Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Short-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytics Recruitment
Download our Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!

Short-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam C Forum

Old 01-18-2019, 10:12 AM
SOA

College: Oklahoma State

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSmart View Post
Maybe, but how do you explain the 3 consecutive 0s?
If studying for the same exam multiple times should have helped me, then shouldn't my record be something like 0 --> 3 --> 5 --> 8 instead of 0 --> 0 --> 0 --> 8?
Or laziness, perhaps. People have different motives. For example some companies have a 3 strikes you're out policy. Someone failing multiple times may realize they need to get their act in gear in order to keep their job/remain in the study program.

You also need to reach a certain threshold on MC to get your WA graded. Someone spending too much time on WA and scoring a 90% on WA but only able to answer 9/20 MC, would score a 0 and not even have your WA graded.

Last edited by jts75; 01-18-2019 at 10:15 AM..
Old 01-18-2019, 06:02 PM
SOA

Joining the thread (and no, not too early to start this I think, I know STAM / C covers a lot of ground). My plan is to use TIA + book for learning, and then Adapt for questions. I feel like I needed to start last month with opinion season upon us....
Old 01-18-2019, 09:19 PM
SOA

Studying for Exam PA
College: Capital Community College

Quote:
Originally Posted by jts75 View Post
Or laziness, perhaps. People have different motives. For example some companies have a 3 strikes you're out policy. Someone failing multiple times may realize they need to get their act in gear in order to keep their job/remain in the study program.

You also need to reach a certain threshold on MC to get your WA graded. Someone spending too much time on WA and scoring a 90% on WA but only able to answer 9/20 MC, would score a 0 and not even have your WA graded.
I did horribly on the entire exam all 3 times.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:59 PM
SOA

College: Florida State University

Okay sooooo...when comparing CA to TIA what are your thoughts?
Old 01-21-2019, 08:26 PM
SOA

Studying for Exam PA
College: Capital Community College

Can't comment on TIA, but CA helped me get a 10 on C.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:58 PM
SOA

Studying for STAM
College: Bellarmine University Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActuaryInTheMaking View Post
Okay sooooo...when comparing CA to TIA what are your thoughts?
I find CA to be more professional and quicker to update material. Whereas TIA seems a bit behind and gets caught recycling A LOT of material from the exam's predecessor, sometimes very sloppily (Lesson titles are still labeled as MFE, even though you're studying for IFM, little things like that which add up).

My coworkers and I have all noticed this which has led the remaining subgroup using TIA to convert to CA and have all improved in their exam performance. CA seems more digestible for the average person. Whereas those who are analytically focused and have a strong desire to understand every detail may benefit more from the style of ASM or TIA. At this point, I trust CA more than TIA, in updates, reliability, and chance of passing.
Old 01-27-2019, 02:38 PM
CAS

Anybody who is using old ASM manual for Exam C who can double check with me which chapters to skip due to changes in syllabus of Exam C - now STAM?

Skipping Chapters: 21-31, 60-65

I am not sure if I can skip 36 or not. If anybody can verify that they are skipping the same chapters in old manual, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 01-28-2019, 05:19 PM
SOA

Studying for Global Conquest
College: Ball State University, Alumni, M.A.
Favorite beer: Coffee and more Coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinaO View Post
Anybody who is using old ASM manual for Exam C who can double check with me which chapters to skip due to changes in syllabus of Exam C - now STAM?

I am not sure if I can skip 36 or not. If anybody can verify that they are skipping the same chapters in old manual, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I am preparing for the February '19 sitting of STAM, and I used an older version (17th or 18th edition) of C. I skipped the parts on Simulation and Empirical Models. However, I did read the entire Ratemaking and Loss Reserving for Property and Casualty Insurance book. In addition to ASM and the text, I used Coaching Actuaries. Hope this helps!
Old 01-29-2019, 07:43 PM
CAS

Thank you, it does! It looks like most of the chapters you skipped are the ones I have marked to skip (not sure only about Chapters 30-31, 36 - Method of Moments, Percentile Matching, and Hypothesis Tests- skip or not to skip). I read the book and will start doing CA questions in March. Thank you for your help, hope you did well!
Old 01-31-2019, 11:04 AM
SOA

College: Eastern Michigan U

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinaO View Post

which edition are you using? I have 17th and skip 21-31 and 59-64. Which is 36? In my case it is 36 Hypothesis Tests: Graphic Comparison
I am not skipping it. SOA 176 and 241 have p-p plots

German