Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Long-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson
Actuarial Jobs

Visit our site for the most up to date jobs for actuaries.

Actuarial Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Health, Life, Pension and Non-Tradtional Jobs.

Actuarial Meeting Schedule
Browse this year's meetings and which recruiters will attend.

Contact DW Simpson
Have a question?
Let's talk.
You'll be glad you did.

Long-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam MLC Forum

Old 05-19-2010, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backpocket9ball View Post
The texts are completely unnecessary. Abe does a magnificently thorough job with his manual, and in the occasional cases where the two texts differ in their notation or coverage of the material, Abe lets you know.

Yeah I know ASM is the best. I ordered it but I'm waiting for it to be released. Meanwhile, my text will arrive today. Thanks for the input on the texts though.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:32 AM
SOA

Studying for the hell of it...
College: AASU
Favorite beer: This one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahl1286 View Post
Yeah I know ASM is the best. I ordered it but I'm waiting for it to be released. Meanwhile, my text will arrive today. Thanks for the input on the texts though.
same situation here... really i don't even care about using the text, but after getting violated by MFE last week i am uber-motivated to start preparing early for MLC (even if it is supposed to be much more straight forward)
Old 05-19-2010, 11:23 AM
SOA

Studying for Nothing!
Favorite beer: depends on the day - local craft though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahl1286 View Post
SBQ! I'm sooo glad you are moving on to MLC with me! we'll be so popular over here just like in MFE last time!
I've already been called infamous in this thread. I will try to hijack less MLC threads though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by backpocket9ball View Post
The texts are completely unnecessary. Abe does a magnificently thorough job with his manual, and in the occasional cases where the two texts differ in their notation or coverage of the material, Abe lets you know.
Harold Cherry did this in the FM ASM manual as well. Like my original comment, I feel that if there are 2 options for texts, the SOA won't pull a random sentence from the text. Plus, MLC has been around so much longer that the study manuals are much more "polished" than for MFE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyalDragon View Post
same situation here... really i don't even care about using the text, but after getting violated by MFE last week i am uber-motivated to start preparing early for MLC (even if it is supposed to be much more straight forward)
Old 05-19-2010, 11:53 AM

Skip all the texts and even the manuals...buy TIA seminar, do all of the problems James has on there and you will pass for sure!
Old 05-19-2010, 12:05 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by grateful View Post
Skip all the texts and even the manuals...buy TIA seminar, do all of the problems James has on there and you will pass for sure!
No way are TIA's problems better than the ones in ASM. Which are mostly old exam questions. And if you don't have a job there is an enormous difference in price. The last part of your sentence which ends with "you will pass for sure" will never be true.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:19 PM
SOA

College: Caltech, Class of 2000

Chapter 2 of Actuarial Mathematics was a breeze; considering it was review, it's a good sign.

Now the real challenge begins.

I want to really understand the material backwards and forwards - instead of learning just enough to pass the exam. I have a feeling that some of the concepts will prove to be crucial once I start work; it may prove useful to have more than just a superficial knowledge of the concepts.

Well, we shall see. Progress is smooth so far; I'd like to keep this up for another 5 1/2 months.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Force of Interest View Post
No way are TIA's problems better than the ones in ASM. Which are mostly old exam questions. And if you don't have a job there is an enormous difference in price. The last part of your sentence which ends with "you will pass for sure" will never be true.
I think every single old exam question is included in TIA questions, or it must be close at least. If you do all of the problems in TIA, you have a very good chance of passing. Plus, TIA teaches the intuitive version of the material, which makes it much easier to understand and a lot quicker to do problems. I think that it is a waste of time to read the text. And from my experience, people who spend three months reading the text get burned out and do not study enough during the next three months, or do enough problems and end up failing. Just my opinion though, so to each his own.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:16 PM
SOA

College: Caltech, Class of 2000

Let's remember that everyone has different studying techniques and learning styles - what works for one person might not work for another.

The techniques I use work great for me, but I would not recommend it for most people. That's just how it is.

I would like to do what it takes to be really, REALLY well prepared for the exam... and hopefully do well! The rest is secondary.

I'm about to hit Chapter 3 of Actuarial Mathematics. I'll keep you posted.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:09 AM

I couldn't agree more DS, with everything you say. I am going through the text as well. The way I see it, seeing the material from two different sources will help me understand the material, not simply prepare to take the exam. Probably borrow a manual from a coworker in the final months for topics I still struggle with.

I am working through CH 3 of Actuarial Math and so far it's not too bad. I haven't reached any problems yet, though.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:42 AM
SOA

Studying for Nothing!
Favorite beer: depends on the day - local craft though!

I printed out the table of contents for the ASM manual from the samples at actuarialbookstore. I also printed a blank calendar for May-November. I'm trying to plan my study schedule. I also started thinking of ways to convice the powers that be that the TIA seminar is worth the money for me to attend.

That is my progress thus far. I have a short business trip next week and I'm debating whether to take the first couple of sections of ASM or just a silly chick lit novel for airport/airplane/hotel entertainment.

Tags
nov 2010 sitting, progress thread