Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 09-12-2019, 02:12 PM
SOA

Default Water Damage on Macbook?

So I got a fun text yesterday at work that my wife had spilled some milk on her macbook pro (2014 model A1502) keyboard. I told her to turn off the computer and unplug it and put it upside down until I got home, but I guess she ignored that advice and kept it on and tried to use it. When I got home, it was still on and some keys on the left side weren't working. I still forced the shut-down and turned it upside down and my plan is to leave it like this for a while in some miraculous hope that it will dry up in there.

I tried looking up videos / looking into ways to do a more detailed diagnosis or cleanup, but my hopes were pretty quickly shot down when I saw the super special screws that I'd have to take out to even access it from the bottom, let alone all the tiny parts I'd have to maneuver around and hope I could reassemble afterwards.

Have any of you experienced something similar? Am I silly in hoping it will kind of... magically work fine after 48 hours of powered off and upside down rest? I think taking it into a mac repair shop might be a bit excessive--labor and potentially parts would be hundreds of dollars, I'm sure. It was already getting up there in age and the thought of a new laptop wasn't out of the question before the incident.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:56 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for FSA

Assuming some milk made it into the crevices that you will not be able to clean (likely assumption since part of the keyboard isn't working), that laptop is going to start smelling real awful once the milk starts rotting. Much like car mechanics, unless you have a mac repair shop you trust/heard good testimony from other people you're at risk of getting swindled. IMHO not worth the risk for a laptop at the end of it's lifespan.

Sounds to me like you're crying over spilled milk. I'm only here for the puns.
Old 09-17-2019, 10:52 PM
Non-Actuary

Put it in a bag of raw rice and let it sit for at least 48 hours.
"...there are two different types of Christianity. One is a movement of people who want to live and be like Jesus. The other (and far more common, far more powerful) is a civil and political religion that is simply named Christianity. The civil political religion named Christianity is addicted to both political power and violence, and thus finds the message of Jesus offensive." https://www.patheos.com/blogs/former...it-looks-like/
Old 09-19-2019, 05:56 PM
CAS

Favorite beer: Stone 11th Anniversary Ale

Basically, once it has been well dried, it will either work or not. There are some techniques that involve cleaning circuit boards with high % rubbing alcohol, but they are not very reliable since something may have shorted out and blown out a chip or fuse.

Given it is a 2014 model, I'd recommend replacing it. As always, Swappa would be my go to place. Think of what budget you want and then find something in that range. The number one consideration is to make sure you ask what the charge cycle count is. Something >200 is good. Something >400 is bad. Something in between would probably be ok if you mostly have it plugged in or it is a really good deal.

Swappa allows negotiation in the comments. Once they change the price, buy it quickly because it is first come, first served.
Old 09-19-2019, 06:20 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahow View Post
Basically, once it has been well dried, it will either work or not.
I'm hoping this is the case and any corrosion / damage will not spread or continue to deteriorate any of the inner workings. We left it off and upside down for two full days to let things dry out. I had an extra cheap-o keyboard that we plugged into it and powered it on and even though some of the macbook keys still don't work, the external keyboard allow her to keep using the computer how she used to.

While it was drying out we stopped by Fry's electronics and I was surprised at the very small selection they had on the floor there. They didn't have any of the real macbook competition (MateBook, surface book, dell xps, anything), so my wife was not impressed by anything windows and was ready to get a macbook air. Luckily we didn't have to replace afterall (yet). Fingers crossed
Old 10-16-2019, 10:12 AM
SOA

Studying for FAP
Favorite beer: Bell's Two Hearted Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjPim View Post
So I got a fun text yesterday at work that my wife had spilled some milk on her macbook pro (2014 model A1502) keyboard. I told her to turn off the computer and unplug it and put it upside down until I got home, but I guess she ignored that advice and kept it on and tried to use it. When I got home, it was still on and some keys on the left side weren't working. I still forced the shut-down and turned it upside down and my plan is to leave it like this for a while in some miraculous hope that it will dry up in there.

I tried looking up videos / looking into ways to do a more detailed diagnosis or cleanup, but my hopes were pretty quickly shot down when I saw the super special screws that I'd have to take out to even access it from the bottom, let alone all the tiny parts I'd have to maneuver around and hope I could reassemble afterwards.

Have any of you experienced something similar? Am I silly in hoping it will kind of... magically work fine after 48 hours of powered off and upside down rest? I think taking it into a mac repair shop might be a bit excessive--labor and potentially parts would be hundreds of dollars, I'm sure. It was already getting up there in age and the thought of a new laptop wasn't out of the question before the incident.
And this is how you get Mac and cheese.

Old 10-16-2019, 12:17 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actuario View Post
And this is how you get Mac and cheese.