Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Long-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Long-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam MLC Forum

Old 05-05-2019, 03:32 PM
SOA

College: Bentley University (Class of 2019ish)
Default PA or FAP next

Hey everybody. So I’m almost done with my ASA all that’s left is PA and FAP. I understand FAP is changing next year. I don’t plan to take PA in December as I’ve been going through exams quickly with little break in between (I’ve gone through the VEEs and other 5 Prelim exams in less than 36 months). For my sake and my girlfriends sake (we’re planning to get a place together later this year) I wanna take things a little more laxed.

So my question would be, do y’all think it’s worth it/possible to get FAP done in the later months of this year (September-December) then study for PA in June, or should I wait for the FAP to be reworked, start that early next year, then take PA in December.

I know that logically, both of these are viable options, but I’d just like some opinions from those with FAP/PA experience on what’s feasible and how much time I should give myself so I’m not mentally drained. Thank you in advance!

Edit: I’m pretty confident I passed LTAM. I’m planning as if I did, but if I didn’t, I’ll retake it next sitting while it’s fresh in my mind.

Former Disney World Cast Member, currently no idea what I'm doing

"I think you should refrain from quoting yourself. It sounds pompous." - SweepingRocks
Old 05-05-2019, 04:59 PM
SOA

Studying for the hell of it...
College: AASU
Favorite beer: This one...

The FAP change page on the SOA site warns that if you are looking to start the FAP process in the later half of 2019, you should wait.

Reading through the deadlines, you would need to get through IA by mid summer and FA by September in order to have more than one chance of completing both. If you can pass everything on your first try then you should be good, but if you have any doubts about that it may be prudent to tackle PA first and FAP next year.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:45 PM
SOA

College: Bentley University (Class of 2019ish)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyalDragon View Post
The FAP change page on the SOA site warns that if you are looking to start the FAP process in the later half of 2019, you should wait.

Reading through the deadlines, you would need to get through IA by mid summer and FA by September in order to have more than one chance of completing both. If you can pass everything on your first try then you should be good, but if you have any doubts about that it may be prudent to tackle PA first and FAP next year.
Are FAP assignments hard? Is the pass rate known? Is it reasonable to believe someone can pass these on their first try? Thanks!

Former Disney World Cast Member, currently no idea what I'm doing

"I think you should refrain from quoting yourself. It sounds pompous." - SweepingRocks
Old 05-06-2019, 10:57 AM
SOA

College: Rochacha

I think we are just very unlucky to run into SOA's transition last year and this year. I think PA is quicker according to most people while FAP could take more than half a year to complete. Maybe you can even try to finish FAP before the deadline next year and even take PA in June. That would give you more sample projects to work on.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:17 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweepingRocks View Post
Are FAP assignments hard? Is the pass rate known? Is it reasonable to believe someone can pass these on their first try? Thanks!
Honestly I would say you'd be totally fine doing all FAP between now and December. I did the first 5 modules and IA in the 10 weeks between sitting for PA and getting PA results.

I also firmly believe doing FAP first would be a great preparation for PA, and I wish I had done that. Now I'm preparing for second sitting of PA, and during the wait time for those results I'll finish 6-8 and FA.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:27 PM
SOA

Studying for PA
College: University of Kentucky Alumni

I am sitting for PA in June and have completed all FAP. I heard the PA is like a mini module with a 5 hour timer. As I study this seems to be true. I would absolutely recommend doing FAP before PA as it gives you the writing style and answering mentality that is needed for a good PA grade. Biggest things to remember are to answer exactly what the question is asking, nothing more, nothing less, and to justify any statements that you make, regardless of if its actually correct or not. If you show proper justification of your opinion, they will pass you.