Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 05-20-2019, 12:18 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoaminoneofyourbusiness View Post
I'd be more down with TBC or WotLK "classic" tbh. I just hate a lot of the dumbing down/titanforging that came after. After 3.3 with the dungeon finder I think things just got a bit too convenient
I would also like a TBC classic at some point, but without flying mounts. I think the meeting stone summoning function from 2.0 was nice and one of the few conveniences that I wouldn't mind coming back maybe. On one hand, it wasn't breaking the game since warlocks could do the same thing, but on the other hand it devalued warlocks.

I remember listening to a long rant from (I think) Kungen, explaining how flying mounts started the decent in WoW by getting rid of a big portion of the 'world' aspect I mentioned earlier. It really separates you from the rest of the server when you can just mount up and fly above / over people and mobs for everything you do. Watching these streamers on classic beta really brings back a lot of memories of the same things they're doing, with taking long treks to get to STV, running through ?? mobs and dying 3-4 times to get somewhere. Just the travel was an achievement by itself.
Old 05-20-2019, 12:35 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit

I agree there was a certain charm to hoofing it across the map, keeping a quest guide website on the other monitor, holding off on getting the mount because it was oh-my-god expensive (unless you're a warlock, then it was just difficult). Spamming trade chat to get a party going. A friend of mine gave me 1g to start off with and I thought I was rich.

With double the levels now, something had to give.

Some of the subtance has gone away in favor of avoiding really annoying grinds.
Old 05-23-2019, 12:10 PM
SOA

Got into the stress test yesterday.

2 hours of waiting in queues, disconnecting, waiting in queues, server full, waiting in queues, character time out.

Hopefully my contribution helps them to fix this before launch. Woo.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:09 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjPim View Post
I resubbed for a month using gold I had on one of my toons. Also downloading a client for 1.12 lights hope server, depending on a few things. Right now I found an old char I played back in tbc that was around 45, so I plan on getting them to 60 and freezing exp to play some 'project 60' content, though it will be very different.

I'm still debating between warrior/mage/warlock. On one hand, 2 of the 4 or 5 people I'll play classic with are going warrior and (probably) mage, so I don't want to ruin that experience, but on the other hand I don't want to base my whole experience on that, choose a class I won't enjoy as much, then find out we don't play together as often as we're anticipating.
Well, I got that char to 60 not long after this post, but literally nobody was doing any level 60 content. Kind of surprised me, I thought there would be a ton of people doing what I was doing.

Pretty decided on rolling orc warrior. I did some dabbling on private servers, but I decided not to play that much to savor the experience. Didn't end up getting blizz beta still, my gold-sponsored sub ran out, so I don't think I'll be able to join the stress test today.

If anyone is still playing on any private servers or wants to do anything, I could be convinced to join...
Old 07-29-2019, 12:25 PM
SOA

Less than 1 month left ~~~

Someone gifted me 30 day sub to retail so I'm doing some casual dungeon grinding leveling a new toon with them, if anyone's interested in joining occasionally.
Old 07-29-2019, 05:57 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit

I thought warriors in vanilla were terrible? Am I misremembering?
Old 07-29-2019, 06:38 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmajor View Post
Terrible in the fact that leveling is the hardest, it's the most common class so you have to fight for gear, and your performance is very heavily gear-dependent. They're the most common though because they're by far the best tanking class and in most cases the strongest dps class too, and quite fun in PvP. It's one of those high risk/cost, high reward classes.

I like the idea of tanking and being sought after for groups/raids and getting gear priority in exchange for higher repair costs and seeing smaller numbers floating up (as well as needing to be more aware and reactive to situations).
Old 07-29-2019, 07:04 PM
CAS

Not sure if I want to pop in for this. I put in my heavy hours during the wotlk era so I don't think I'll feel at all nostalgic for classic.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:41 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmajor View Post
You are not misremembering. In main'd a war in vanilla and it sucked. I got to MT/OT raids and that was enjoyable, but everything else about them suck.
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaz wit Attitude View Post
Force of habit, 2pac's been typing "88" a LOT since Trump got elected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
You ought to see the bush. It's impressive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikachu
10:53 pm: some ppl dont take advices well
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo fan
9:45 pm: ao fan would be hot covered in mayo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikelfritz
if you'd like I can come visit and dress up like a girl and get in some fights
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner3339 View Post
i think everyone needs to do this type of thing to get a dose of reality and straighten people up. it's kinda like going to the mountains and becoming a monk except it's with hundreds of potatoes and a lot of stoners with tattoos in a kitchen
Old 07-30-2019, 10:44 AM
SOA

For someone that has never played WoW, is playing classic worth it? I hear all this hype about classic and I just don't understand. Why the love for it vs. new versions?