Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 01-30-2018, 11:38 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Build that Wallaby View Post
That's cold, bro.
Hiyo.tiff
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaz wit Attitude View Post
Force of habit, 2pac's been typing "88" a LOT since Trump got elected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
You ought to see the bush. It's impressive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikachu
10:53 pm: some ppl dont take advices well
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo fan
9:45 pm: ao fan would be hot covered in mayo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikelfritz
if you'd like I can come visit and dress up like a girl and get in some fights
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner3339 View Post
i think everyone needs to do this type of thing to get a dose of reality and straighten people up. it's kinda like going to the mountains and becoming a monk except it's with hundreds of potatoes and a lot of stoners with tattoos in a kitchen
Old 01-30-2018, 11:57 AM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamTheEagle View Post
I haven't had that issue with the Washington Post, and I'm logged on through my home computer, my work computer, and the app on my phone.
On my phone, the Washington Post usually remembers me. From a desktop, it often forgets.

$10/month for Washington Post or NYT online seems fair given the cost of the paper versions. $20/month for The Globe and Mail and various Aussie papers seems excessive.
Old 01-30-2018, 11:59 AM
SOA AAA

Would be nice if the articles were free after a few days. I mean, it's old news. Who wants to read that?
(Well, I do. But that's neither here nor there.)
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:20 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Would be nice if the articles were free after a few days. I mean, it's old news. Who wants to read that?
(Well, I do. But that's neither here nor there.)
It’s old news, but I’ve noticed more than a few papers keep using older stories as click-bait.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:29 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Actuary View Post
$10/month for Washington Post or NYT online seems fair given the cost of the paper versions.
And $2000/month seems fair for staying at the Hilton....but most hotel guests can't or don't want to stay for a whole month.

The Hilton offers options in between camping out in the parking lot one night for free and paying for a room for a whole month; online newspapers will die if they don't come up with an in-between option for people who only want 3 to 5 articles per day per site.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:42 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incredible Hulctuary View Post
And $2000/month seems fair for staying at the Hilton....but most hotel guests can't or don't want to stay for a whole month.

The Hilton offers options in between camping out in the parking lot one night for free and paying for a room for a whole month; online newspapers will die if they don't come up with an in-between option for people who only want 3 to 5 articles per day per site.
You have a point. Nobody is saying that other pricing options don't make sense for the CONSUMER. We're just saying, they have to also worry about staying in business and that might not always be compatible with the pricing options some people might want. Not limited to newspapers obv.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:49 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inconceivable 2 View Post
You have a point. Nobody is saying that other pricing options don't make sense for the CONSUMER. We're just saying, they have to also worry about staying in business and that might not always be compatible with the pricing options some people might want. Not limited to newspapers obv.
If they want to stay in business, they have to provide options that make sense for the consumer.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:53 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Sam Smith Oatmeal

Quote:
If they want to stay in business, they have to provide options that make sense for the consumer.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:54 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamTheEagle View Post
I haven't had that issue with the Washington Post, and I'm logged on through my home computer, my work computer, and the app on my phone.
WaPo is the chief offender, although I also have trouble with the WSJ. Actually, I have trouble with all my paywall newspapers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Actuary View Post
On my phone, the Washington Post usually remembers me. From a desktop, it often forgets...
Opposite for me. Maybe it is a browser setting thing.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:54 PM
CAS

Quote:
And they did. For some subset of consumers like myself. It is very rare that any business has all the options every consumer wants. Sorry this is one of those times for you. Not facetious.