Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Probability
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Probability Old Exam P Forum

Old 04-07-2015, 10:20 PM

When you manipulated addresses on RAM on PC, what did you create? Did you just sell the game versions for other people to play with?

Or did you redefine existing games into new and better ones than their originals?
Old 04-07-2015, 10:26 PM
SOA

Studying for Exam 3F/MFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFActuary View Post
When you manipulated addresses on RAM on PC, what did you create? Did you just sell the game versions for other people to play with?

Or did you redefine existing games into new and better ones than their originals?
Depends on what the developers keep server-sided and client-sided.

The first free2play FPS game, WarRock, had a TON of security holes and was configured to support only peer2peer connection between games, meaning almost everything was client-sided.

That means things like player-coordinates, fall damage, ammo, shooting speed could be manipulated.

These addresses are very easy to find. All you need is an undetected memory scanning software.
For infinite ammo:
1) Scan ammo value.
2) Shoot bullets.
3) Scan changed ammo value.
4) Repeat until you're down to 2-3 memory addresses.
5) Find their pointer addresses then freeze them.

Once finding the pointer addresses, we could make a trainer or a D3D hook onto the official client. Given that you programmed a working bypass for their anti-cheat system, your hack will work in-game and it'll give you an unfair advantage over the other players. I sell those programs (Trainers and D3D hook) privately for a big mark-up, since mine has the best undetected security in the market.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:28 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarinetist View Post
Gosh, just look at the SOA/CAS war, great example.
"An actuary shall act honestly, with integrity and competence..."

And we're lucky our profession is so obscure that nobody notices that our leadership acts like children.

AO 2018 Political Bingo
Spoiler:
Old 04-07-2015, 10:33 PM
SOA

Studying for Exam 3F/MFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ito's Phlegm View Post
"An actuary shall act honestly, with integrity and competence..."

And we're lucky our profession is so obscure that nobody notices that our leadership acts like children.
I'm an honest person.

I'm pretty blatant about my hacks and freely admit in-game that I'm cheating. I'm not like those closet-hacking tools who keep their aimbot sensitivity low and pretend they're skilled.

I act with integrity in important matters, not in trivial crap like a shitty free2play game.

I don't think you should be so quick to judge my morals. Hell, I turned down a $200,000/year business agreement to supply famous CS:GO players with hacks to use in their world tournaments. When it comes to serious crap, my integrity is intact.

Last edited by GuyWithHighIQ; 04-07-2015 at 10:37 PM..
Old 04-07-2015, 10:37 PM
Meme-ber                         Meme-ber
CAS

Favorite beer: Allagash Curieux

Old 04-07-2015, 10:38 PM
SOA

Quote:
One who is faithful in a very little is also faithful in much, and one who is dishonest in a very little is also dishonest in much.
But best of luck with exams.

AO 2018 Political Bingo
Spoiler:
Old 04-07-2015, 10:42 PM
SOA

Studying for Exam 3F/MFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelian Grape View Post
Game hacking isn't the same as real hacking, though I have experience with both and can prove it to you.

Shall I tell you about the war between MPGH and TGS and supply you with screenshots I took?

Quote:
But best of luck with exams.
Nah, I'm fairly certain I'm a very honest guy with high moral character.

Jesus, people, it's just a game. If you don't like it that a guy is flying around shooting 500 RPGs a second, then you can leave the game room and find another.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:47 PM
Meme-ber                         Meme-ber
CAS

Favorite beer: Allagash Curieux

tl;dr
Old 04-07-2015, 11:24 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyWithHighIQ View Post
I've heard that the actuarial exams are hard as hell, but it just seems to be testing memory instead of mathematical ability, at least for exam P.

I studied for exam P using Finan's free probability pdf. I haven't taken a probability course in college, but I breezed through Finan's pdf in 4 days.

I then slacked off until a day before the exam and did one practice test.

I passed with a 7 on the real test. I thought the test was pretty difficult, since all the questions I got were completely different to the questions on the 1 practice test I took. I said, "Gee, if I'm struggling now, I guess I might not make it to the end."

Then my friend, who also took exam P on January, told me how easy the exam was, which was surprising considering how I owned him in all the upper-level math classes we took together. I know he isn't as mathematically capable as I am, so I just assumed he overestimated how well he did.
But then he got his results. He got a 9. A freaking 9. I asked him how he did so well on the test, and he said he just solved a crapton of problems before the test and when the real test came, all the problems were the same.

He let me borrow a $200 manual that he bought and I took a look at the practice exams. I couldn't believe how similar they were to the questions on my real test. Aside from the wording and a few number changes, they were exactly the same.

I don't meant to sound like an arrogant know-it-all, but I think SOA and CAS should change their exams. They should be testing mathematical aptitude, not how well you can memorize and regurgitate the solutions to a specific type of problem.
Exam P should only have 10 problems with a 3-hour time limit. There should be no multiple choice and these 10 problems should be complex and completely different from any question on their practice tests and the previous tests. At the very least, they should make all actuarial practice books and manuals be illegal so people who are just memorizing and have no understanding of the concept don't pass. This test isn't a math test. It's a memorization test.
I didn't read your post but yes it is mostly a bunch of calculations that you have to do really quickly and the problem type is predictable. I mean, it's not exactly memorization but more like drilling problems until you're fast enough. Knowing the material really well (from a theoretical perspective) isn't all that helpful.
Old 04-07-2015, 11:29 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Is this magically going to change when you get a job?
euh yes it normally does. People tend to enjoy earning a living and not being homeless.