Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Chat with the Candidates & Exam Committee
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register

Chat with the Candidates & Exam Committee First Ballot Candidates are posted - Post questions to candidates here!

Old 07-09-2018, 09:29 AM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcie View Post
I like how inter-organization communication depends on the other organizations getting with the program, rather than the SOA actually demonstrating that its mission is cooperation. There are some clear steps SOA could take to show that, but I don't see any of them mentioned by any of the candidates here.

None of them will get my vote.
And none would get your vote even if they did answer in your desired way, Ms. CAS.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 07-09-2018, 09:49 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
And none would get your vote even if they did answer in your desired way, Ms. CAS.
That could be 'Ms free-FSA' for all you know Ms Campbell.

But it is simultaneously true that they are all getting my vote.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:51 AM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

Quote:
That could be 'Ms free-FSA' for all you know Ms Campbell.

But it is simultaneously true that they are all getting my vote.
Ah, good point.

I do kind of wonder how many people took the "free" deal.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 07-10-2018, 07:11 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
I like how inter-organization communication depends on the other organizations getting with the program, rather than the SOA actually demonstrating that its mission is cooperation. There are some clear steps SOA could take to show that, but I don't see any of them mentioned by any of the candidates here....
Hi Marcie,

Thanks for weighing in. A couple of years ago I was talking to an FCAS colleague about CAS/SOA relations, and she said in total apparent seriousness, "The SOA is a terrorist organization."

While the SOA itself (and a few of its past leaders) definitely had the our-way-or-the-highway attitude you describe, most SOA members don’t feel that way. Most of us care more about the actuarial profession than any particular organization. If the SOA leadership gets on board with that way of looking at it, we have a basis for collaborating with other actuarial organizations; all actuarial organizations should agree that what really matters is the well being of the profession. So if the CAS, CCA, CIA, AAA, etc., can do something to support actuaries and promote the profession better than the SOA could do it, we should support them in those specializations, not compete with them.

If you have any specific ideas about the steps the SOA should take, I’m all ears.

Thanks,

Roger

Last edited by Roger Loomis; 07-10-2018 at 07:58 PM..
Old 07-10-2018, 11:22 PM
SOA CCA AAA

College: University of the West Indies
Default John on Organizational Relationships

The subject of organizational relationships is of great concern to this community, and rightly so.

All of us want co-operation, and many of us want NO competition.

The CAS has for decades specialized in P&C. The SOA recently introduced P&C to complete its globally-oriented curriculum. This has created competition where none existed. While it is true that this created some friction, there has also been the positive impact that one would expect from competition: the CAS has stepped up its game. This rivalry will continue, but it is no longer a source of friction. As an example, currently, the SOA, CAS and AAA are jointly engaged in a process to create a means by which the NAIC can objectively evaluate the respective P&C education programs. It took us a while to get to the point where this would be possible. So there is hope.

Similarly, on the global stage, we compete for students with the IFoA. At the same time, we partner with the IFoA on the new CAA designation, which was their creation.

So, relationships can and some do have elements of BOTH competition and co-operation.

This should not seem strange. Every Sunday in the pro football season, players "beat each others' brains out". But then they collaborate when it comes to the collective bargaining agreement. Same for the owners.

From time to time, there may be unexpected hiccups, such as when conflicting editorial policies became an issue for the Joint SOA/Academy Pension Committee. But we can work things out if we respect each other's principles and perspectives, as we did on that occasion.

Here's something you might ponder: what if the CAS decided to diversify and add a Health track?

Thank you.

John Robinson FSA, FCA, MAAA
Old 07-11-2018, 04:51 PM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

"Here's something you might ponder: what if the CAS decided to diversify and add a Health track?"
That might be a good idea. If only there were some way to jointly sponsor all the exams leading to this whatever-you-call-it designation.

ETA -ps - I am no longer an FSA, so I have no vote.

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

My latest favorite quotes, updated Apr 5, 2018.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
All purpose response for careers forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Depends upon the employer and the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.