Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson
Actuarial Jobs

Visit our site for the most up to date jobs for actuaries.

Actuarial Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Health, Life, Pension and Non-Tradtional Jobs.

Actuarial Meeting Schedule
Browse this year's meetings and which recruiters will attend.

Contact DW Simpson
Have a question?
Let's talk.
You'll be glad you did.

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 05-07-2017, 12:51 PM

Small shop actuary with massive market presence unsurprisingly gets massive attention from skeptical competitors and even ABCD. Seems about the way it should be, especially since clients are governments. Weird that it took 30 years. Anyway, I doubt there was intended malice involved. Maybe overzealous policing. Wonder how common this kinda stuff is.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:28 AM
CAS SOA AAA

All quiet here ...
Old 05-19-2017, 11:34 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaft View Post
All quiet here ...
Yes, it's almost... too quiet.....
Old 05-25-2017, 09:46 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for High altitude hiking
College: Univ of Michigan - alum
Favorite beer: Liberty Ale (Anchor)

As dictated by court required timing, the Academy has today filed its reply to Sharpe's reply to the Academy's motion to dismiss Sharpe's lawsuit. Anyone can go to the PACER website and obtain the filing, like I did. Presumably the Academy will post its response on the AAA website very soon.

Absent a ruling in favor of the Academy at this stage, the case will move forward to discovery and trial, or settlement.

I did not see a great deal new here. Among the Academy's points (with my quick take on them in parentheses)

1. Sharpe claims that AAA or ABCD released news of the ABCD recommendation that Sharpe be expelled to Tia Goss Sawhney but he can't provide any evidence of this and can't say specifically who spilled the beans. Therefore he is not entitled to discovery. (This is strange. Someone spoke to Sawhney, and it would be easy to ask her in court and find out who. But the Academy position is that Sharpe can't do that.)

2. Our - i.e., the Academy - reading of our rules gives us the right to disclose this recommendation to Ms Sawhney. It is not relevant what the court (or most AAA members, I guess) think the rules "should" be. (Therefore, the not-mentioned-here prior offer by Sharpe to present evidence as to drafting intent should not be granted. The court is urged to take the Academy's lawyers' word for it - they know the original intent.)

There is no mention of any final finding by the Academy with respect to Sharpe and discipline, although I had expected that they might expel him coincident with a filing for this law suit. I wonder where that stands.
Old Yesterday, 06:16 AM
CAS SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by msydlaske View Post

1. Sharpe claims that AAA or ABCD released news of the ABCD recommendation that Sharpe be expelled to Tia Goss Sawhney but he can't provide any evidence of this and can't say specifically who spilled the beans. Therefore he is not entitled to discovery. (This is strange. Someone spoke to Sawhney, and it would be easy to ask her in court and find out who. But the Academy position is that Sharpe can't do that.)

2. Our - i.e., the Academy - reading of our rules gives us the right to disclose this recommendation to Ms Sawhney. It is not relevant what the court (or most AAA members, I guess) think the rules "should" be. (Therefore, the not-mentioned-here prior offer by Sharpe to present evidence as to drafting intent should not be granted. The court is urged to take the Academy's lawyers' word for it - they know the original intent.)
Agreed.
And jeez... somewhat ludicrous reasoning in 1 and 2. Absent seeing the latest filing I would proffer:

1st Q in 1st depo (Sawhney): "Precisely what did one or more individuals representing the ABCD or AAA share with you regarding the proceedings related to disciplinary investigation of Sharpe?" The rest of the defence in 1 falls away.
Old Yesterday, 09:37 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by msydlaske View Post
As dictated by court required timing, the Academy has today filed its reply to Sharpe's reply to the Academy's motion to dismiss Sharpe's lawsuit. Anyone can go to the PACER website and obtain the filing, like I did. Presumably the Academy will post its response on the AAA website very soon.

Absent a ruling in favor of the Academy at this stage, the case will move forward to discovery and trial, or settlement.

I did not see a great deal new here. Among the Academy's points (with my quick take on them in parentheses)

There is no mention of any final finding by the Academy with respect to Sharpe and discipline, although I had expected that they might expel him coincident with a filing for this law suit. I wonder where that stands.
The logic in 1 is so stupid as to defy description.

The logic in 2 is also pretty bad. It doesn't matter what the intent was in interpreting the word "outcome"? I hope the judge laughs out loud at both of these claims.
Old Yesterday, 09:45 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by twig93 View Post
The logic in 2 is also pretty bad. It doesn't matter what the intent was in interpreting the word "outcome"? I hope the judge laughs out loud at both of these claims.
"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less."

"The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
Old Yesterday, 12:51 PM
Past SOA President
SOA AAA

Studying for FSA '76
College: MIT '74

Again, our professional organizations embarrass our profession. Incredible!

Bruce

Tags
court of public opinion, discoverable evidence, oops too much information