Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Probability
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Probability Old Exam P Forum

Old 02-12-2019, 09:08 PM
SOA

College: San Diego State University
Default My exam P experience

During the time I was studying for exam P, I tried to find as many threads as I could written by someone who had recently taken the exam. I'll give some brief details of my experience and study materials and what I thought of the exam in case someone out there finds it helpful.

My background is as an econ major so I wasn't as comfortable as most of you guys with the calculus topics. I had to do a lot of review problems and I even did about 8 to 10 hours with a paid tutor to brush up on this (it was well worth it).

I tracked my study time with an app called atimelogger, which was free. I tracked about 280 hours over the course of 8 months (I was working full time as well so it took me a while to log enough hours). I'm sure the true number is closer to 300 as I probably forgot to log some time.

I did maybe 4 of the practice exams in actex. I did some of the practice problems in asm, but I found that manual pretty inaccessible for someone with my background. I spent the vast majority of my study hours doing adapt quizzes and exams. Every weekend I would spend 3 hours each Saturday and Sunday doing exams under full exam conditions (no stopping the clock for restroom,etc.). The first few practice exams were very discouraging as I failed even some level 1 and 2 exams. I kept reviewing the ones I got wrong and after taking nearly 20 full length practice exams I got to an earned level of 7.3.

I also took the 4 Tia free exams and achieved scores of 16 16 20 and 19. In my opinion the Tia exams were harder than the real thing. When I sat on exam day in November, I was nervous and I really didn't know what to expect when I hit submit after taking nearly the full 3 hours to complete my exam. I ended up getting a pass Mark in the testing center and later found out my score was a 7(which is good enough for me).

I highly recommend doing a lot of adapt exams. I think the real test corresponds to an adapt test level of about 5, but I wouldn't recommend sitting for the test until you've attained at least a 7 on adapt. The Tia practice exams are important because they are very accurate in representing the cbt format which if you haven't seen it before can take getting used to. You don't want anything to slow you down on exam day so do yourself a favor and take the Tia exams beforehand.

Another piece of information that I think might be encouraging is that with only one exam passed I was able to land a job with an actuarial consulting firm. I had to be willing to move, but I thought this was important to mention because the prevailing wisdom on the boards is that you can't get hired without multiple exams and an internship. (I had an internship, but it was not actuarial). I'm sure it's much easier to get hired with those things on your resume, but don't let that stop you from applying.

Anyway, hope someone out there finds this encouraging. Don't give up. I can't tell you how many nights I laid awake thinking I'd never be able to pass. Just keep doing practice exams.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:55 PM
CAS SOA Non-Actuary

College: University of Rochester BS '05

Thanks!