Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 02-28-2019, 01:56 PM
CAS

For some reason we got off cycles, my wife's phone is a year behind mine. Meaning my free upgrade is always a year ahead of hers.
Old 02-28-2019, 01:58 PM
CAS

My S8 actually works great, except it has two annoying problems.

1) The usb c port must be damaged because my cables keep falling out (but they don't fall out of my wife's phone).
2) The headphone jack must be damaged because all my wired headphones fall out. I had to buy wireless headphones because of this.

I am debating keeping it another year because it works fine. However, it is really annoying when I have my android auto running in my car and it disappears because the usb lost connection because my phones port is bad from being dropped on the floor too many times.
Old 02-28-2019, 02:42 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by act_123 View Post
My S8 actually works great, except it has two annoying problems.

1) The usb c port must be damaged because my cables keep falling out (but they don't fall out of my wife's phone).
2) The headphone jack must be damaged because all my wired headphones fall out. I had to buy wireless headphones because of this.

I am debating keeping it another year because it works fine. However, it is really annoying when I have my android auto running in my car and it disappears because the usb lost connection because my phones port is bad from being dropped on the floor too many times.
My suggestion is to invest in a heavy duty protective case in the future. Unicorn Beetle makes good ones for Samsung.
Old 02-28-2019, 02:55 PM
CAS

Well what the problem was it fell on the floor while plugged in. So the cable and port got messed up. Even if I had a heavy duty case, I don't think it would help.
Old 02-28-2019, 04:16 PM
CAS

I don't like heavy protective cases. I like small light phones that fit in my hands and in my pocket. I've broken a screen once in, hmm, nearly 20 years of owning expensive fragile gadgets. (I had a Palm Pilot back in the day.) I can afford to pay for hat rate of breakage.
Old 02-28-2019, 05:10 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by act_123 View Post
Might just be lint in the headphone jack. I’ve had that happen a couple of times: the headphones wouldn’t click in quite right, and the music would play for a bit before losing connection and stopping. If the phone spends a good chunk of the day in your pocket, lint will just accumulate in the hole, especially if you have the phone upside down with the jack pointed up. I just used a paperclip to get the lint out, and it was fine after that. One of those compressed air canisters is probably better though.

The USB-C port might have the same issue. I actually had to replace my S8 phone via warranty because the USB-C connection was wonky: the phone would say “Incomplete Connection” when trying to charge, and any actual charging was super slow and barely enough to offset the battery usage from the phone sitting idle. Fortunately, the warranty covered it, but if it wouldn’t have, I was considering buying one of those wireless charging pads. I’ve used them at coffee shops before, and they’re pretty good.
Old 02-28-2019, 05:48 PM
CAS

Yes I get incomplete connection about 70% of the time it's pretty annoying. That's covered under the warranty?

My phone is 1.5 years old. Not sure how long Verizon has a manufacturing warranty with Samsung.

Last edited by act_123; 02-28-2019 at 05:54 PM..
Old 02-28-2019, 10:37 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonactuarialactuary View Post
Might just be lint in the headphone jack. I’ve had that happen a couple of times: the headphones wouldn’t click in quite right, and the music would play for a bit before losing connection and stopping. If the phone spends a good chunk of the day in your pocket, lint will just accumulate in the hole, especially if you have the phone upside down with the jack pointed up. I just used a paperclip to get the lint out, and it was fine after that. One of those compressed air canisters is probably better though.

The USB-C port might have the same issue. I actually had to replace my S8 phone via warranty because the USB-C connection was wonky: the phone would say “Incomplete Connection” when trying to charge, and any actual charging was super slow and barely enough to offset the battery usage from the phone sitting idle. Fortunately, the warranty covered it, but if it wouldn’t have, I was considering buying one of those wireless charging pads. I’ve used them at coffee shops before, and they’re pretty good.
Wow thanks for the advice. I now can plug in my phone. Got a ton of lint out and its holding a lot better.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:46 PM
CAS

I should have thought of that! I "fixed" my husband's phone by taking lint out of the micro USB port once. Same thing, the phone was barely usable because it was so hard to charge. I used two needles like tiny chopsticks and pulled out a lot of lint, and it was fine after that.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:32 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty View Post
Because phones get better, and realistically, I know I will want a new one in less than 4 years. Also, the batteries get weaker over time. Planned obsolescence.
i'm no battery expert, but i don't think planned obsolescence is why batteries degrade over time.