Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 08-11-2017, 10:30 AM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by m95634 View Post
The question is about me self teaching, the family member part just meant that while I self teach (presumably way before I'm anywhere near a job), that there'll be support from people who know what they're doing,in the some way you could ask a tutor or lecturer if I did the uni subject...
Most life actuarial jobs don't involve much programming. Some need more than others, but most actuarial jobs don't do actual coding. Health and P&C may be different; I don't work in those fields, so I can't really say.

The level of coding I've seen needed in life actuarial jobs is easily self-taught. Most of the actuaries I've worked with have learned how to code on their own.

Learning how to code *well*--now that's a different matter. Most actuaries are really bad coders. But you didn't ask about whether you could self-teach how to code well, so YMMV.

"I guess I just have a lower prior-expectation of humanity than you folks. You win for optimism, but I win for accuracy."
--Pseudolus

"I wonder if there's a lower bound on how dumb the internet can get. We gotta be getting close, right?"
--Mother of DragQueens
Old 08-11-2017, 02:38 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Mozart & Beethoven
College: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by m95634 View Post
...I was wondering if the level of programming/computer skills needed for a job in the profession could be self taught?
Yes, but most actuaries program very poorly anyway. It's not hard to learn how to write atrocious spaghetti code littered with hard coded values. You'll pick it up in no time.
Old 08-11-2017, 05:15 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough Exams Already View Post
Most life actuarial jobs don't involve much programming. Some need more than others, but most actuarial jobs don't do actual coding. Health and P&C may be different; I don't work in those fields, so I can't really say.

The level of coding I've seen needed in life actuarial jobs is easily self-taught. Most of the actuaries I've worked with have learned how to code on their own.

Learning how to code *well*--now that's a different matter. Most actuaries are really bad coders. But you didn't ask about whether you could self-teach how to code well, so YMMV.

Most P&C actuarial jobs don't involve a lot of actual coding either.
Old 08-11-2017, 05:45 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba Actuary View Post
Yes, but most actuaries program very poorly anyway. It's not hard to learn how to write atrocious spaghetti code littered with hard coded values. You'll pick it up in no time.

At least have the decency to define the constants up top.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:12 PM
CAS SOA

Studying for S
College: UC Berkeley

If you can study you butt off and pass actuarial exams then teaching yourself to code will not be hard for you.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:17 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough Exams Already View Post

You are hired to be an Actuary not a programmer, coding is just a tool. You'll get by on your own.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:24 AM

Favorite beer: pilseners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba Actuary View Post
This. You can also teach yourself to program well, but that actually takes some time.
Sredni Vashtar the Beautiful.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:05 PM
CAS

Studying for 5

I took a c++ course in college, and then everything else was pretty much self-taught on the job. They give you a task, you think about how to get it done and then basically google each piece and put it together.

Old 08-14-2017, 03:15 PM
SOA

Studying for MLC

I can certainly vouch that actuaries are horrendous coders in general.

Even actuaries working for F100 companies can't code well. It gives me a headache debugging their code.
Old 08-14-2017, 03:26 PM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for ACAS
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Sam Adams Cherry Wheat

FWIW, I've only had one (formal) programming class in my life . . . a high school class covering BASIC.

Everything else is self-learned. Even to the point where I taught a university course on programming in PASCAL for math education majors.

Why should I worry about dying? Itís not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES