Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Old 10-25-2019, 11:51 AM
SOA

Default Dead Router / New solution

My router was a netgear nighthawk 1750 (r6700v2), which worked pretty well as long as firmware was up to date. Tried to update it yesterday and about half way through it randomly got corrupted. Tried manually updating it through their FTFP instructions, but kept getting errors trying to ping the router so I'm led to believe it's somewhat dead.

Rather than buy a new router right away, I'm trying to decide what will be the best setup when I move. We're building a new construction home that will be done in 3 weeks, and in this home we have 5 ethernet ports around the house that will all be wired back to an enclosure in our laundry room (middle of second floor). Originally that's where I'd put our router and maybe set up an access point downstairs for better signal, but I'm wondering if there's a better solution.

First, since there are 5 ports, I think we'd need to get a switch anyway since most routers only have 4 (at least our old one did). With that in mind, can I put the ISP's modem and a switch in that enclosure that's connected to the 5 ethernet cables, then put a wireless router downstairs plugged into one of those jacks and have desktop computers / TVs plugged into the other jacks around the house that connect directly to the switch? As in, there won't be any networking problems if my hardline connections go through the switch instead of through a router, and the router is connected to the switch just to produce a wireless signal?

I'm thinking of getting the new google nest wifi: https://store.google.com/product/nest_wifi

with the router downstairs in the great room/kitchen area, and one point upstairs in our bedroom to extend / strengthen the signal upstairs. Thoughts?
Old 10-25-2019, 11:55 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for More Money
Favorite beer: Wurzel Bier

I don't know about the new google nest wifi, but I have the older google wifi mesh system and I really like it. I'm assuming the new version would be even better.

https://www.amazon.com/Google-WiFi-s...2015259&sr=8-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actuary321 View Post
I would really hate to bring Pokémon to a gun fight.
Old 10-25-2019, 11:56 AM
SOA

Favorite beer: The Meddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruteForce View Post
I don't know about the new google nest wifi, but I have the older google wifi mesh system and I really like it. I'm assuming the new version would be even better.

https://www.amazon.com/Google-WiFi-s...2015259&sr=8-3
Agree. Got a 3-pack on sale at CostCo iirc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QMO View Post
I'll tell you straight up that I think my religion is better than yours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scars View Post
Outside the context of my faith, I am not intolerant of you ... If anything here, you're being a bit of a bigot towards me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Descalzo View Post
I thought that's what I was saying, exactly. One day I (or people like me) will be thought of exactly as you and I think of racists in the deep south.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginormous76 View Post
I put the whole cob in my mouth and suck the kernels right off in one swift motion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentle Giant View Post
What 6-year-old boy didn't occasionally stick his junk between his legs during bathtime just to say, "Look, Mommy, I'm a girl!" as a joke?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boba Fett Cake Pan View Post
I can see having a discussion about magic potions vs. pharmaceuticals in a chemistry class. I think that's a good idea.
Old 10-25-2019, 12:03 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjPim View Post
My router was a netgear nighthawk 1750 (r6700v2), which worked pretty well as long as firmware was up to date. Tried to update it yesterday and about half way through it randomly got corrupted. Tried manually updating it through their FTFP instructions, but kept getting errors trying to ping the router so I'm led to believe it's somewhat dead.

Rather than buy a new router right away, I'm trying to decide what will be the best setup when I move. We're building a new construction home that will be done in 3 weeks, and in this home we have 5 ethernet ports around the house that will all be wired back to an enclosure in our laundry room (middle of second floor). Originally that's where I'd put our router and maybe set up an access point downstairs for better signal, but I'm wondering if there's a better solution.

First, since there are 5 ports, I think we'd need to get a switch anyway since most routers only have 4 (at least our old one did). With that in mind, can I put the ISP's modem and a switch in that enclosure that's connected to the 5 ethernet cables, then put a wireless router downstairs plugged into one of those jacks and have desktop computers / TVs plugged into the other jacks around the house that connect directly to the switch? As in, there won't be any networking problems if my hardline connections go through the switch instead of through a router, and the router is connected to the switch just to produce a wireless signal?

I'm thinking of getting the new google nest wifi: https://store.google.com/product/nest_wifi

with the router downstairs in the great room/kitchen area, and one point upstairs in our bedroom to extend / strengthen the signal upstairs. Thoughts?
My BIL who works in IT was selling me on the nest when I was thinking about getting a better router (ended up switching cable companies and they had us "rent" an updated one which ended up being good enough for my purposes).

But the nest thing seemed super cool. Apparently internet as good as if you were hard wired, but wirelessly throughout because of the way the little ports work together.
Old 10-25-2019, 12:11 PM
SOA

Yeah, I'm really liking the idea of the nest wifi. From what I'm reading, I can't tell if the nest router itself also doubles as a smart speaker with google assistant, or if that's just the additional points. Under tech specs, speaker/microphone only lists specs under the access point. Most tech articles seem to advertise the router itself being one too, but I think they're wrong?

In that case, I'm more tempted to get the pack with router + 2 points, put the router in the enclosure or room next to it, then one point in our bedroom and one in the kitchen area, since those are the two places we'd want smart speakers and it would get more of a triangle configuration.

It's $80 more to add the second point, but if I just get the one now and change my mind, they're $150 each. Yikes.
Old 10-25-2019, 12:16 PM
CAS

Quote:
Yeah, I'm really liking the idea of the nest wifi. From what I'm reading, I can't tell if the nest router itself also doubles as a smart speaker with google assistant, or if that's just the additional points. Under tech specs, speaker/microphone only lists specs under the access point. Most tech articles seem to advertise the router itself being one too, but I think they're wrong?

In that case, I'm more tempted to get the pack with router + 2 points, put the router in the enclosure or room next to it, then one point in our bedroom and one in the kitchen area, since those are the two places we'd want smart speakers and it would get more of a triangle configuration.

It's $80 more to add the second point, but if I just get the one now and change my mind, they're $150 each. Yikes.
Yeah that's what put me off in the end, $200 or whatever for the nest. At first when my internet was sh*t I was gonna do it but turned out my router was just super old so it became a non-issue.

Though it did seem to have cool features, typical of a Google device. Like ability to see how much volume any device is using, etc.
Old 10-25-2019, 12:28 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for More Money

And the ability to pause internet to a group of devices at scheduled times. I've used that before with the kids.

One downside is that each one (of the version I have, I haven't looked at the new ones) only has 1 output ethernet port. It turned out ok for me, but I could see it being annoying to have to buy a separate switch if you need more than one thing hardwired.

Quote:
Old 10-25-2019, 12:33 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruteForce View Post
One downside is that each one (of the version I have, I haven't looked at the new ones) only has 1 output ethernet port. It turned out ok for me, but I could see it being annoying to have to buy a separate switch if you need more than one thing hardwired.
I think I'll have a solution for that, from the first post. My plan was to have a switch (like, 10 ports) in my enclosure, so Modem -> Switch -> all ethernet ports in the house (5 being prewired). 1 of those ports will have the router, the others will be direct connections to desktop PC's / work laptop / smart TV's. Other laptops / phones will be on wireless.

That should work, right?
Old 10-25-2019, 12:45 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for More Money

Quote:
I think I'll have a solution for that, from the first post. My plan was to have a switch (like, 10 ports) in my enclosure, so Modem -> Switch -> all ethernet ports in the house (5 being prewired). 1 of those ports will have the router, the others will be direct connections to desktop PC's / work laptop / smart TV's. Other laptops / phones will be on wireless.

That should work, right?
Seems like it would work to me!

Just make sure that the router can handle whatever level of internet you have coming in. For some reason when I bought the Google WiFi, it was hard for me to figure out what level of internet it could handle. I think I have 300mb/s coming in, so I just needed it to be able to handle at least that much.

Quote:
Old 10-25-2019, 12:56 PM
CAS

Studying for nothing at all

This is somewhat similar to my setup, except that I do not have the ethernet ports everywhere.

Amplifi HD mesh router and a basic switch at the entertainment center, so that everything on the main floor is wired.
Wifi signal is strong on all three stories of my house, with speed tests consistently over 90% of the 300/300 that comes into the house.

Highly recommend the amplifi HD mesh router.

Bourbon(16)
Pappy Van Winkle-Family Reserve 15yr & lot "B" 12yr
Baker's 7yr
Blanton's
Knob Creek - 9yr
Basil Hayden
Maker's Mark - 46 & Cask Strength
Woodford Reserve
Jack Daniel's-Gentleman Jack, Single Barrel & Old #7
Four Roses Small Batch
Noah's Mill
Kirkland Bourbon - 7yr