Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics > Health and Fitness Forum
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson
Actuarial Jobs

Visit our site for the most up to date jobs for actuaries.

Actuarial Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Health, Life, Pension and Non-Tradtional Jobs.

Actuarial Meeting Schedule
Browse this year's meetings and which recruiters will attend.

Contact DW Simpson
Have a question?
Let's talk.
You'll be glad you did.

Old 10-17-2018, 02:51 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
I'm starting to wonder if part of my problem could be apnea. My wife says that I've started the gasping for air thing, on top of my already loud snoring. Unfortunately, my insurance requires a referral to get a sleep study. I am giving up my last PCP because she told me I had acute renal failure when I didn't, because she was so determined to get me off the TRT. I have made an appointment with a new PCP, but can't get in until February.

Anyway, apnea can screw with the body in all kinds of ways, including testosterone levels.
Hate to say this, but your apnea is a pretty big health issue.

The link between decreased hormone levels (test and thyroid) and lack of sleep is well established, so yes, I would definitely get that looked at.

What you need is a sleep study to see the apnea. And possibly a CPAP machine in the short term if the apnea is a problem that cant be fixed quickly.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:59 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Polymath View Post
Hate to say this, but your apnea is a pretty big health issue.

The link between decreased hormone levels (test and thyroid) and lack of sleep is well established, so yes, I would definitely get that looked at.

What you need is a sleep study to see the apnea. And possibly a CPAP machine in the short term if the apnea is a problem that cant be fixed quickly.
Yep. Lots of my current issues are classic symptoms of apnea. And I've heard some folks say that CPAP was "life changing."

I hope that CPAP could be a short term solution, as you're saying. If I got improved energy, maybe that would allow me to improve my overall health, including those things that lead to apnea. It would be great not to be dependent on CPAP the rest of my life.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:01 PM
SOA

I wonder if my best bet is to go to an urgent care center to get the referral for a sleep study. It seems dumb to wait 4 months to see a PCP to get that referral. Should I call the UCC first, to see if they could even give me such a referral? Obviously, they won't give me a referral just because I ask for one, and they would need to see me first. I just wonder if they can tell you over the phone if that's something they would even do.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:30 PM
CAS

Quote:
I'm starting to wonder if part of my problem could be apnea. My wife says that I've started the gasping for air thing, on top of my already loud snoring. Unfortunately, my insurance requires a referral to get a sleep study. I am giving up my last PCP because she told me I had acute renal failure when I didn't, because she was so determined to get me off the TRT. I have made an appointment with a new PCP, but can't get in until February.

Anyway, apnea can screw with the body in all kinds of ways, including testosterone levels.
My husband is going through this. I said that he sometimes (not routinely) sounds like he's gasping for breath as he sleeps. And his cardiologist thought he should be evaluated for apnea even without my evidence. (My evidence includes audio recordings, but the cardiologist was already sold on him doing a sleep study, so didn't bother to listen.) He's waiting for the sleep study machine to be free, and then will do that at home.

Quote:
I wonder if my best bet is to go to an urgent care center to get the referral for a sleep study. It seems dumb to wait 4 months to see a PCP to get that referral. Should I call the UCC first, to see if they could even give me such a referral? Obviously, they won't give me a referral just because I ask for one, and they would need to see me first. I just wonder if they can tell you over the phone if that's something they would even do.
no clue, good luck.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:42 PM
SOA

Then again, I'm seeing my urologist on Tuesday. I wonder if he could refer me for a sleep study. Never hurts to ask.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:48 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:

Duh.
Sleep is the most important part of your day.

But, a CPAP sucks, for your bed partner. If you have a basement, then that's your lair, big bear.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:51 PM

Quote:

That is crazy. Shouldn't you be talking to a lawyer?
Old 10-17-2018, 03:59 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Then again, I'm seeing my urologist on Tuesday. I wonder if he could refer me for a sleep study. Never hurts to ask.
Or, he'll tell you about your renal failure, because old PCP is in cahoots with him.
Old 10-18-2018, 07:49 AM
CAS

There’s low t clinics popping up all over the place, especially in suburban areas with a little money. Almost every dude who walks into one and gets tested will be advised “we can make you feel better and improve your quality of life if we get you a little higher in the optimal t range” and they will be advised to go on TRT. Despite all the claims of polymath and Jaskent, who say they “got educated” and now tout the wonders of TRT, most PCP who are worth a damn will tell men to stay the hell off the hormones.

Look I had some fun with the gnc stories but I also posted a link about Ashwagandha. And I have others. I did research it and came to the conclusion that it far safer and more effective than testosterone. But imo it’s the dietary, fitness, and behavioral stuff that should be fully implemented before you ever reach for a pill. Americans are obsessed with the quick fix take a pill and live like crap and be well.

Egghead, I’m assuming you’re over 50? And sounds like you have a high stress job. I think we would all agree that you need to get you’re sleep issues resolved first. Before you mess with a sleep study I would really give disciplined diet and an hour of hard cardio a day (working up to it) a shot. I know it’s easier said than done.

And don’t listen to all the TRT fanatics. The stuff is garbage and you don’t need it
Old 10-18-2018, 09:57 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsanders33 View Post
There’s low t clinics popping up all over the place, especially in suburban areas with a little money. Almost every dude who walks into one and gets tested will be advised “we can make you feel better and improve your quality of life if we get you a little higher in the optimal t range” and they will be advised to go on TRT. Despite all the claims of polymath and Jaskent, who say they “got educated” and now tout the wonders of TRT, most PCP who are worth a damn will tell men to stay the hell off the hormones.
This was my experience. The clinic was run by a former PCP with a phenomenal reputation. My wife, mother, MIL and SIL all went to her. And I think she really believed in what she was doing. But she recently had her medical license ... I'm not sure what the word is. Modified? She is no longer allowed to practice in the area of hormone treatment. So she can't even prescribe birth control pills now. My own PCP was livid when she saw my blood counts, and raged against what she saw as irresponsible treatment. But she overstepped when she had her assistant call to tell me I had acute renal failure. (PCP later admitted she had the assistant exaggerate, with the intention of making sure I got off the shots.)

Quote:
Egghead, I’m assuming you’re over 50? And sounds like you have a high stress job. I think we would all agree that you need to get you’re sleep issues resolved first. Before you mess with a sleep study I would really give disciplined diet and an hour of hard cardio a day (working up to it) a shot. I know it’s easier said than done.
I'm close to 50, yeah. And, yeah, a pretty darn stressful job.

I've given the diet and cardio a shot. The stressful job makes it tough to get in that kind of exercise time, which in turn adds to the stress level. Don't get me wrong, I know I need to make both a priority. And I've lost some weight. But the apnea doesn't seem to be improving. The energy level certainly isn't.