Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Long-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson
Actuarial Jobs

Visit our site for the most up to date jobs for actuaries.

Actuarial Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Health, Life, Pension and Non-Tradtional Jobs.

Actuarial Meeting Schedule
Browse this year's meetings and which recruiters will attend.

Contact DW Simpson
Have a question?
Let's talk.
You'll be glad you did.

Long-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam MLC Forum

Old 01-22-2019, 08:41 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSmart View Post
Excuse me?
Look at my SAT Math score. My SAT scores were so low I had to attend community college. I never even took calculus. My formal math education went up to Trigonometry.

And yet, look where I'm at. I never struggled with a single Actuarial Exam and passed all of them with scores of 8+.

I just disproved the myth that actuaries are good at math.
The bolded is at extreme odds against sitting for an Exam 3 times and getting 0's each time.

And until you get your letters, I would recommend holding off on global statements regarding the "needed math skills" to be successful in this profession. More should be learned from these math skills than a simple understanding of "functional notation" and "how to run through a formula". There is a required way of thinking for this profession (on either side of the fence) that is actually part of most college's mathematics curriculum.

I will say that based on your posting history, you will have a tough time going much further than Spreadsheet Monkey in this profession. NTTAWWT.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:38 AM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Reminder that "alt speculation" is not allowed in the professional areas of the AO no matter how well supported you think your claim might be.

Further violations could result in the issuance of infraction points and forced vacation from the AO for a time period.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Thanks for the info,
The quick site mods on here are very impressive
Old 01-22-2019, 09:54 AM
SOA

Studying for Exam PA
College: Capital Community College

Thank you, mod.

I'm getting real tired of these trolls attacking me and accusing me of lying when I'm just trying to give good advice.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:24 PM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSmart View Post
Thank you, mod.

I'm getting real tired of these trolls attacking me and accusing me of lying when I'm just trying to give good advice.
I would not call what you're posting "good advice".

I have yet to find a working actuary (on either side) that can do their job with only good "memorization skills". And in many cases, the work they do often relies on a solid understanding of the material found on the preliminary Exams, even if they don't perform the skills tested on a daily (or even weekly) basis.

Thanks for the info,
The quick site mods on here are very impressive
Old 01-22-2019, 01:29 PM
SOA

College: Monster University
Favorite beer: Root Beer Count?

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicjello View Post
I've seen that TIA has a flashcards app, has anyone used it or anything else like it? I think it sounds like it would be really helpful; however I am not using TIA this sitting.

Anyone at TIA reading this? Would you consider offering the flashcards app as a stand alone purchase?
For me personally, I wouldn't spend too much time just staring at flashcards and memorizing contents. I've been able to glue formulas into my brain by solving problems after "understanding" concepts.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:33 PM
CAS

"Memorization" is useless when you're asked to develop a rate for a new product.

Or to find a better rating plan.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:41 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA-Mod├●┤ View Post
I would not call what you're posting "good advice".

I have yet to find a working actuary (on either side) that can do their job with only good "memorization skills". And in many cases, the work they do often relies on a solid understanding of the material found on the preliminary Exams, even if they don't perform the skills tested on a daily (or even weekly) basis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShundayBloodyShunday View Post
"Memorization" is useless when you're asked to develop a rate for a new product.

Or to find a better rating plan.
Even if memorization is woefully inadequate for doing the job, it might be the most likely route to success on exams. I don't think so, especially not for LTAM. No one except trolls suggests it is.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:53 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
Even if memorization is woefully inadequate for doing the job, it might be the most likely route to success on exams. I don't think so, especially not for LTAM. No one except trolls suggests it is.
ITA that for some Exams, "pure memorization" can prove successful. I also know that in some situations, "pure memorization" is the needed "survival" skill to get past one Exam and get the understanding on another Exam (seeing the material in a different context; or a context that you relate to better).

However, I think all you've done with a "pure memorization" mindset to passing (all) Exams is simply trading off when you start doing "the hard work" to have the correct understanding (and skill set) for being a successful actuary.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:55 PM
CAS

And I like sukkev08's approach: muscle memory over a lot of problems can often lead to a good understanding (or the right kind of understanding) of the material. Certainly having the "practical wisdom" about the material that can often prove more useful than a solid "theoretical" knowledge.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:22 PM
SOA

In my experience, the TIA flashcards aren't necessarily just memorizing formulas to plug and chug into problems, they cover concepts as well as formulas. That said, by nature flash cards are heavy on the formulas and intended for memorization.

I understand what is being said and I agree that you need to understand concepts especially for the written answer portion of LTAM, however I'm going to need to memorize formulas/short cuts, etc in order to be able to get through the MC quickly and accurately with enough time to dedicate to the WA. That is a fact for me.

I'm interested in the app specifically, because I do not want to spend time making physical flashcards since, like has been mentioned, memorization is not the key to this particular prelim. Plus, being able to use an app would give me the ability to study in situations I otherwise couldn't (example: when I'm feeding the baby, or running on the treadmill).

So, anyways...I'm not considering flashcards instead of practice problems, I'm considering flashcards instead of mindlessly scrolling through nonsense on my phone. In this scenario, flashcards are better than nothing, no?

Of course, none of this matters if I can't buy the app independent of the seminar.