Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Financial Mathematics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Financial Mathematics Old FM Forum

Old 04-20-2019, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2piix View Post
You're not really learning anything if you don't memorize. You either have to memorize the "tricks" to derive a formula, or the formula, or preferably both; or you will forget. But in order for memorization to be effective, you need to do problems too. Using memories in different ways makes them stronger.

Right now, the software I use to schedule my memorization says I'm at 89% on facts older than one year old. That is to say, I remember 89% of the facts I haven't seen in over a year perfectly. I'm not showing off. I failed exam p the first time because I didn't remember my calculus, just a few years out of school. Now I know more calculus than I ever did, because I memorized about 1500 calculus formulas. And I know that in a year, I'll remember 89% of that and have my software reschedule the rest.

I passed exam p yesterday, and about a third of the problems amounted to me recognizing a distribution from its pdf/cdf/other properties and then remembering some formula about the distribution. That turned 4 minute problems into 1 minute problems. I ended up needing the time for the hard ones!
Where did you get the calculus formulas?