Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 09-12-2017, 03:51 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by The President View Post
I'm thinking I'll be getting a 65" 4K TV. Samsung/LG/Sony all have HDR models around $1500.

Is the HDR worth the $400-500 upgrade?

Is the next generation worth waiting for?

What about Vizio?
Many experts say that HDR is a more noticeable upgrade than 4K. It seems that Dolby Vision is a specific version of HDR that may be worth making sure your TV can do.
Old 09-12-2017, 03:53 PM
CAS AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
Many experts say that HDR is a more noticeable upgrade than 4K. It seems that Dolby Vision is a specific version of HDR that may be worth making sure your TV can do.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:23 PM
SOA

Quote:
It seems that Dolby Vision is a specific version of HDR that may be worth making sure your TV can do.
So apparently, Dolby Vision is a new version of HDR that on paper seems better than HDR10, but there is very little content out there to judge which is better. Meanwhile, Samsung is coming out with HDR10+ to compete with Dolby Vision. So there may be a bit of a format war on HDR.

Fortunately, TVs these days can do firmware updates, so they have some ability to keep up with these evolving standards. But like anything, you have to have an adequate processor in your TV to handle any new firmware.

Meanwhile, QLED seems an interesting technology. Today, QLED is nothing more than last year's "quantum dot" technology, which delivers a more refined LCD picture, but still has its inherent limitations. The future state of QLED will be more like OLED, where each pixel is "emissive" and thus would no longer require a backlight. Some people are saying it's worth waiting until QLED advances to the point of being both emissive and affordable. Online "experts" predict that may be 5 years from now.

Of course, one can spend their lives waiting for the next big thing...

Last edited by Egghead; 09-13-2017 at 05:38 PM..
Old 09-13-2017, 06:19 PM
CAS

Favorite beer: Stone 11th Anniversary Ale

This is supposedly the best (LG C7P) and this place has it for about $1500 less than Amazon. Anyone know what's up with that?

http://www.joesav.com/LG-LED-HDTV-p/...QaAi9NEALw_wcB
Old 09-13-2017, 06:30 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahow View Post
Specifically, we've had a full-sized keyboard sitting on our coffee table for years to control the Kodi media center I've got hooked up. I went in and turned on CEC in the TV's setting and now I can select movies and move around on Kodi with the TV's remote.
Is that Kodi on an Android box, or Kodi on a PC? CEC doesn't work on my Kodi PC setup (although I haven't put much effort or research into getting it to work, given that I use the PC for other things so I need the keyboard nearby anyway).
Old 09-13-2017, 07:18 PM
CAS

Favorite beer: Stone 11th Anniversary Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incredible Hulctuary View Post
Is that Kodi on an Android box, or Kodi on a PC? CEC doesn't work on my Kodi PC setup (although I haven't put much effort or research into getting it to work, given that I use the PC for other things so I need the keyboard nearby anyway).
It is actually OSMC on a Raspberry Pi 3. OSMC is based on Kodi.

Kodi should include libCEC since about two years ago.

CEC has to be set up on the device the remote is from. So in my setup, I went to the Settings>CEC menu of my Vizio TV while OSMC was powered up and it detected it automatically and I toggled it to "enable". It just worked after that.
Old 09-15-2017, 03:31 PM
SOA

I'm going to watch deals around Black Friday and Super Bowl. I'm more and more tempted by the Sony X900E in a 65". Goes for $1,999 and was $1,799 over Labor Day weekend. My local Best Buy has it on the same wall with sets going for $1K or $2K higher, and it looked nearly indistinguishable.

My wife says I should get the TV I really want, even if it's more expensive. But I think TV's are one of those things that will just continue to improve. So it's probably better to get the technology that has just dropped in price, and not the latest and greatest.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:39 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahow View Post
It is actually OSMC on a Raspberry Pi 3. OSMC is based on Kodi.

Kodi should include libCEC since about two years ago.

CEC has to be set up on the device the remote is from. So in my setup, I went to the Settings>CEC menu of my Vizio TV while OSMC was powered up and it detected it automatically and I toggled it to "enable". It just worked after that.
The video card needs to support CEC, which the 6+ year old card in the PC probably doesn't.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:59 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
My wife says I should get the TV I really want, even if it's more expensive. But I think TV's are one of those things that will just continue to improve. So it's probably better to get the technology that has just dropped in price, and not the latest and greatest.
If you want to stave off upgraditis, get 4K + HDR + OLED to cover all bases. But you might have to wait a year to get a price you'll like.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:40 PM
SOA

Studying for gonzo?
Favorite beer: gonzo!

just wait 5 years then they'll have 16K UUHD tvs