Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register

Old 08-18-2019, 12:17 PM
CAS SOA AAA

Studying for Done, bois!
College: UConn
Favorite beer: Barq's or Mug, or any local Root Beer with caffeine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poley McPoleface View Post

This is where I should to reiterate that I'm least clear on what makes a good motherboard. It's seems to mostly be a hub everything plugs into and what I read online was primarily making sure you have adequate ports externally and internally.
It is a hub, but it also dictates the CPU you can use, as well as the RAM speed (and type, but anything you're looking at will likely take DDR4). So to me, the first thing that makes a good motherboard is that it accepts the CPU you want, and has a high enough limit on the RAM speed. Then the second thing is what you said about ports. One note on ports -- you want at least 3-4 USB ports, but also, you want as many of them as possible to be 3.x instead of 2.x

All opinions are either my own, or made up for dramatic and/or comedic effect.

Old 08-18-2019, 12:19 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
I'm leasing a condo at the moment and the bedroom does not have any reasonable access to a wired connection without running an ethernet cable through the entire hallway.
That's why I mentioned the other options of powerline and MoCA 2.0, which only require access to a power outlet or cable connection (not a cable subscription, just the physical connection). Powerline is much cheaper, but MoCA gives better performance.

Even if you're not going to do a ton of online gaming, your desktop PC is a fixed-position device that doesn't need the mobility that wifi provides. Whatever wifi bandwidth your router is capable of in your residence, all wifi devices will share that bandwidth. Taking your desktop off of wifi frees up the bandwidth for your other wifi devices.
"...there are two different types of Christianity. One is a movement of people who want to live and be like Jesus. The other (and far more common, far more powerful) is a civil and political religion that is simply named Christianity. The civil political religion named Christianity is addicted to both political power and violence, and thus finds the message of Jesus offensive." https://www.patheos.com/blogs/former...it-looks-like/

Last edited by Incredible Hulctuary; 08-18-2019 at 12:31 PM..
Old 08-18-2019, 04:01 PM
SOA

Quote:
  1. CPU - Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor
  2. GPU - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER
  3. Monitor - BenQ 31.5" 2560x1440, 144HZ
  4. RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4
  5. SSD - Samsung 970 EVO 1TB, M.2
  6. Motherboard - Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI
  7. CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
  8. Power Supply - Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Semi-modular
  9. Case - NZXT H500 ATX Mid Tower
  1. I have the 8700k. I love this line, 9700 should be great.
  2. Haven't done a ton of research on the super line, I saw some headlines but if they're reliable and are getting the performance as advertised, that should be a perfect fit
  3. What kind of games you plan on playing? 31.5" seems quite large to me. I use a 27" 1440p 144hz aand love that, but I play more esports style games, so YMMV
  4. Only thing to ask about the RAM is what's the clock speed on it? 32gb of 2400hz vs 32gb of 3200hz might be an important distinction.
  5. SSD's are getting cheaper and cheaper. Might be worth getting a secondary 1TB SATA depending on your usage. I have a single 1TB SSD and barely put anything on my PC except a few games and I'm about 75% full.
  6. Echo what others have said about wifi. Don't skimp on MB in terms of build quality, make sure reviews are solid
  7. I used the EVO 212 on my last build. I wasn't very impressed. I've heard better things about noctua if you want air cooled. I'm using an AIO water cooler now and love the aesthetic + super silent, as well as good temps.
  8. Seems perfect. Semi-modular are definitely fine. The only non-modular parts in mine were the 24 pin and 8 pin power for motherboard/CPU, so it seemed ridiculous to spend more to have those be modular.
  9. Also don't skimp on case. Airflow and build space are things you don't want to find out you don't have until it's too late. I haven't done the research on the difference between the "Compact mid-tower case" H500 vs "premium compact mid-tower case" H510 elite, or the non-compact H710, but I guess watch a few youtube videos comparing them if you haven't already. I have the S340 elite and love the aesthetics, but the space was just a tad bit too tight and the airflow isn't perfect. Do double check on the number of included fans, number of fans that might come with your CPU cooler, and fill out the rest of the fans in your case. Pay attention to having them oriented properly to direct air intake to outtake fans.

I love new builds! Make sure to take pics, and then play some games with me.
Old 08-18-2019, 08:12 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjPim View Post
  • What kind of games you plan on playing? 31.5" seems quite large to me. I use a 27" 1440p 144hz aand love that, but I play more esports style games, so YMMV
32" did seem a bit high at the onset, I also did more research the past couple days and there are reports of colors bleeding on the BenQ. I switched to the Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 27" display, but now I'm finding that has a lot of reports of returns due to dead pixels. Surprised to see such finicky computer monitors.
Quote:
  • Only thing to ask about the RAM is what's the clock speed on it? 32gb of 2400hz vs 32gb of 3200hz might be an important distinction.
Checked and 3200HZ though sounds like they may come out set to 2400 and now I'm confused about overclocking again. Are the specs listed on pcpartpicker the overclocked specs? Is overclocking just assumed at this level?
Quote:
  • SSD's are getting cheaper and cheaper. Might be worth getting a secondary 1TB SATA depending on your usage. I have a single 1TB SSD and barely put anything on my PC except a few games and I'm about 75% full.
Added the 1TB 860EVO, which has the SATA port.
Quote:
  • Echo what others have said about wifi. Don't skimp on MB in terms of build quality, make sure reviews are solid
GIGABYTE and ASUS are what I'm seeing as the big MB brands, and it does have solid reviews. Had a hard time figuring out just how good the wifi is on the MB though, and a USB adapter is not that expensive. I'm switching to the non-wifi version and buying a separate adapter so I know what I'm getting. As I'm tweaking parts I'll need to remember to look at this again.
Quote:
  • I used the EVO 212 on my last build. I wasn't very impressed. I've heard better things about noctua if you want air cooled. I'm using an AIO water cooler now and love the aesthetic + super silent, as well as good temps.
Will checkout the Noctua and look more at potentially water cooling because I'm also...
Quote:
  • Also don't skimp on case. Airflow and build space are things you don't want to find out you don't have until it's too late. I haven't done the research on the difference between the "Compact mid-tower case" H500 vs "premium compact mid-tower case" H510 elite, or the non-compact H710, but I guess watch a few youtube videos comparing them if you haven't already. I have the S340 elite and love the aesthetics, but the space was just a tad bit too tight and the airflow isn't perfect. Do double check on the number of included fans, number of fans that might come with your CPU cooler, and fill out the rest of the fans in your case. Pay attention to having them oriented properly to direct air intake to outtake fans.
Going to upgrade to the larger H700 case. Reviews indicate the H700 gets better airflow and with it being my first build I'd rather not be stressed out by the space.
Old 08-18-2019, 11:45 PM
SOA

Quote:
Checked and 3200HZ though sounds like they may come out set to 2400 and now I'm confused about overclocking again. Are the specs listed on pcpartpicker the overclocked specs? Is overclocking just assumed at this level?
From what I understand, out of the box the max speed is relatively low for pretty much all RAM, but you just open up options while booting and up the speed in the BIOS. I don't really think setting the speed to what it's manufactured / advertised for is 'overclocking' per se, just giving it the green light to go 'as clocked', if you will. And the rest of your notes sound good to me! I'm excited for you. I'm very happy with my investment. Also, make sure you test out a few keyboards / mice to get a combo that really feels good to you if you haven't already. Makes a huge difference.
Old 08-19-2019, 08:46 AM
CAS

Ah, that's good to know and relieves my RAM speed concern. Also this conversation made me notice the MB is listed at max DDR4 2400HZ, so it would choke my RAM. Will look at more MBs this evening, think I'm starting to get what I'm looking for there.

The "tweaks" are moving the price up $100 at a time, now we're more in the range I was anticipating.
Old 08-19-2019, 10:09 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for More Money
Favorite beer: Wurzel Bier

Quote:
I'm leasing a condo at the moment and the bedroom does not have any reasonable access to a wired connection without running an ethernet cable through the entire hallway.
Look into Powerline Ethernet Connectors. I'm not using one anymore, but I did for a little while and it worked great: https://www.digitaltrends.com/comput...ne-networking/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actuary321 View Post
I would really hate to bring Pokémon to a gun fight.
Old 08-19-2019, 10:21 AM
CAS SOA AAA

Studying for Done, bois!
College: UConn
Favorite beer: Barq's or Mug, or any local Root Beer with caffeine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruteForce View Post
Look into Powerline Ethernet Connectors. I'm not using one anymore, but I did for a little while and it worked great: https://www.digitaltrends.com/comput...ne-networking/
I second (or third) that. I don't think I currently have one going either, but I have before, and they work great.

All opinions are either my own, or made up for dramatic and/or comedic effect.

Old 08-19-2019, 10:30 AM

Quick question on the power line stuff... aren't they really unsecured in a shared building, like the OP has? I was in the same situation during my first PC build, and I landed on getting a mesh network, and wiring into one of the hubs (after a long struggle with WiFi built into the MB).
Old 08-19-2019, 10:37 AM
Non-Actuary

Modern powerline networking adapters have encryption, but the encryption might not be enabled by default, so try to read the specs and online manual before purchasing.
"...there are two different types of Christianity. One is a movement of people who want to live and be like Jesus. The other (and far more common, far more powerful) is a civil and political religion that is simply named Christianity. The civil political religion named Christianity is addicted to both political power and violence, and thus finds the message of Jesus offensive." https://www.patheos.com/blogs/former...it-looks-like/