Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson
Actuarial Jobs

Visit our site for the most up to date jobs for actuaries.

Actuarial Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Health, Life, Pension and Non-Tradtional Jobs.

Actuarial Meeting Schedule
Browse this year's meetings and which recruiters will attend.

Contact DW Simpson
Have a question?
Let's talk.
You'll be glad you did.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:29 AM
Non-Actuary

Congratulations, Gasparin! Perseverance and the willingness and ability to improve are keys to success.

Spoiler:

“Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.”

“Don't handicap your children by making their lives easy.”

“There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.”

“A desire not to butt into other people's business is at least eighty percent of all human 'wisdom'...and the other twenty percent isn't very important.”

“Belief gets in the way of learning.”

“The first principle of freedom is the right to go to hell in your own handbasket.”

“Does history record any case in which the majority was right?”

Old 07-22-2017, 01:08 PM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Marsh View Post
Come on JMO, not every corporate person is a heartless calculating opportunist.
I didn't say not to mention these things. Just not on the resume. Put it in the cover letter (like OP) or present your case in the interview if you think it is appropriate.

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

My latest favorite quotes, updated Nov. 20, 2018.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
All purpose response for careers forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Depends upon the employer and the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Actuario View Post
Therapists should ask the right questions, not give the right answers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.
Old 07-22-2017, 07:04 PM
SOA

Studying for Group Health Advanced
Favorite beer: Skinny Dipping Lager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Marsh View Post
Come on JMO, not every corporate person is a heartless calculating opportunist.
OP, congrats man! You're a strong, determined person. I wish you all the best!

Score one for the good guys!
Old 07-22-2017, 07:33 PM
SOA AAA

College: Western Washington, Colorado-Boulder

Congratulations!
The opinions of Doctor No do not necessarily represent the opinions of mathematicians or consulting actuaries. Facts cited by Doctor No are not necessarily facts. Find me on Twitter: @NorrisDoug. If you send me a LinkedIn invitation, please let me know who you are (unless it's obvious how I know you).
Old 07-22-2017, 10:41 PM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Civil Society Fresh IPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasparin View Post
Update:

A few months ago, I went through a battery of neuropsychological tests and was diagnosed with autism, along with major deficits in visual memory and in the ability to ignore irrelevant information. I then came across information about programs to help autistic adults find employment. I began sending cover letters to companies that really appealed to me, mentioning my struggles, my diagnosis, and my respect for their organizations.

After a few weeks, one of those companies responded. The head of HR had called the manager of their SF actuarial office telling her that he knew that she didn't have any open positions or internships, but that my cover letter was the best he had ever read and that he wanted to see if there was any arrangement that they could make to give me an opportunity. They ended up communicating with the company's main actuarial office and decided to create a shared pseudo-internship (only students can be interns there) for me, which would be based in the SF office for 12 weeks. The first 6 weeks would be dedicated to working on SF projects and the second 6 weeks to remotely working on projects for the main office.

Needless to say, I accepted. Today, I finished my first week! I'm working to take full advantage of this unbelievable opportunity.
Congratulations! That is awesome!
Old 07-22-2017, 11:22 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasparin View Post
Update:

A few months ago, I went through a battery of neuropsychological tests and was diagnosed with autism, along with major deficits in visual memory and in the ability to ignore irrelevant information. I then came across information about programs to help autistic adults find employment. I began sending cover letters to companies that really appealed to me, mentioning my struggles, my diagnosis, and my respect for their organizations.

After a few weeks, one of those companies responded. The head of HR had called the manager of their SF actuarial office telling her that he knew that she didn't have any open positions or internships, but that my cover letter was the best he had ever read and that he wanted to see if there was any arrangement that they could make to give me an opportunity. They ended up communicating with the company's main actuarial office and decided to create a shared pseudo-internship (only students can be interns there) for me, which would be based in the SF office for 12 weeks. The first 6 weeks would be dedicated to working on SF projects and the second 6 weeks to remotely working on projects for the main office.

Needless to say, I accepted. Today, I finished my first week! I'm working to take full advantage of this unbelievable opportunity.
Congratulations! Perseverance and hard work pays off!
Old 07-23-2017, 12:03 AM
CAS SOA

College: Alum, Saint Mary's College of California
Favorite beer: A&W Root...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double_Zero_Six View Post
Congrats! I'm also in the Bay Area, and I am unemployed at the moment for personal reasons as well (although I don't have autism) and trying to get back into the field after some time off. This gives me hope and lets me know that maybe I should be more brutally honest with my cover letters.
Thank you. I'm glad that you feel more hopeful. My "strategy" ended up paying off and bringing me closer to having a stable job and career. But my "strategy" was really just writing sincerely about what makes me a unique candidate and why I have a personal desire to work for their individual firm. Those specifics clicked for someone at one of those few firms where I really wanted to work. On the one hand, anyone can write honestly. On the other hand, it’s hard to give honest reasons for wanting to work at a large number of specific firms. I can’t vouch for what will be the best strategy for anyone else. I only know that my cover letter worked for me in this instance.

Good luck on your job search!
Old 07-23-2017, 12:09 AM
CAS SOA

College: Alum, Saint Mary's College of California
Favorite beer: A&W Root...

Thank you to everyone for your positive feedback. I've already made some really great connections and am learning more and more every day. I'm even going to get to go on a company actuarial conference and I may be able to visit the main office for a few days. For a three month contract, I'm getting some exceptional opportunities to develop and prove myself. I'm incredibly grateful and I hope every one of you who is looking for work finds an opportunity just like mine.
Old 07-23-2017, 04:03 AM
CAS

OP I had not been following this thread. I'm drunk and I read this and it makes me genuinely happy. Glad to know that someone made it through the employment process by being true to themself.

U R My hero.

Sincerely, semi sorta not really experienced semi sort of tipsy actuary person.

Last edited by Fracktuary; 07-23-2017 at 04:09 AM..
Old 07-23-2017, 04:54 AM
CAS

I love a happy ending

Tags
career changer, entry level advice, entry level resume, happy ending, no internships