Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > MAS-II
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson
Actuarial Jobs

Visit our site for the most up to date jobs for actuaries.

Actuarial Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Health, Life, Pension and Non-Tradtional Jobs.

Actuarial Meeting Schedule
Browse this year's meetings and which recruiters will attend.

Contact DW Simpson
Have a question?
Let's talk.
You'll be glad you did.

Old 07-11-2019, 07:19 PM
CAS

Dear study material makers,

Please come up with some decent stuff for MAS-II, some of us can't avoid it any longer . No $700 incomplete seminars or quickly rushed out textbooks with incorrect solutions.

Thanks,

Likely a Spring 2020 MAS-II Taker.
Old 07-21-2019, 10:18 PM
CAS SOA

College: NAU

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBurnsStrong View Post
I took MAS-II this spring and passed. I read the source material twice and used TIA as well. My first time through the source material, I took note of formulas and key points (based off the syllabus) to create my own formula/review sheet. I also worked through the R code, both in the text and the exercises/homework, in the textbooks and saved the output in an R Markdown document. I found saving the R output in R Markdown to be one of the most helpful things because it allowed me to easily look at the output during my second pass to more easily try to apply the concepts discussed in the textbooks without waiting for R to run. I found TIA helpful to review after I read the source material and to work some exercises (mostly found in the videos).
Hopefully, this should prove to be very helpful.
Old 07-22-2019, 03:12 PM
CAS

Just made it through Tse (Part A of syll). I really like the material so far!
Old 07-25-2019, 01:10 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by grape View Post
Ok quick practical question. I see each case study has a long section on software, and the cover some of the same setup on each kind of software. It feels like I should just skip everything but the R parts of these sections. Anyone doing elsewise?
Yep! lol
lightly skimming these
Old 07-25-2019, 01:12 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by actuaryintraining12345 View Post
Thanks for the helpful response. As someone who is not eperienced with R-Code, I am hoping I will be able to find an adequate amount of practice questions that don't require R. I am assuming like MAS1, that MAS2 does not require candidates to be proficient with coding languages or directly test with R.
I would seriously recommend doing R. Learning R is not hard and it's free software. It also will help your career.
Old 07-26-2019, 07:47 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by relaxiii View Post
I would seriously recommend doing R. Learning R is not hard and it's free software. It also will help your career.
Agreed. Much of the R code is already supplied on the book websites by the authors of the texts or can easily be found saved elsewhere on the internet by someone else who worked through it. Normally I would advise doing it yourself to better understand the code; however, if you are not familiar with R, for purposes of studying for this exam, I would point you toward finding existing code. Understanding what goes into the code (even if you are just reading through code someone else produced) can help you understand what is happening and ultimately the output, which is tested.
Old 08-12-2019, 07:40 PM
CAS

Just got TIA