Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Probability
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Probability Old Exam P Forum

Old 04-07-2015, 11:30 PM
Non-Actuary

OK, I read your whole post. Yes, I agree 100%.
Old 04-08-2015, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyWithHighIQ View Post
I'm an honest person.

I'm pretty blatant about my hacks and freely admit in-game that I'm cheating. I'm not like those closet-hacking tools who keep their aimbot sensitivity low and pretend they're skilled.

I act with integrity in important matters, not in trivial crap like a shitty free2play game.

I don't think you should be so quick to judge my morals. Hell, I turned down a $200,000/year business agreement to supply famous CS:GO players with hacks to use in their world tournaments. When it comes to serious crap, my integrity is intact.
Yeah you made the right move if you were earning MORE than 200K, plus full autonomy, and put together they offered you what they did not to enrich you, but to pay you the minimum you would accept such that they make themselves richer.

Game hacking in the early 2000s was an individual sport. But I'm guessing in today's saturated market, it is going corporate. It is turning into more complex control systems that need to be bypasses and not the same fun of trade it once was. Also the games needing to be hacked are apps writen in javascript and apple's xcode.

However, for silly third party apps, there's still a market. Some games use the smart phone clock time to measure game stats and you have power to change the phone's clock to the wrong times.

Anyways, as a starting actuarial analyst, you will not earn what you obtained from game hacking for a good 20 years. However, you will have a decent life as a Fellow. If you like the profession, go for it.

Last edited by UFActuary; 04-08-2015 at 07:14 AM..
Old 04-08-2015, 08:15 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyWithHighIQ View Post
Why would I be poor and frustrated even without a trustfund?
I made high six-digit salaries in my early teenage years when game hacking was at its infancy and started to take off. I struck gold with the rise of WarRock and Combat Arms, selling VIP hacks for $30/month.

It's not as lucrative anymore because the market is overly saturated right now, but I have over $9,000,000 to my name just from selling game hacks and still make $150,000+ a year working only 4 hours a week.
I can see why you don't want to do that for the rest of your life.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:15 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFActuary View Post
I heard they changed the prelim exams and made them way easier. Now they are all exactly the same as old ones, not just P. It's never been easier to be an ASA than now. By being one before now, we worked way too hard.

So become an actuary. Never been easier. Basically you can breeze through all the exams in 2 months and earn EXACTLY the same as ones who took years of devotion to passings. It's great for you guys with one exam passed. Maybe you can make what you made in game hacking
Why would you want to do that? They, like, expect you to show up on time. And worst of all, you could end up sitting next to someone who got higher scores than you did even though they put in more study time!

Also, I love this thread.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:20 AM
CAS

This thread reminds me of the one where the trust fund kid was logging his journey for FM. That thread was gold. So sad he deleted it.
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaz wit Attitude View Post
Force of habit, 2pac's been typing "88" a LOT since Trump got elected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
You ought to see the bush. It's impressive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikachu
10:53 pm: some ppl dont take advices well
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo fan
9:45 pm: ao fan would be hot covered in mayo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikelfritz
if you'd like I can come visit and dress up like a girl and get in some fights
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner3339 View Post
i think everyone needs to do this type of thing to get a dose of reality and straighten people up. it's kinda like going to the mountains and becoming a monk except it's with hundreds of potatoes and a lot of stoners with tattoos in a kitchen
Old 04-08-2015, 10:01 AM

But I heard in the future they will make the exams voluntary. You pay $2 and can bypass an Exam, and get EXACTLY the same credential
Old 04-10-2015, 10:43 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuggleActuary View Post
I think the CAS and SOA should change their rules. If you once scored higher in a math class than someone who passed an exam, you should automatically get credit for that exam by the transitive property.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:52 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFActuary View Post
But I heard in the future they will make the exams voluntary. You pay $2 and can bypass an Exam, and get EXACTLY the same credential
Can't wait.

AO 2018 Political Bingo
Spoiler:
Old 04-14-2015, 02:28 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for my annual dental checkup

I can understand longing for the life of an actuary. The hour commute. The rate filings. The sitting. The family life.

Here's a question which I use to probe my deeper purpose. If you died today, would your life have mattered? What would you be doing to make it matter? If the answer is pass actuary exams, then by god you're in the right place!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDucky View Post
don't let good advice go to your head.
Old 04-16-2015, 10:07 AM
Non-Actuary

Studying for my annual dental checkup

At some point, your ability to memorize may only get you so far. It happened to me. I memorized my way through a math degree. Then I encountered an exam where there was too much to memorize. I had to change my approach. I aimed for the big idea and conceptual understanding which has more flexibility than memorized ideas.

Does anyone else think it's ridiculous to be giving advice to someone who is financially independent with three lifetimes worth of money? I think we should be asking for advice here if that's the case, like how do I quit my corporate donkey job?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDucky View Post
don't let good advice go to your head.