Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytcs Recruitment
Download our 2017 Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!

Old 05-29-2018, 12:59 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
I hear ya on the towel... I have two towels hanging from the bar on the oven door, one specifically for drying clean items and one for everything else (e.g. drying clean hands). It drives me crazy to see people (sometimes my spouse, whom I know I've mentioned this "rule" to) using the "clean items" towel to dry their hands.
See, I don't mind when they use this drying towel for drying clean hands. Clean hands and clean items are both ... clean. So I don't worry about the impact on the towel. But you do. Maybe there's something I'm not thinking about that I should be?
Old 05-29-2018, 01:01 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
Also: when guests put dirty dishes in my sink, bonus angry points if there is water in any of those dishes (e.g. dumping a bunch of silverware in a glass and then either filling it or letting running water accumulate in the glass). The dishwasher is right next to the sink, and the sink is always empty and clean, hint hint. It's more of a nasty mess to handle dishes/utensils placed in the sink that way than to just put them directly in the dishwasher. Ugh.
YES! I finally implemented a new rule: Don't clean up after yourself. It will take me less time if you just leave everything as is. They finally have consented. It drives them crazy.

So I finally showed them yesterday just how fast I go when they do leave things out. They were kind of blown away. I'm fast and efficient because my wife and I have figured out a system.

So now they believe me that I am not just being polite when I ask them not to clean up. I wouldn't have done that with anybody but family.
Old 05-29-2018, 01:06 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty View Post
Because kitchen towels are there to be used. Why would I use a paper towel when you have a nice kitchen towel handy-by?
If it were a kitchen "rag," then I'd get it. But this is a fluffy white, new-looking towel. It's so nice, it almost looks decorative (though it's plain white). I would never touch anything that could possibly be decorative.

Quote:
Have you mentioned that to your relatives? Because I'd be respectful of your towel if you asked me to, but if you didn't ask, it would NEVER occur to me that you'd care.
I felt awkward enough enforcing the "don't clean up after yourself" rule. I don't want to cement the image of me as a big jerk by just rattling off rules the whole time people are at my house.
Old 05-29-2018, 01:06 PM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: the one you're buying me

I wouldn't want people putting stuff in my dishwasher. I'd just have to rearrange it anyway.
Old 05-29-2018, 01:07 PM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: the one you're buying me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
If it were a kitchen "rag," then I'd get it. But this is a fluffy white, new-looking towel. It's so nice, it almost looks decorative (though it's plain white). I would never touch anything that could possibly be decorative.

I felt awkward enough enforcing the "don't clean up after yourself" rule. I don't want to cement the image of me as a big jerk by just rattling off rules the whole time people are at my house.
Just stop having company.
Old 05-29-2018, 01:08 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffany View Post
OH, and people that stop in entryways to have conversations and then don't move immediately when someone needs to get through.
YES!
Old 05-29-2018, 01:10 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG5150 View Post
Just stop having company.
A lot of folks in our family are low-income. So it's much cheaper for everybody else to bring a side dish than to go to a restaurant. And everybody else is getting too old to host, or they have downsized their home too much to fit everybody comfortably.
Old 05-29-2018, 01:12 PM
SOA

Quote:
A lot of folks in our family are low-income. So it's much cheaper for everybody else to bring a side dish than to go to a restaurant. And everybody else is getting too old to host, or they have downsized their home too much to fit everybody comfortably.
Sounds like it's time to start a big family feud.
Old 05-29-2018, 01:50 PM
CAS

Quote:
I'm pretty sure there is already an old thread on this topic, but I think it's been a while.

Here's my contribution:

I have a nice white towel in my kitchen, used specifically for drying. They don't make them anymore, and I haven't found one I like nearly as much. So I'm protective of it. And since I only use it for drying, that means I'm only using it on stuff I've already cleaned. So it's easy to launder, because it generally doesn't get stains in it.

However, I have to remember to hide the thing any time we have guests, because inevitably, some idiot will use it to clean up the worst, most staining spill possible. I never catch them at it, so I haven't figured out who it is.

I'd been doing a better job of hiding it, but forgot when we hosted a family party yesterday. Sure enough, it has black and red spots all over it. I'm trying to figure out how they managed to even find something black to clean.

I mean, we have paper towels VERY near the same place where I keep this towel. Why in the world wouldn't they use those for something sure to stain?
Mine are also kitchen related. People using the kitchen and not cleaning up after themselves (spouse and nanny). Letting stuff dry on the dishes instead of just rinsing them off immediately. I usually have hot, soapy water in one half of the sink for soaking and hand washing. And people will just put soiled items in there and ruin the water prematurely, like partially consumed cups of chocolate milk and plates that still have trace amounts of food on them. It drives me bonkers and they look at me like I'm nuts.
Old 05-29-2018, 01:51 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: New Albanian Anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG5150 View Post
I wouldn't want people putting stuff in my dishwasher. I'd just have to rearrange it anyway.
How people arrange things in my dishwasher is something that bothers me way too much

It's funny how much cleaning the kitchen is mentioned so far as a lot of the things that cause me irrational stress are kitchen cleaning related.

Last edited by dgtatum; 05-29-2018 at 01:56 PM..