Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Actuarial Science Universities Forum > University of Waterloo
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

2016 ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

University of Waterloo Mary Hardy - Professor
Ken Seng Tan - Professor / Advisor
http://www.stats.uwaterloo.ca

Old 01-25-2014, 11:31 PM
Non-Actuary

College: Carleton University
Canada What happens now that SOA declined UAP?

Hi, I'm interested in applying for M.Act.Sci in 2016.
As far as I understand, SOA has declined CIA's request to accept the University Accreditation Program. M.Act.Sci's website indicates there are exemptions for four preliminary SOA exams, one CIA exam, and ten of the British exams. What happens now that the SOA has declined the program? Does this mean that graduates are only recognized for passing one preliminary CIA exam if they are looking to find a job in Canada? Are the British exams recognized at all by Canadian employees?
Old 01-26-2014, 03:48 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspru View Post
Hi, I'm interested in applying for M.Act.Sci in 2016.
As far as I understand, SOA has declined CIA's request to accept the University Accreditation Program. M.Act.Sci's website indicates there are exemptions for four preliminary SOA exams, one CIA exam, and ten of the British exams. What happens now that the SOA has declined the program? Does this mean that graduates are only recognized for passing one preliminary CIA exam if they are looking to find a job in Canada? Are the British exams recognized at all by Canadian employees?
The recent declination by the SOA of the Canadian UAP request has complicated life for Canadian actuarial students. It means that the CIA, but not the SOA, gives exam credit for the UAP. It is difficult to say how widely recognized the Canadian UAP will become (CAS does recognize it). A safe option for a Canadian actuarial student may well be to put in the additional time and continue writing the SOA exams even where CIA exam credits are possible through the UAP. If you intend to do nothing but Canadian work for the rest of your life it may not matter: however at your stage of life you may want to keep all options open.

The rules for recognition of other countries' exams and designations are summarized on the CIA site so I would suggest you check that site to answer your other questions and check with the CIA educational staff if you still have unanswered questions?
Old 01-26-2014, 03:58 PM

You should have no problem passing the exams with minimal additional study, right?
Old 01-26-2014, 08:27 PM
SOA

Studying for SDM
College: Humor

As far as I know, the M. ActSci Program offered by UWaterloo will remain unaffected by the UAP. The preliminary exam exemptions originally offered by the program were unrelated to the UAP.

ERM CFE SDM FSA Modules
. . . . . . . . . . . .

Tags
m.act.sci, soa, uap, university accreditation, waterloo