Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Property - Casualty / General Insurance
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson
Actuarial Jobs

Visit our site for the most up to date jobs for actuaries.

Actuarial Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Health, Life, Pension and Non-Tradtional Jobs.

Actuarial Meeting Schedule
Browse this year's meetings and which recruiters will attend.

Contact DW Simpson
Have a question?
Let's talk.
You'll be glad you did.

Old 12-06-2017, 11:57 AM
SOA

The below is based on what happened when my girlfriend's car was totaled and the accident was the other drivers fault.

It was a clear total loss from the get go with no thoughts towards repair. My girlfriend worked directly with the at fault driver's insurance company on the claim due to it being an obvious total loss and the other driver at fault. She was instructed by her insurance company that if anything wasn't being handled to her satisfaction to bring them in for assistance in resolving the claim. The at fault insurance company quickly (about a week IIRC) had an offer for the car replacement and stated full coverage for medical bills. The offer was for about $1k over a retail price of the vehicle, so accepted the offer.

The payment for the car required transferring the titleover to the insurance company. She signed it over and was given the check.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:26 PM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Alpha King

ACV vs RCV
Old 12-08-2017, 01:27 AM
CAS

Late to the conversation but I work in Claims. OP feel free to IM me.

You have two options. 1) Handle the claim through the other driver's carrier as Property Damage or 2) if you don't like the liability decision, estimated ACV, etc. handle through your carrier as Collision (assuming you have the coverage). If you do the latter then you'll have to front the deductible but your carrier will subrogate the other driver's carrier for reimbursement of their payment xs the deductible plus your deductible. The risk here is that sometimes they're unsuccessful at getting your deductible back, in whole or in part.

Also, it's possible for the owner to retain a total loss but otherwise you are correct - the title is transferred to the carrier's name and then they salvage it (i.e. scrap the car if it can't be repaired or repair it then auction it used). In some states, even if you retain the vehicle, you are required to title it as salvaged.

OP, you can absolutely disagree with their ACV amount. They'll probably run it through an estimate based on make, model, year, etc. (kinda like KBB) then further decrease it for conditioning (e.g. prior dings and damages). Correct, when they determine total loss they are anticipating salvage recoveries.

Glad your son is okay.
Old 12-08-2017, 01:53 PM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Homebrew

one question, something that i've never seen, but can't you legally ask for the cost of taxes on the new car? It always seems funny to me that they are going to cut you a check for $10k because that's what your car is worth, but when you go and buy a new car for $10k, you are going to go to the DMV and have to dish out another $1500 for taxes that you wouldn't have had to do if you had your old car. So, why don't people ever ask for that?
Old Yesterday, 11:47 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tometom View Post
one question, something that i've never seen, but can't you legally ask for the cost of taxes on the new car?
https://www.insure.com/car-insurance...ttlements.html

Many states require car insurance companies to pay for the sales tax after you replace your crashed vehicle with a new or used one. However, that doesn't necessarily mean insurers in those states are going to offer to pay sales tax up front. Nor does it mean insurers in states that don't require those reimbursements will refuse to pay.
Old Yesterday, 12:36 PM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Civil Society Fresh IPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tometom View Post
one question, something that i've never seen, but can't you legally ask for the cost of taxes on the new car? It always seems funny to me that they are going to cut you a check for $10k because that's what your car is worth, but when you go and buy a new car for $10k, you are going to go to the DMV and have to dish out another $1500 for taxes that you wouldn't have had to do if you had your old car. So, why don't people ever ask for that?
You can legally ask for anything at all. Especially if you are not the at-fault party and the other driver's insurance is paying. When it's your own insurer paying for your total loss, you may have agreed to specific line items and limited recovery for this or that, but you have no such contractual restrictions with the other driver's carrier.

When I had a car totaled by someone rear-ending me I got book plus DMV fees and taxes plus retail replacement value for a complete roof rack system (including attachments that were not on the vehicle at the time) plus retail replacement value of the 6-ish year old CD changer. (This was a while ago, back when CD changers were still a thing.) It was an older car even at the time (12 years IIRC), and the Thule rack system cost significantly moved the needle on the settlement.
Old Yesterday, 03:40 PM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Homebrew

thanks. that's what i thought. maybe people just don't include that or mention that when they are talking about the settlement (sot it's really Veh Value + taxes/fees and they just call that all vehicle value).