Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 09-24-2018, 01:33 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by hostess View Post
not sure if that's a joke, but if its not.... then its def not true. You're saying apply to a job before it's even published?
Many job descriptions are created after the decision to hire via informal channels, because it's either company policy or required by law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 09-24-2018, 01:36 PM
CAS

Quote:
not sure if that's a joke, but if its not.... then its def not true. You're saying apply to a job before it's even published?
It's called cold calling/emailing. It has been shown to work if done correctly.
Old 09-24-2018, 01:37 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Many job postings are legit, but remember there's a lag between when a need to hire arises, and when the posting actually appears.

Internally, a manager will say, "hey we need someone and we're planning to open a position, does anyone know anybody?" And then people will pipe up and say, "yeah, I know so-and-so," etc. Then the manager will say something like "okay send me their resume and in the meantime work with HR to set up an opening."

You want to be the person they had in mind before the opening gets posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 09-24-2018, 02:05 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fracktuary View Post
It's called cold calling/emailing. It has been shown to work if done correctly.
cold emailing large companies almost always results in nothing. It has been said numerous times on this forum that it's just protocal for employees to disregard all job seeking emails from strangers. At best, you'll get forwarded to HR who will reply with a standard "please check out our career's page" response.

If you meant for smaller companies, then I'd agree with you.
Old 09-24-2018, 02:07 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
Many job postings are legit, but remember there's a lag between when a need to hire arises, and when the posting actually appears.

Internally, a manager will say, "hey we need someone and we're planning to open a position, does anyone know anybody?" And then people will pipe up and say, "yeah, I know so-and-so," etc. Then the manager will say something like "okay send me their resume and in the meantime work with HR to set up an opening."

You want to be the person they had in mind before the opening gets posted.
again... that's only at smaller companies. no one at travelers is gonna say "hey does anyone know an entry level analyst we can hire?".
Old 09-24-2018, 02:39 PM

Quote:
again... that's only at smaller companies. no one at travelers is gonna say "hey does anyone know an entry level analyst we can hire?".
Not true completely. I work at a large health insurer and it's more likely that if it's an off cycle hire and somebody says "hey, I know a person" they can get an interview. It's not as likely to work during the main college recruiting times though.

To be fair this is still going to depend on how much somebody is willing to back you. I'm not going to do it off a cold call/email most likely but have helped somebody this way.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:06 PM
SOA

Studying for Life ALM & Modeling
Favorite beer: Blue Moon Belgian White

You should set up searches on apps such as Indeed so that you can apply as soon as a position is posted. The earlier you apply, the higher are your chances of getting a call (given that you meet minimum requirements).
Old 09-24-2018, 03:10 PM
SOA

your first point is pretty spot on IME. The new trend is to bring on a flood of interns and use that as your EL pool.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:59 PM
SOA

Studying for Life ALM & Modeling
Favorite beer: Blue Moon Belgian White

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataDan View Post
your first point is pretty spot on IME. The new trend is to bring on a flood of interns and use that as your EL pool.
That is pretty much the best way to go about it because you can learn so much more about a candidate during a 4-month internship compared to an 1-hour interview.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:31 PM
CAS

Quote:
Do you guys tend to hire locally? Most of my advice was targeted at the large fortune 500 companies who gets close to a thousand (if not more) applications.

I would agree that smaller companies have more flexibility with requirements and tend to have a higher thruput ratio when it comes to application/interview process.
Generally yes, although there has been an occasion when an intern was non-local but had family in the area