Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 02-08-2019, 05:04 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for More Money
Favorite beer: Wurzel Bier
Default Cable Modem and Router?

I'm going to be switching over to Cable internet (CableOne). They offer faster speeds than my current provider, and lately we've been experiencing lots of lag. We're currently on a 40 Mbps plan, and CableOne's lowest plan is 100 Mbps. That's what I'm planning on going with, but I'd like to get equipment that can go up to 300 Mbps just for the future.

However, I'm on a budget. I told my wife I could buy the equipment for $150 or less. Any suggestions on Modems and wireless routers? Does it even matter as long as the specs say they can get up to the speeds I want?

FWIW, here's a list of CableOne compatible modems (pretty much any DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem): https://support.cableone.net/hc/en-u...sidential-Only

Any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actuary321 View Post
I would really hate to bring Pokémon to a gun fight.
Old 02-08-2019, 05:09 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for More Money

I'm currently thinking of something like this ($130): https://www.amazon.com/MOTOROLA-MG75.../dp/B01MSTB5KW

Or a separate modem and router: ($60) https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-CM500.../dp/B06XH46MWW and ($90) https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-R6700...dp/B00R2AZLD2/

I honestly am having a hard time understanding the difference between the two options.

Quote:
Old 02-08-2019, 05:10 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Scotch

I moved homes recently, the new cable boxes I got have the modem & router built in. I upgraded to 200 at the old house, so didn't change it back to 100, but so much better connection. They supplied the modem previously, I had purchased the router.

Check with the cable company before purchasing anything - my system is called Altice One
Old 02-08-2019, 10:33 PM
SOA

Renting the equipment isn't a bad idea. When you have an issue, the tech support knows exactly how to help. I recommend getting familiar with and purchasing your own personal router, though. When you buy the router, you always get to customize the security and other features. The routers provided by cable companies often do not have all of the features available. Also, be aware that your internet service rate is probably "introductory" and you will be charged a higher rate one year from now.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:39 PM
CAS

College: Ardnox
Favorite beer: The kind with alcohol

I recently got the Motorola modem+router for my father's apartment. Works fine, although it's not Docsis 3.1, and therefore may not be able to support the highest speed connections (which may not yet be available in your area).

Normally I prefer having my router and my modem be separate gadgets. Some of that is just because that's what I'm used to, but I also suspect that some (but not all) standalone routers have better antenna arrays than what can be crammed into an all-in-one gadget. And, if you are trying to cover a house, especially one with RF-opaque materials inside...antennas make a difference (and invite questions about extenders)
Old 02-11-2019, 09:52 AM
CAS SOA AAA

Studying for Done, bois!
College: UConn
Favorite beer: Barq's or Mug, or any local Root Beer with caffeine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maphisto's Sidekick View Post

(and invite questions about extenders)
We have three eero units (one on each floor) and have been very happy with them. We have cat5 (not 5e or 6 ) running through the house, so every eero is hardwired into the network, which seems to make a big difference.

All opinions are either my own, or made up for dramatic and/or comedic effect.

Old 02-09-2019, 02:21 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for More Money

Thanks for the comments everyone. I talked to a techy friend I have, and got his input as well. I decided to go a little crazy and double my budget. I got Google WiFi nodes, and a (hopefully) nice modem. Both of these should be able to take higher than the internet plan I'm going to get initially, so that if I upgrade in the future I won't have to buy new equipment. We'll see how it works.

Quote:
Old 02-11-2019, 10:09 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruteForce View Post
Thanks for the comments everyone. I talked to a techy friend I have, and got his input as well. I decided to go a little crazy and double my budget. I got Google WiFi nodes, and a (hopefully) nice modem. Both of these should be able to take higher than the internet plan I'm going to get initially, so that if I upgrade in the future I won't have to buy new equipment. We'll see how it works.
I would make sure your modem is compatible with your internet. I bought a modem when I was on Time Warner. Then I moved and the modem wasn't compatible with Optimum.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:35 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for More Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by act_123 View Post
I would make sure your modem is compatible with your internet. I bought a modem when I was on Time Warner. Then I moved and the modem wasn't compatible with Optimum.
I made sure to buy one that was on the list of supported modems. I also made sure I'd be able to return it if it didn't work for some reason.

Quote:
Old 02-11-2019, 11:18 AM
It's a funny name.

(if this is a thread derailment, let me know and I'll start a new one)

Does anybody have any experience with a mesh wifi network? if so, which brand of routers work better than others?

I definitely suffer from signal loss in my house. the modem is in the basement, and I routinely have wifi connectivity issues in my 2nd floor bedroom, despite having an extender on the 2nd floor. Trying to decide if I need to find a way to rewire stuff and get the modem to the main floor, or if spending a couple hundred bucks on a mesh network solves my problems without pulling any wires. Essentially, I'm getting sick of paying for 150Mbps and having to wait while YouTube buffers.