Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 02-23-2018, 10:43 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutral Omen View Post
shopping for a second small tv. 43" 4k 120hz is just $100 more, so at least for low sizes I don't see why you'd go 1080p now. Don't own any 4k now, but as I understand Netflix 4k is extra.

PS, hopefully you're not buying anything below 120hz unless you like soap operas and things that suck.
I was named after a character on a soap opera

Yeah. I semi-cheaped out on my last TV.

43" seems too small for 4k, indeed.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:05 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutral Omen View Post
shopping for a second small tv.
Look how far the TV marketplace has come, with 43 inches now being called a "small TV".

Quote:
43" 4k 120hz is just $100 more, so at least for low sizes I don't see why you'd go 1080p now.
At 43 inches, it's not even worth $50 extra for 4K imo. Maybe it would be if I were 20 years younger and my eyes could notice the finer details, but not now in my 40s.

Last edited by Incredible Hulctuary; 02-23-2018 at 07:10 PM..
Old 02-25-2018, 06:23 AM
SOA

Favorite beer: New Albanian Anything

You can get 55" 4K TV's for well under $500, why fiddle with anything smaller than that? Even in a bedroom, they are so light and easily hung on a wall or whatever, it doesn't make much sense to me.
Old 02-25-2018, 01:58 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgtatum View Post
You can get 55" 4K TV's for well under $500, why fiddle with anything smaller than that? Even in a bedroom, they are so light and easily hung on a wall or whatever, it doesn't make much sense to me.
Depends on the size and layout of the bedroom and what else is in it. Larger TVs in a bedroom can get in the way of a bookcase, wall shelf, desk shelf, closet door, bathroom door, bedroom door, gun safe, window, light switch or whatever else might be in the way.

I have a 43-incher in my bedroom, and anything larger would have to be off-center relative to the viewing position, otherwise it would block the closet door.

And even in a living room where overall space might not be a problem, the furniture the TV sits on can be a limitation; it may have shelves above or beside where the TV sits (like the pic below, for example). Then it's not just $500 for the TV, but also another $500 or more to buy other furniture with enough space to accommodate the larger TV.

Last edited by Incredible Hulctuary; 02-25-2018 at 02:14 PM..
Old 02-26-2018, 03:39 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese

I'm letting my sister have my 50" vizio. They need a TV. I don't really need one but it's an excuse to upgrade. OLED is still so expensive. Wonder what I can get for like $1000...
Old 02-26-2018, 03:43 PM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Civil Society Fresh IPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmajor View Post
I'm letting my sister have my 50" vizio. They need a TV. I don't really need one but it's an excuse to upgrade. OLED is still so expensive. Wonder what I can get for like $1000...
How do you figure? I'm hard pressed to remember a time when the shiny new generation of TV technology was this cheap.
Old 02-26-2018, 04:10 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Sam Smith Oatmeal

Quote:
Check out the Vizio M Series. We got one, because I was tired of dropping $3k. I have an old Pioneer Elite plasma and a Samsung 9000 series. The Vizio isnít world class, but at the price itís a very, very good panel.
Old 02-26-2018, 04:11 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Frankly View Post
Check out the Vizio M Series. We got one, because I was tired of dropping $3k. I have an old Pioneer Elite plasma and a Samsung 9000 series. The Vizio isnít world class, but at the price itís a very, very good panel.
My current TV is an older M series. It's pretty decent.

Here's the best reviewed OLED at $1600:
LG Electronics OLED55B7A
Old 02-26-2018, 04:12 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonlnear View Post
How do you figure? I'm hard pressed to remember a time when the shiny new generation of TV technology was this cheap.
Agree, and prices fall quickly as the tech ages quickly. I’m wondering, though, if it’s better to buy a $1k TV every 3 years, versus buying a $3k TV every decade.

I know, I should be buying a $500 TV every fifteen years. /actuary
Old 02-26-2018, 04:15 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
My current TV is an older M series. It's pretty decent.

Here's the best reviewed OLED at $1600:
LG Electronics OLED55B7A
$1600 is Ďabout a grand?í LOL.

The OLED panels are slick though. Might want to get to Chicago and see what the new place looks like before you make a move here. One less thing to move, and the one you mention will be $100 cheaper in four weeks!