Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Financial Mathematics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Browse Open Actuarial Jobs

Life  Health  Casualty  Pension  Entry Level  All Jobs  Salaries

Financial Mathematics Old FM Forum

Old 09-23-2013, 09:48 PM
CAS

Default Should all formulas be memorized? How much time will this save?

I come from a mathematics background where it's generally unwise to rely on memorization of formulas. It's actually rather frowned upon in comparison to understanding how to derive the formulas as needed. So while studying for the FM exam, i spend most of my time learning the concepts thoroughly and doing practice problems, but I'm starting to think it's probably wise to memorize as many formulas as possible. Obviously it's better to both memorize and develop a thorough understanding than to simply memorize, but how much time do you think is actually saved by knowing all the formulas going into the exam? Could one still reasonably expect to ace this exam without memorizing any formulas?
Old 09-23-2013, 10:40 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: ESB

With FM, I would often derive many of the formulas while doing practice exams initially but over time I naturally just had them memorized.

I don't ever remember just sitting down and saying, 'Okay, it's time to memorize formulas.' I would suggest using derivation initially as well because many of the formulas a are very 'close' and going through the derivation a couple times will make sure you don't mess small similarities up.

Exams: P FM MFE C MLC?
Old 09-23-2013, 10:42 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: ESB

But sadly, the most important thing with FM is that BA II plus calculator. I haven't touched mine since the exam but that thing turned multiple problems into 30 seconds of just making a few keystrokes.

Learn how to use it!

Exams: P FM MFE C MLC?
Old 09-23-2013, 10:44 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.P.L. View Post
I come from a mathematics background where it's generally unwise to rely on memorization of formulas. It's actually rather frowned upon in comparison to understanding how to derive the formulas as needed. So while studying for the FM exam, i spend most of my time learning the concepts thoroughly and doing practice problems, but I'm starting to think it's probably wise to memorize as many formulas as possible. Obviously it's better to both memorize and develop a thorough understanding than to simply memorize, but how much time do you think is actually saved by knowing all the formulas going into the exam? Could one still reasonably expect to ace this exam without memorizing any formulas?
You can pass without memorizing formulas. However, memorizing formulas does save time and doing so is not particularly hard or time consuming. Better safe than sorry, and in this case the benefits outweigh the costs.

I would do lots of problems and make note of any formulas that you find are frequently used. Make sure you memorize these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:46 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

For me the bond formulas saved me the most time. Maybe up to 5 minutes per problem in this case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:27 AM
SOA

College: Reed College

You're not really learning anything if you don't memorize. You either have to memorize the "tricks" to derive a formula, or the formula, or preferably both; or you will forget. But in order for memorization to be effective, you need to do problems too. Using memories in different ways makes them stronger.

Right now, the software I use to schedule my memorization says I'm at 89% on facts older than one year old. That is to say, I remember 89% of the facts I haven't seen in over a year perfectly. I'm not showing off. I failed exam p the first time because I didn't remember my calculus, just a few years out of school. Now I know more calculus than I ever did, because I memorized about 1500 calculus formulas. And I know that in a year, I'll remember 89% of that and have my software reschedule the rest.

I passed exam p yesterday, and about a third of the problems amounted to me recognizing a distribution from its pdf/cdf/other properties and then remembering some formula about the distribution. That turned 4 minute problems into 1 minute problems. I ended up needing the time for the hard ones!
Old 10-04-2013, 12:26 AM
SOA

Studying for GI Intro to Ratemaking
Favorite beer: Game Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.P.L. View Post
It would be highly unlikely for someone to pass this exam without memorizing ANY formulas.

Yes, it's possible to rederive the formula for the expected value an increasing annuity on the fly. But why would you? It's much easier to just memorize, and know where it comes from.

Is put/call parity derivable?
Old 10-04-2013, 09:05 AM
Non-Actuary

Studying for Rcpp, Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statatak View Post
Is put/call parity derivable?
You could use the Law of One Price or Black-Scholes (from MFE) to derive it.

Why I hate Microsoft Access.

Studying/Reading: C
Old 10-04-2013, 09:14 AM
CAS

Studying for this space for rent

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2piix View Post
Now I know more calculus than I ever did, because I memorized about 1500 calculus formulas.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:54 AM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaymen View Post
I bet it's the derivative of x^n for 1500 values of n.