Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics > Health and Fitness Forum
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 10-18-2018, 10:06 AM
CAS

Studying for Exam 4
Favorite beer: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsanders33 View Post
There’s low t clinics popping up all over the place, especially in suburban areas with a little money. Almost every dude who walks into one and gets tested will be advised “we can make you feel better and improve your quality of life if we get you a little higher in the optimal t range” and they will be advised to go on TRT. Despite all the claims of polymath and Jaskent, who say they “got educated” and now tout the wonders of TRT, most PCP who are worth a damn will tell men to stay the hell off the hormones.

Look I had some fun with the gnc stories but I also posted a link about Ashwagandha. And I have others. I did research it and came to the conclusion that it far safer and more effective than testosterone. But imo it’s the dietary, fitness, and behavioral stuff that should be fully implemented before you ever reach for a pill. Americans are obsessed with the quick fix take a pill and live like crap and be well.

Egghead, I’m assuming you’re over 50? And sounds like you have a high stress job. I think we would all agree that you need to get you’re sleep issues resolved first. Before you mess with a sleep study I would really give disciplined diet and an hour of hard cardio a day (working up to it) a shot. I know it’s easier said than done.

And don’t listen to all the TRT fanatics. The stuff is garbage and you don’t need it
anti-vaxx too right?
Old 10-18-2018, 10:24 AM
CAS

My father had sleep apnea and did not bother to get treated for it. He eventually had a stroke type event due to an extended period of not getting enough oxygen. He completely lost the ability to speak for a while, but eventually got 95% of his speaking ability back.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:54 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickyfire View Post
anti-vaxx too right?
Lol wow.

I think it’s a testament to how effective the TRT advocates have been in this thread that someone would assume anti-TRT implies anti-vaxx.

As I stated, any decent PCP internist is going to tell the vast majority of dudes who are on TRT to get off it. Of course PM and JS will just tell us these docs need to “get educated” like they did and start pushing the hormones

Otoh the medical community is virtually in total agreement and the positive public health effects of the major vaccinations

Just wow. This thread is a bubble
Old 10-18-2018, 11:07 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
This was my experience. The clinic was run by a former PCP with a phenomenal reputation. My wife, mother, MIL and SIL all went to her. And I think she really believed in what she was doing. But she recently had her medical license ... I'm not sure what the word is. Modified? She is no longer allowed to practice in the area of hormone treatment. So she can't even prescribe birth control pills now. My own PCP was livid when she saw my blood counts, and raged against what she saw as irresponsible treatment. But she overstepped when she had her assistant call to tell me I had acute renal failure. (PCP later admitted she had the assistant exaggerate, with the intention of making sure I got off the shots.)

I'm close to 50, yeah. And, yeah, a pretty darn stressful job.

I've given the diet and cardio a shot. The stressful job makes it tough to get in that kind of exercise time, which in turn adds to the stress level. Don't get me wrong, I know I need to make both a priority. And I've lost some weight. But the apnea doesn't seem to be improving. The energy level certainly isn't.
Good luck. I hope you find some treatment or life change or whatever else that works for you. And I’m sure you’re smart enough to take any advice you get here, from either side of the TRT debate, with a grain of salt. Ultimately every person is unique and hopefully you can find a good doc to help you get the best possible solution and outcome
Old 10-18-2018, 11:21 AM
CAS

Studying for Exam 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsanders33 View Post
Lol wow.

I think it’s a testament to how effective the TRT advocates have been in this thread that someone would assume anti-TRT implies anti-vaxx.

As I stated, any decent PCP internist is going to tell the vast majority of dudes who are on TRT to get off it. Of course PM and JS will just tell us these docs need to “get educated” like they did and start pushing the hormones

Otoh the medical community is virtually in total agreement and the positive public health effects of the major vaccinations

Just wow. This thread is a bubble
It's not a bubble.

All I said was you aren't qualified to hand out medical advice.

Next you'll tell us cancer can be cured with fruits.

What else ya got?
Old 10-18-2018, 11:38 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
...My own PCP was livid when she saw my blood counts, and raged against what she saw as irresponsible treatment. But she overstepped when she had her assistant call to tell me I had acute renal failure. (PCP later admitted she had the assistant exaggerate, with the intention of making sure I got off the shots.)...
That seriously sounds like malpractice. Doctors aren't supposed to make up stuff to force your choices.

And the chick who was stopped from handing out T like candy sounds like a problem, too. I hope your urologist is competent.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:00 PM
CAS

Quote:
It's not a bubble.

All I said was you aren't qualified to hand out medical advice.

Next you'll tell us cancer can be cured with fruits.

What else ya got?
So polymath and jaskent ARE qualified to hand out medical advice?

As I told egghead, anyone reading this thread should take the advice and opinions from both sides with a huge grain of salt. Talk to and work with a doc you trust.

Cancer can’t be cured with fruits. But imo you can greatly reduce your chance of getting cancer by making sound dietary, fitness, and other behavioral choices.

I think there are probably some men who have a legit medical reason for getting on TRT. I also suspect that only a very small percentage of dudes on TRT fall in this category.

The doc egghead described who passed out T like candy is not an anomaly. I am bombarded with ads and bulletin boards for low T clinics. I know how they work because I know dudes who have fallen for it. And the ads always start out with something like “are you over 50 and don’t have the energy, the concentration, and the libido that you used to?” Im like ... no crap, you’re over 50, that describes almost every man over 50. You can slow it down with diet and fitness and smart health choices, but being over 50 ain’t the same as being 30.

Then they get you in there and test you, and pretty much every dude is told “you will feel better and be more energetic if we can boost your T higher into the range”. Almost every guy, if not every guy, who walks into a suburban t clinic will be advised to get on a cream or gel or other.

And I guess the fact that I think these low T clinics are a scam is tantamount to being anti-vaccine or anti cancer treatment

Lmfao wow
Old 10-18-2018, 12:22 PM
CAS

Studying for Exam 4

suspicions and opinions are not medical advice. You aren't in a position to tell someone "stop seeing your doctor and stop your treatment."

You're just not. It's really that simple.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:34 PM
CAS

Quote:
suspicions and opinions are not medical advice. You aren't in a position to tell someone "stop seeing your doctor and stop your treatment."

You're just not. It's really that simple.
Lol ok

I would tell anyone reading this thread to take all advice, suspicions, opinions, and personal experiences— from both pro and anti hormone sides — with a huge grain of salt. Find a doc you trust and work with that doc
Old 10-18-2018, 12:42 PM
CAS

And of course I would add that my opinion, which is clearly not medical advice as I am not a doctor, is that you should not find a doctor you trust at a low t clinic. Look for a pcp, preferably a pcp who is an internist