Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Corporate Finance and ERM (CFE) Track > ERM Exam
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

ERM Exam Old Advanced Finance and Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) Forum

Old 10-11-2019, 01:20 PM
SOA

College: Eastern Kentucky University Alumni

How's everyone's studying going? Has anyone started working past SOA exams yet?

I've done a couple past exams (not under exam conditions, typically just one or two questions at a time) and I've found some of the problems pretty difficult. Especially the qualitative type questions. Sometimes I can't figure out what source material to pull from to answer the question or it's not very clear to me how to apply something from the syllabus to answer a question. Anyone else struggling with this? I don't remember this being an issue for me with the 5 hour ILA exams I've already passed.
Old 10-15-2019, 04:22 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for ERM

I am struggling with that too. It seems like the grader/ the solution has more information than given in the question. Some of the answers need information that is not from the syllabus. It is very frustrating.
Old 10-20-2019, 10:55 PM
SOA

College: University of Manitoba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arms91 View Post
I've done a couple past exams (not under exam conditions, typically just one or two questions at a time) and I've found some of the problems pretty difficult. Especially the qualitative type questions. Sometimes I can't figure out what source material to pull from to answer the question or it's not very clear to me how to apply something from the syllabus to answer a question. Anyone else struggling with this? I don't remember this being an issue for me with the 5 hour ILA exams I've already passed.
It's actually good you are recognizing this now. You've got some time to figure this out. One thing I can recommend is invest a couple hours on the verbs section of the SOA guide to written answer exams - it's a valuable way to understand what is being looked for. And doing a bit of practice under a time limit and trying to be as objective as possible evaluating your answers.

I wish I could help more, but this is not my exam. In fact, my exam, SDM, is ALL qualitative questions and through experimentation and detailed review, not learning how to properly answer these qualitative questions is the #1 cause of people failing. Once we figured out a process (it involves a lot of feedback - which is expected as this is developing a skill rather than knowledge), we started getting pass rates in the 80's and 90's (versus 40's for everyone else).

Imagine - If you can score an extra 0.5 to 1 mark per question through better answers, that can be the difference between a 5 and a 7 on your overall grade.

The problem with written answer exams versus multiple choice, is you get exact feedback on m.c, where as for qualitative, the feedback is messy and inconsistent

So you need to create your own practice/feedback loop to resolve this. It will come with diligent practice under a time limit and it's very worth it to invest some time/effort on that. Unfortunately, from what I have heard from other students, the other exam companies do a VERY poor job when they attempt to provide feedback (although I have not heard of any comments one way or the other on TIA - so that may be a good option if they do feedback!)

Again, it's a good first sign that you are recognizing this and know it's a problem you need to solve.

Steve

XP premium package SDM pass rate in Spring 2019 was 91.7%!

Using anything less is clearly a very poor strategic decision

Last edited by XP-SteveScoles; 10-20-2019 at 11:25 PM..
Old 10-21-2019, 11:48 AM
Non-Actuary

College: Graduate

Guys

I need your help

Can someone explain to me strategic planning step 2 to 5

Thanks a lot
Old 10-22-2019, 09:55 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for ERM

I think I know which reading you are referring to.. but help us out here, which reading is this question stemming from?
Old 10-23-2019, 06:31 PM
CAS SOA

Just wanna remind everyone with the following from the syllabus:
"Beginning with this administration, questions in both the core and the extension may be based on the case study"

I think the questions in the core may be based on the only common sections of the case study (so section 0 and 1).
Old 10-29-2019, 04:48 PM
SOA

College: Eastern Kentucky University Alumni

Well I'm pretty sure I'll be taking this again in the Spring. I ran out of time and just left too many questions blank. I feel good about what I answered but I doubt it'll be enough.

What is a rough estimate of the points needed to pass? 50/80?
Old 10-29-2019, 08:26 PM
SOA

College: UVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arms91 View Post
Well I'm pretty sure I'll be taking this again in the Spring. I ran out of time and just left too many questions blank. I feel good about what I answered but I doubt it'll be enough.

What is a rough estimate of the points needed to pass? 50/80?
I'm with you my man. I simply did not prepare enough, although it seemed like this exam was relatively straight through. I took the GC extension, and had to leave an entire question on this exam blank related to that.
Old 10-30-2019, 07:48 AM
SOA

Interested to hear what everyone thought. It was my first FSA exam, and I thought it was tough to get through the whole thing. I didn't leave anything blank, but didn't feel like I hit it out of the park by any means. There were a few subparts I didn't know how to answer, but wrote something. One calculation question that went very, very wrong and I still don't know why. I feel very borderline about it, and also have no idea how these are graded since it's my first.
Old 10-30-2019, 10:07 AM

I felt it was a fair exam, but extremely wordy to fit it in 4 hours.
I left one subpart blank, and did suboptimal on 2-3 of them, which I might not have if I had half hour more.