Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Probability
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Probability Old Exam P Forum

Old 04-06-2015, 06:29 PM
SOA

Studying for Exam 3F/MFE
Default Are all the exams just memorization-based?

I've heard that the actuarial exams are hard as hell, but it just seems to be testing memory instead of mathematical ability, at least for exam P.

I studied for exam P using Finan's free probability pdf. I haven't taken a probability course in college, but I breezed through Finan's pdf in 4 days.

I then slacked off until a day before the exam and did one practice test.

I passed with a 7 on the real test. I thought the test was pretty difficult, since all the questions I got were completely different to the questions on the 1 practice test I took. I said, "Gee, if I'm struggling now, I guess I might not make it to the end."

Then my friend, who also took exam P on January, told me how easy the exam was, which was surprising considering how I owned him in all the upper-level math classes we took together. I know he isn't as mathematically capable as I am, so I just assumed he overestimated how well he did.
But then he got his results. He got a 9. A freaking 9. I asked him how he did so well on the test, and he said he just solved a crapton of problems before the test and when the real test came, all the problems were the same.

He let me borrow a $200 manual that he bought and I took a look at the practice exams. I couldn't believe how similar they were to the questions on my real test. Aside from the wording and a few number changes, they were exactly the same.

I don't meant to sound like an arrogant know-it-all, but I think SOA and CAS should change their exams. They should be testing mathematical aptitude, not how well you can memorize and regurgitate the solutions to a specific type of problem.
Exam P should only have 10 problems with a 3-hour time limit. There should be no multiple choice and these 10 problems should be complex and completely different from any question on their practice tests and the previous tests. At the very least, they should make all actuarial practice books and manuals be illegal so people who are just memorizing and have no understanding of the concept don't pass. This test isn't a math test. It's a memorization test.

Last edited by GuyWithHighIQ; 04-06-2015 at 06:35 PM..
Old 04-07-2015, 07:54 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyWithHighIQ View Post
I've heard that the actuarial exams are hard as hell, but it just seems to be testing memory instead of mathematical ability, at least for exam P.

I studied for exam P using Finan's free probability pdf. I haven't taken a probability course in college, but I breezed through Finan's pdf in 4 days.

I then slacked off until a day before the exam and did one practice test.

I passed with a 7 on the real test. I thought the test was pretty difficult, since all the questions I got were completely different to the questions on the 1 practice test I took. I said, "Gee, if I'm struggling now, I guess I might not make it to the end."

Then my friend, who also took exam P on January, told me how easy the exam was, which was surprising considering how I owned him in all the upper-level math classes we took together. I know he isn't as mathematically capable as I am, so I just assumed he overestimated how well he did.
But then he got his results. He got a 9. A freaking 9. I asked him how he did so well on the test, and he said he just solved a crapton of problems before the test and when the real test came, all the problems were the same.

He let me borrow a $200 manual that he bought and I took a look at the practice exams. I couldn't believe how similar they were to the questions on my real test. Aside from the wording and a few number changes, they were exactly the same.

I don't meant to sound like an arrogant know-it-all, but I think SOA and CAS should change their exams. They should be testing mathematical aptitude, not how well you can memorize and regurgitate the solutions to a specific type of problem.
Exam P should only have 10 problems with a 3-hour time limit. There should be no multiple choice and these 10 problems should be complex and completely different from any question on their practice tests and the previous tests. At the very least, they should make all actuarial practice books and manuals be illegal so people who are just memorizing and have no understanding of the concept don't pass. This test isn't a math test. It's a memorization test.
You've failed horribly at the bolded.
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaz wit Attitude View Post
Force of habit, 2pac's been typing "88" a LOT since Trump got elected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
You ought to see the bush. It's impressive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikachu
10:53 pm: some ppl dont take advices well
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo fan
9:45 pm: ao fan would be hot covered in mayo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikelfritz
if you'd like I can come visit and dress up like a girl and get in some fights
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner3339 View Post
i think everyone needs to do this type of thing to get a dose of reality and straighten people up. it's kinda like going to the mountains and becoming a monk except it's with hundreds of potatoes and a lot of stoners with tattoos in a kitchen
Old 04-07-2015, 08:00 AM
Meme-ber                         Meme-ber
CAS

Favorite beer: Allagash Curieux

You've only taken P...
Old 04-07-2015, 08:03 AM
CAS AAA

Studying for the kids
Favorite beer: Whiskey, Irish

If you want to be a mathematician... go be a mathematician. This kid is destined for a life time sentence in the donkey pen with an attitude like that.
Disclaimer: This post is likely sarcastic in nature and in no way represents Sine Language's actual opinion and sentiment
Old 04-07-2015, 08:09 AM
CAS

We should add measure theory to P actually
Old 04-07-2015, 08:13 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyWithHighIQ View Post
They should be testing mathematical aptitude, not how well you can memorize and regurgitate the solutions to a specific type of problem.
Why should they be? This would be illogical and logistically burdensome. And I'm a guy who gets off to Putnam problems.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:22 AM
CAS

I think the CAS and SOA should change their rules. If you once scored higher in a math class than someone who passed an exam, you should automatically get credit for that exam by the transitive property.
Old 04-07-2015, 02:07 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for Rcpp, Git

:poopcorn:

Why I hate Microsoft Access.

Studying/Reading: C
Old 04-07-2015, 02:09 PM
SOA

College: MIT... T... Tech. I go to ITT Tech
Favorite beer: Free Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarinetist View Post
:poopcorn:
Yuck
Old 04-07-2015, 08:19 PM
SOA

Studying for Exam 3F/MFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sine Language View Post
If you want to be a mathematician... go be a mathematician. This kid is destined for a life time sentence in the donkey pen with an attitude like that.
I've tried. Got rejected to all grad programs because professor recommendations were poor. They probably wrote something along the lines of, "This kid is one lazy piece of shit... He never does his homework abd he rarely comes to class. He's capable, but he's an administrative nightmare. Avoid."