Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 10-11-2019, 01:02 AM
SOA

Thumbs up Has your company switched from Windows 7 to Microsoft 365?

Many companies use Microsoft Office and Windows products. So far Windows 7 and Microsoft Office 2010 products are still supported until Jan 2020 and Oct 2020 respectively.

If your company still uses Windows 7 as main operating system, will it switch to the package of Microsoft 365 (Office + Windows 10) after Jan 2020?

Here's the Microsoft explanation of Windows 7 end of support. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/micr...dows-7-support
Old 11-14-2019, 04:57 PM
SOA

Office 2016 was a mistake. Don't @ me.
Old 11-14-2019, 05:33 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for LTAM
College: Drake University Alum
Favorite beer: New Glarus Spotted Cow

Here, if you got a new computer within the last 6 months, it was Windows 365 on it. I just started full-time in June and I have it. Most of the people who have been here longer don't have it yet, and the transition has been moving slow.

I haven't had any problems with...yet...
Old 11-14-2019, 06:43 PM
CAS

Not yet but we're planning to make the move for the reason referenced.
Old 11-14-2019, 06:44 PM

I am not allowed to give out that information.
Old 11-15-2019, 01:13 PM

Yes, I have started the transition, just bought my first Windows 10 desktop in September. I have installed Windows 10 on my wife's desktop, but she used that at the office since 2018.

I also purchased two more copies of Windows 10 to upgrade our laptops too. And I signed up for the Office 365 license. A bit of a learning curve for me ...

Now offering online seminars and everything else under the sun for actuarial exams.
EA-2F and EA-2L and EA-1
Old 11-15-2019, 04:15 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_G View Post
I also purchased two more copies of Windows 10 to upgrade our laptops too.
Return them if it's not too late. You can still upgrade to Win 10 for free, by downloading the ISO from Microsoft and installing it on a freshly formatted drive. You enter the old Windows 7 or 8 product key during the installation process, and it will activate successfully. I've personally done that with an old Windows 7 desktop.

With laptops, you might not even have to enter the product key, as many laptops that came with Win 7 or 8 preinstalled have the Windows key embedded in the BIOS storage.
"...there are two different types of Christianity. One is a movement of people who want to live and be like Jesus. The other (and far more common, far more powerful) is a civil and political religion that is simply named Christianity. The civil political religion named Christianity is addicted to both political power and violence, and thus finds the message of Jesus offensive." https://www.patheos.com/blogs/former...it-looks-like/
Old 11-15-2019, 04:30 PM
CAS

Studying for this space for rent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incredible Hulctuary View Post
Return them if it's not too late. You can still upgrade to Win 10 for free, by downloading the ISO from Microsoft and installing it on a freshly formatted drive. You enter the old Windows 7 or 8 product key during the installation process, and it will activate successfully. I've personally done that with an old Windows 7 desktop.
I have done this with my home computer build as well. My work computer moved to Windows 10 earlier this year.

Old 11-15-2019, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incredible Hulctuary View Post

With laptops, you might not even have to enter the product key, as many laptops that came with Win 7 or 8 preinstalled have the Windows key embedded in the BIOS storage.
I have no intention of using Windows 10 home. I need to have control over the Windows updates process, so I bought Windows 10 Pro.

I use Remote Desktop to manage other PCs on the network. Too many times that Microsoft critical updates totally broke PCs that were running Windows 10 in the past 12 months. But I do keep weekly backups as a safety net.

Now offering online seminars and everything else under the sun for actuarial exams.
EA-2F and EA-2L and EA-1
Old 11-15-2019, 06:47 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_G View Post
I have no intention of using Windows 10 home. I need to have control over the Windows updates process, so I bought Windows 10 Pro.
Win 7 Pro or 8 Pro upgrades to Win 10 Pro. But yeah, if what if you have is the Home version of 7 or 8, you have to pay to get Win 10 Pro.
"...there are two different types of Christianity. One is a movement of people who want to live and be like Jesus. The other (and far more common, far more powerful) is a civil and political religion that is simply named Christianity. The civil political religion named Christianity is addicted to both political power and violence, and thus finds the message of Jesus offensive." https://www.patheos.com/blogs/former...it-looks-like/