Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Long-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Long-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam MLC Forum

Old 10-18-2019, 01:07 AM
SOA

Has anyone taken the fall 2018 exam as practice? Looking back at the discussion thread for that exam, people thought the pass mark was pretty low (like 55-60pts) and it was pretty difficult... I didn't think it was that bad. What do you guys think so far?
Old 10-18-2019, 12:47 PM
CAS SOA

Studying for MLC
College: Cal Poly San Luis Obispo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylartheactuary View Post
Has anyone taken the fall 2018 exam as practice? Looking back at the discussion thread for that exam, people thought the pass mark was pretty low (like 55-60pts) and it was pretty difficult... I didn't think it was that bad. What do you guys think so far?
I sat for the Fall 2018 and Spring 2019 exam.

For the Fall 2018 exam, I self-graded at a 38, and I got a 2.
Because a 2 is 60-70% of the pass mark, the pass mark (assuming the 38 is accurate) would mean the pass mark is between 54 and 63.

For the Spring exam, I self-graded at about a 70, and I got a 7.
Because a 7 is 110-120% of the pass mark, the pass mark (assuming the 70 is accurate) would mean the pass mark is between 58 and 64. This exam was IMO easier than the Fall 2018 exam.

Moral of the story: A 64 will give you a very good chance of passing, regardless of how difficult the exam is.
Old 10-18-2019, 03:24 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasplash View Post
I sat for the Fall 2018 and Spring 2019 exam.

For the Fall 2018 exam, I self-graded at a 38, and I got a 2.
Because a 2 is 60-70% of the pass mark, the pass mark (assuming the 38 is accurate) would mean the pass mark is between 54 and 63.

For the Spring exam, I self-graded at about a 70, and I got a 7.
Because a 7 is 110-120% of the pass mark, the pass mark (assuming the 70 is accurate) would mean the pass mark is between 58 and 64. This exam was IMO easier than the Fall 2018 exam.

Moral of the story: A 64 will give you a very good chance of passing, regardless of how difficult the exam is.
Thanks, this is very informative.
Old 10-18-2019, 03:44 PM
SOA

Studying for LTAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylartheactuary View Post
I was inspired by this post and took it today, got a 58

I'm so borderline, it makes me uncomfortable...
APC
Old 10-18-2019, 03:54 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by aactuary92 View Post
I was inspired by this post and took it today, got a 58

I'm so borderline, it makes me uncomfortable...
It's certainly a difficult exam, I just didn't think it was that much different than the prior five sittings of MLC. I'm curious as to what Spring 2019 is like, I haven't taken that one.
Old 10-19-2019, 08:10 PM
SOA

I've reached an earned level of 6 on Adapt, have gone through countless old written answer questions, as well as written several of the most recent exams. At this point I need to still master a few sections such as pensions, retiree health benefits, gain by source, and cubic splines.

Besides doing quizzes over these topics and refreshing on all material, does anyone have advice for what I could be doing this week to further prepare?
Old 10-20-2019, 12:07 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone unknown View Post
I've reached an earned level of 6 on Adapt, have gone through countless old written answer questions, as well as written several of the most recent exams. At this point I need to still master a few sections such as pensions, retiree health benefits, gain by source, and cubic splines.

Besides doing quizzes over these topics and refreshing on all material, does anyone have advice for what I could be doing this week to further prepare?
Me too. A bit worried over some lessons wherein I still derive some formulas and wherein I need to pause and rethink to remember the concepts. It's just that this exam does have a really big coverage and there's this anxiety that there's something that comes out in the actual exam which is something you less focused to prepare on.
Old 10-20-2019, 12:50 PM
SOA

College: Purdue University

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukkev08 View Post
Less than two weeks left, but SOA hasn't still updated the exam center yet. Should I expect the exact location sometime this week?
On the exam center page, there is an email. Reach out to the lady and she'll be able to confirm the building location, floor and supervisor for the exam like she did for me.
Old 10-21-2019, 06:03 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by surinpatel2 View Post
On the exam center page, there is an email. Reach out to the lady and she'll be able to confirm the building location, floor and supervisor for the exam like she did for me.
Tried this and she replied in less than a minute. I was so shocked.
Old 10-21-2019, 05:52 PM
SOA

Studying for Exam LTAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surinpatel2 View Post
Didnt work for me. Emailed her this morning and just got a response that it will be posted on the website today.

Tags
nimpo fsa no jutsu.