Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Sports
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 04-05-2019, 12:31 PM

ARod the diva, rumors of course. Greg Jennings is cosigning this report

Quote:
Latest revelations make Aaron Rodgers’ contract look like a mistake
Posted by Michael David Smith on April 5, 2019, 8:36 AM EDT

Getty Images
Last offseason, the Packers gave quarterback Aaron Rodgers a huge new contract, making him the highest-paid player in NFL history. The latest revelations about Rodgers’ relationship with the higher-ups in Green Bay raise a simple question: Why?

Why did the Packers give Rodgers an enormous new contract, when they still had him under contract for two more very affordable seasons? If Rodgers were still playing under his old contract, he’d be heading into the final season of that deal, and he would be highly motivated to have his best season ever before hitting free agency.

Instead, Rodgers pocketed a whopping $67 million last year. He has enough “screw you” money that he doesn’t have to be particularly accommodating to his team.

And the revelations from the new report by Tyler Dunne of BleacherReport.com indicate that Rodgers hasn’t always been accommodating in Green Bay. Rodgers apparently held a grudge going all the way back to former coach Mike McCarthy being part of the 49ers’ decision making in the 2005 NFL draft, when the 49ers chose Alex Smith first overall and Rodgers fell to Green Bay with the 24th overall pick. And Packers CEO Mark Murphy reportedly had to order Rodgers not to be the problem after Matt LaFleur was hired as McCarthy’s replacement.

“Don’t be the problem” ought to go without saying for a franchise quarterback. It’s doubtful that Robert Kraft ever had to tell Tom Brady not to be the problem in New England, or that Jim Irsay ever had to tell Peyton Manning not to be the problem in Indianapolis. The mere fact that Murphy felt the need to say those words speaks volumes.

So why did Murphy sign a quarterback who needed to be told not to be a problem to the biggest contract in NFL history? If the Packers hadn’t signed Rodgers to that extension, they’d have a great deal of leverage with him right now: They could tell him, If you’re the problem this season, you won’t be here next season, but if you get back to your MVP form, we’ll reward you with a lucrative contract extension.

As it is, the Packers have given Rodgers so much money that they couldn’t move on from him now if they wanted to: Rodgers’ huge signing bonus means he would have about a $45 million dead cap hit if he were traded. It’s simply not feasible.

The Packers would be in much better shape right now if Rodgers were going into the last year of his contract, motivated to prove any doubters wrong.
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ike-a-mistake/
Old 04-05-2019, 12:42 PM
CAS

Studying for nothing at all

Quote:
If Rodgers were still playing under his old contract, hed be heading into the final season of that deal, and he would be highly motivated to have his best season ever before hitting free agency.
Author lost me here.
I can agree with waiting until this offseason to resign him.
Arguing that they should have let him enter free agency to motivate him for the 2019 season is just garbage analysis of the NFL.

Bourbon(16)
Pappy Van Winkle-Family Reserve 15yr & lot "B" 12yr
Baker's 7yr
Blanton's
Knob Creek - 9yr
Basil Hayden
Maker's Mark - 46 & Cask Strength
Woodford Reserve
Jack Daniel's-Gentleman Jack, Single Barrel & Old #7
Four Roses Small Batch
Noah's Mill
Kirkland Bourbon - 7yr

Rye(6)
Angle Envy's - Finished Rye
Ravenswood Rye
Bulleit
High West - Double Rye
Whistle Pig - 10 yr
Old Overholt

Scotch(4)
Glenfiddich - The Distiller's Edition
Tomatin 12yr
The Dimple Pinch - 15 yr
Dewar's White Label

Irish(6)

Middleton Very Rare
Redbreast 12yr
Bushmill - Single Malt 16 yr
Connemarai
Jameson - Caskmates Stout and Regular
Old 04-05-2019, 02:08 PM
SOA

Finally caught up on my AAFL games on my DVR. I'm hooked. Can't wait to see who wins! I'm sure the NFL teams will be after some of these players.
Old 04-05-2019, 02:39 PM
SOA

College: Yep
Favorite beer: Sweetwater Blue

If you’re the problem this season, you won’t be here next season, but if you get back to your MVP form, we’ll reward you with a lucrative contract extension.

-------

That would make sense if he wasn't a top 3 QB in the NFL and have a spot on pretty much any of the other teams even if he didn't stay in GB - this isn't the NBA where you can sign with the incumbent team for more money. Dude's a jackass - we already knew that. I don't see how things are any different than they were before.

Physical violence as acceptable reaction or outdated masculine bravado as a positive quality is definitely not something the country should be moving towards or qualities we want to see in a President.

Old 04-05-2019, 02:43 PM
SOA

College: Yep
Favorite beer: Sweetwater Blue

If Bell, a RB, can sit out a season and then sign with a new team in a manner that's financially positive, then Rodgers definitely can.

It's laughable that the author thinks that GB has the leverage in that situation.

If GB wanted to move on, they should have established the team culture and traded him

Physical violence as acceptable reaction or outdated masculine bravado as a positive quality is definitely not something the country should be moving towards or qualities we want to see in a President.

Old 04-05-2019, 02:54 PM

I don't think you could be saltier than Greg Jennings is towards the packers and Rodgers.

And suggesting letting the best QB in the NFL walk in free agency is one of the dumbest things I've read in a while.
Old 04-05-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard100 View Post
Finally caught up on my AAFL games on my DVR. I'm hooked. Can't wait to see who wins! I'm sure the NFL teams will be after some of these players.
I know you're being sarcastic but at least 3 players have already signed with NFL teams
Old 04-05-2019, 03:43 PM

So, I assumed AAFL was a sort of competitor league, but if games were on NFL Network then apparently not? Weird that they would try to be - a developmental league? off-season workout league? not sure what they were trying for - and NFL would cooperate without having ownership/control.
Old 04-05-2019, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivamS View Post
Dude's a jackass - we already knew that. I don't see how things are any different than they were before.
Do we know that? I don't really get the hate, but don't follow NFL that closely I guess. Agree that he could easily sign elsewhere and it's silly to act like any team has the upper hand on an elite QB in the current league.
Old 04-05-2019, 04:23 PM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for ACAS
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Most German dark lagers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
So, I assumed AAFL was a sort of competitor league, but if games were on NFL Network then apparently not? Weird that they would try to be - a developmental league? off-season workout league? not sure what they were trying for - and NFL would cooperate without having ownership/control.
My understanding is that the NFL could "test" various procedures/rules "in reality" before trying to implement them in the NFL.

Why should I worry about dying? Its not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES