Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Probability
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Fill in a brief DW Simpson Registration Form
to be contacted when new jobs meet your criteria.

Probability Old Exam P Forum

Old 04-07-2015, 09:30 PM
SOA

Studying for LFV-C
Favorite beer: Blanche de Chambly

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyWithHighIQ View Post
I'm just guessing, since I don't know what else could have put my application on the rejection pile.
I wrote a senior thesis that got the highest honors in my class year and got the best math major prize at my uni for 3 consecutive years. I got straight As in my math classes and took multiple grad-level classes here. I got a perfect score on the quant part of the GRE and a 169 on verbal. Aced GRE Math subject test.

I don't have a good relationship with my professors, so I'm assuming what they wrote in my recommendation letters killed my application.

I'm hoping I do. I don't wanna sit around selling game-hacks for online games my entire life, though it is good money.
If I get fired as an actuary due to late paperwork or being late, I'm just gonna give up looking for work all together, since I know I'll never change.
Luckily, my trust fund is big enough for me to live the high life until I die.
Sorry to hear about you not being good enough for grad school.

There is no substitute for hard work in life.

Thankfully you have access to a trust fund, so you won't turn out to be a poor and frustrated murder-suicider.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:36 PM
SOA

Studying for Exam 3F/MFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens Fan View Post
Sorry to hear about you not being good enough for grad school.

There is no substitute for hard work in life.

Thankfully you have access to a trust fund, so you won't turn out to be a poor and frustrated murder-suicider.
Why would I be poor and frustrated even without a trustfund?
I made high six-digit salaries in my early teenage years when game hacking was at its infancy and started to take off. I struck gold with the rise of WarRock and Combat Arms, selling VIP hacks for $30/month.

It's not as lucrative anymore because the market is overly saturated right now, but I have over $9,000,000 to my name just from selling game hacks and still make $150,000+ a year working only 4 hours a week.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:40 PM
SOA

Quote:
I made high six-digit salaries in my early teenage years when game hacking was at its infancy and started to take off. I struck gold with the rise of WarRock and Combat Arms, selling VIP hacks for $30/month.

It's not as lucrative anymore because the market is overly saturated right now, but I have over $9,000,000 to my name just from selling game hacks and still make $150,000+ a year working only 4 hours a week.
So why would you ever want to be an actuary?

AO 2018 Political Bingo
Spoiler:
Old 04-07-2015, 09:41 PM

I heard they changed the prelim exams and made them way easier. Now they are all exactly the same as old ones, not just P. It's never been easier to be an ASA than now. By being one before now, we worked way too hard.

So become an actuary. Never been easier. Basically you can breeze through all the exams in 2 months and earn EXACTLY the same as ones who took years of devotion to passings. It's great for you guys with one exam passed. Maybe you can make what you made in game hacking

Last edited by UFActuary; 04-07-2015 at 09:52 PM..
Old 04-07-2015, 09:44 PM
SOA

Studying for LFV-C
Favorite beer: Blanche de Chambly

Quote:

You're supposed to have a WikiPedia page - do you?
Old 04-07-2015, 09:44 PM
SOA

If your story about making a significant living off helping people cheat at games is true (I don't believe you), you also don't appear to have the moral character to be part of this profession.

AO 2018 Political Bingo
Spoiler:
Old 04-07-2015, 09:59 PM
SOA

Studying for Exam 3F/MFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ito's Phlegm View Post
So why would you ever want to be an actuary?
It's the lies whenever people IRL ask me about what I do. The last time I was dating a girl, I told her I worked as an online tutor, which is why I'm on my computer several hours in the day. It was a convenient excuse for me to continue my work and for her not to get suspicious about how I'm making money.
She broke up with me once she found out what I was doing. I tried to tell her what I'm doing is legal, but she wouldn't listen.

Quote:
If your story about making a significant living off helping people cheat at games is true (I don't believe you), you also don't appear to have the moral character to be part of this profession.
Game hacking/cheating isn't illegal, as I'm only manipulating memory addresses that have been imprinted on my own computer's RAM. Game companies don't own the RAM of your PC.
And for goodness sake, even if it was illegal, it's just a game. I think the authorities have far better things to do than to go after someone who's aimbotting and chamming and ruining your fun in your little CS:GO scrim.

You are free to believe whatever you want. I don't have anything to prove, but I am the former moderator Hyperion of MPGH, the largest game-hacking website on the net. You can go check that forum and verify yourself. I'll even send you a PM.

I've been involved with the game hacking business for a very long time.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:00 PM
Meme-ber                         Meme-ber
CAS

Favorite beer: Allagash Curieux

Quote:
moral character to be part of this profession.
kek
Old 04-07-2015, 10:00 PM

Quote:
He wasn't game hacking though. He was applying experience of other games and then performed actuarial calculations to create manual versions of war games. Then he applied credibility analysis and got a credibility-weighted game, which he ran through an actuarial pricing model, and it came to $30 per VIP thingy.

Then he considered competitive pressures, distribution channels, existing products, external forces, changes in legislation, alternative considerations, communicated his hack game in accordance with ASOP #41, and then he earned $950,000/year after taxes.

Now he redefined the problem and designed a new solution of becoming an actuary, because after monitoring game hack results and external forces, he realized the game hack world got saturated with supply. In support of his decision not to continue game hacking

He took the PV of expected future cash flows in game hacking using market discount rate
And compared to PV of oppprtunity cost of time needed to game hack
Old 04-07-2015, 10:10 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for Rcpp, Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelian Grape View Post
kek
"Moral character."

Gosh, just look at the SOA/CAS war, great example.

Why I hate Microsoft Access.

Studying/Reading: C