the next sitting and congrats to the passers!
Old 05-12-2019, 07:29 PM
SOA

When is the transcript and grade updated everyone ?
Old 05-13-2019, 01:51 AM
SOA

College: University of Iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by carshev1629 View Post
When is the transcript and grade updated everyone ?
Today (May 13). The grades may have been released by now.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:15 AM
SOA

Studying for STAM
College: Grove City College alum

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF View Post
How much was the CA that you used? Do you think you could have passed with a less expensive option like Actex or ASM?
I used CA Adapt and Video Lessons, 360 day access with unlimited pass guarantees for $1k. EXPENSIVE, but my employer pays for it. I passed with a 6 and I don't think I'd have passed without CA (I got a 2 my first sitting after only reading the textbooks, granted I studied far less than I should have).

How you choose to study will depend on where you've found success in the past. The CA video lessons are a good fit for my style of learning (including that they are concise compared to reading text), but you of course can read the textbooks or a paper manual if you've had success with that before. Adapt would likely be a great fit for any learning style - I particularly found the Q&A below each practice problem to be extremely helpful in clearing up any confusion I had on how to work a problem. The CA coaches are very responsive and do a great job explaining the material as they answer student questions. Just buying Adapt is not cheap at a few hundred dollars but you probably get the most bang for your buck with it.

I hope you find a strategy that works well for you and helps you pass.

LP | LFV | LRM
Reg/Tax | ERM | FinEcon | DMAC | FAC
Old 05-13-2019, 10:18 AM
SOA

Studying for LTAM
College: Truman State University
Favorite beer: UC Schnickelfritz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF View Post
I used the CA bundle as well, although not the 360 day version. Likewise, though, my company covered the cost for it.

I passed with an 8 (Woo! 6's on the first two), and felt very prepared after using CA. I was a big fan of the new coach, Mike, that put the lessons together. Not too dry, kept me interested, and was easy to listen to. All the content was covered very well in my opinion. I would greatly recommend it if you can swing the cost. They do have a student discount if you are in that boat. At the least, ADAPT was extremely useful as always.

P FM IFM STAM LTAM SRM PA

VEE FAP
Old 05-13-2019, 10:21 AM
SOA

Studying for LTAM

Curious to those who are moving forward, STAM or LTAM in October? Saw a mix in the brief mentions so far. Seems like LTAM may be pretty appropriate given the lengthy study window available...

VEE FAP
Old 05-13-2019, 10:57 AM
CAS SOA

Studying for STAM
College: Illinois Wesleyan University; Northwestern University
Favorite beer: Fat Tire (Radler, if it counts)

Barely made it with a 6. I must say I got lucky, but I feel like I deserved it after getting a 5 on MFE last year when I thought I had a half-decent shot at passing. This score has finally broken my streak of binary scores, 9 and 5.
Old 05-13-2019, 02:13 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glazzy View Post
Curious to those who are moving forward, STAM or LTAM in October? Saw a mix in the brief mentions so far. Seems like LTAM may be pretty appropriate given the lengthy study window available...
I'm looking to do LTAM in October. if I feel confident after that sitting, I'll start studying for STAM in February.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:59 PM
SOA

College: University of Colorado Boulder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glazzy View Post
I think I've determined that STAM works better for my overall plan. More timing than anything else. It's also because I'm planning on knocking out a VEE this summer before I begin exam studying. Oct '19 - STAM, Apr '20 - LTAM, Sep '20 - SRM is my goal.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:26 AM
SOA

Studying for LTAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jare1786 View Post
I think I've determined that STAM works better for my overall plan. More timing than anything else. It's also because I'm planning on knocking out a VEE this summer before I begin exam studying. Oct '19 - STAM, Apr '20 - LTAM, Sep '20 - SRM is my goal.
Sounds like a great goal! Good luck! I'm going to move on to LTAM myself, just got the CA bundle for it.

VEE FAP