Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Long-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Long-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam MLC Forum

Old 03-09-2019, 08:06 PM
SOA Non-Actuary

Default The Infinite Actuary vs. Coaching Actuaries?

At the moment I'm taking a university class meant to prepare for LTAM, but it won't cover everything. I'll probably use the summer to independently study, and for the past three exams, I've used Coaching Actuaries. Most people I've talked to have said that for MLC/LTAM, The Infinite Actuary is superior. Does anyone have any reason as to why, or any other insight? I'm used to taking exams on Adapt over and over again until I've got the material mastered. I understand that's not quite possible when there's a written portion too. Thanks.
Old 03-09-2019, 09:38 PM
CAS SOA

College: Drake University

Note that there was a change in video instructor for this exam. Prior to 2017, our MLC video course was instructed by Dr. Weishaus. In 2017, we created our in-house online manual and video lessons, and Coach Dave Kester (who also instructs our P, FM, STAM, and SRM courses) became the video instructor for MLC/LTAM.

Feel free to check out some sample LTAM videos by Coach K here and see for yourself if the videos suit your learning style. If you have any questions, feel free to email me at tteh@coachingactuaries.com.

All the best!
Old 03-10-2019, 09:01 PM
SOA

Studying for Undecided
College: University of Phoenix

I used TIA, it was pretty good. Passed on the first try.

I've heard from coworkers that Adapt is a lot less useful for this exam compared to the other prelims.
Old 03-10-2019, 11:14 PM
Non-Actuary

I used Coaching Actuaries for MLC, and I thought it was excellent. I did find ADAPT useful. I first met a goal of earned level 7 for the multiple choice, and then I used the remainder of my preparation for written questions - which Coaching Actuaries has covered too. I ended up passing the first attempt.

I didn't used TIA for any of the prelims, but I hear good things about it. I am using their product for a fellowship exam and can say it is high quality and well maintained.
Old 05-03-2019, 06:50 PM
CAS SOA

I used both CA and TIA for MLC, I found the TIA online seminar is really good at teaching you the concepts and materials.

the reason why i used CA is mainly for MC, I used a 30 day CA subscription to practice the MC, i think some ppl might underestimate how important MC is, it is much much easier to get a 20/20 or 19/20 on MC comparing to getting 90% correct on written, and you probably don't even need a passing score on WA to pass the exam. so you need to put a lot of time into practicing MC.

It's hard to prepare WA, it really is, that's why you need a very sound understanding of the key concepts, and I can say that TIA does a pretty good job on that.
Old 05-03-2019, 11:39 PM
CAS SOA

College: Drake University

Thanks for sharing your experience.

For anyone who's interested in checking out our video lessons, you can view some sample videos here. We've been updating and tweaking our content based on our customer's feedback.

Also, note that our study bundle (a.k.a. Adapt + Learn) comes with a one-time grading service. Our coaches provide one-time grading feedback and suggestions for improvement for one of your written-answer practice exams.
Old 05-04-2019, 11:26 PM
SOA

Studying for PA

TIA was great to learn the material. I've heard great things about CA's seminar though I didn't use it myself. But I used ADAPT and thought it was very helpful. I just kept doing Level 5 Exams and breezed through the real exam MC in 1 hour. I don't think Level 6+ exams are in line with the real exam, but doesn't hurt for practice I guess? The ADAPT WA was very helpful and useful. Just my two cents for those curious. I feel confident I passed this sitting thanks to TIA and CA ADAPT, so thank you instructors!
Old 07-21-2019, 08:01 PM
SOA

College: Senior Year Univeristy of California in Santa Barbara

Interesting ... in my experience, the more problems I do (and the more advanced the problems) the more I start to see and understand why and how things work. Did that sort of insight help with the WA questions?