Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Long-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Life, Health & Pension

Health Actuary Jobs
Insurance & Consulting jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Actuarial Recruitment
Visit DW Simpson's website for more info.
www.dwsimpson.com/about

Casualty Jobs
Property & Casualty jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Long-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam MLC Forum

Old 10-09-2017, 12:04 AM
CAS SOA

Default Start studying now for the April 2018 sitting?

Just passed C and was wondering if its a good idea to start studying for mlc for april 2018 sitting. I know the syllabus will change middle of next year, so wasnt sure what I should do.... especially if I fail the april sitting.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:08 AM
CAS SOA

Studying for MLC
College: Cal Poly San Luis Obispo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshin17 View Post
Just passed C and was wondering if its a good idea to start studying for mlc for april 2018 sitting. I know the syllabus will change middle of next year, so wasnt sure what I should do.... especially if I fail the april sitting.
LTAM (the exam that will replace MLC), seems like it's pretty similar MLC. It'll still have the WA portion so there's no avoiding that. It also appears the SOA is removing KM/NA and their variances to this new LTAM exam. I'm gonna study for MLC and just give it a shot. Even if I fail it's not like studying the material went to waste.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:53 AM
SOA

College: University of Southern California, 2nd year

Same boat^ I actually bought the MLC Manual last year which I realized was a mistake since I decided to take C first instead. Now that I've passed C I'm not sure if I can study MLC with the same ASM manual... Also what materials are we supposed to use to study now for the new LTAM exam that replaced MLC??
Old 10-09-2017, 02:15 PM
Non-Actuary

College: Cornell

The first sitting of LTAM will be in the Fall of 2018. The TIA seminar for LTAM should launch in May 2018, but we will be transitioning any leftover time remaining on MLC subscriptions into LTAM access.

You could certainly start now using existing MLC materials and simply focus only on the items that will be persisting to the LTAM syllabus since the LTAM syllabus is already available.

MAS-I Course, SRM Course,
TIA Apps
Old 10-09-2017, 05:08 PM
CAS SOA

Studying for MLC
College: Cal Poly San Luis Obispo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sona View Post
Same boat^ I actually bought the MLC Manual last year which I realized was a mistake since I decided to take C first instead. Now that I've passed C I'm not sure if I can study MLC with the same ASM manual... Also what materials are we supposed to use to study now for the new LTAM exam that replaced MLC??
Congrats on passing C! I'm in a similar boat. I bought the ASM Manual for MLC last year. However, I don't think the syllabus for MLC changed recently so we should be fine.

My brother goes to USC btw lol
Old 10-10-2017, 12:47 PM
Non-Actuary

College: Cornell

Also, all TIA MLC registrations for this month will automatically be extended to April 27th, the date of the Spring MLC sitting.

No need to wait until October 27th to get started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathDoctorG View Post
The first sitting of LTAM will be in the Fall of 2018. The TIA seminar for LTAM should launch in May 2018, but we will be transitioning any leftover time remaining on MLC subscriptions into LTAM access.

You could certainly start now using existing MLC materials and simply focus only on the items that will be persisting to the LTAM syllabus since the LTAM syllabus is already available.

MAS-I Course, SRM Course,
TIA Apps
Old 10-11-2017, 11:50 AM
SOA

College: University of Southern California, 2nd year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasplash View Post
Congrats on passing C! I'm in a similar boat. I bought the ASM Manual for MLC last year. However, I don't think the syllabus for MLC changed recently so we should be fine.

My brother goes to USC btw lol
Thanks! Yeah I'll just take a small break for a while and study for the materials on MLC that still persists in the new exam.

And ayy fight on Trojan Fam!