Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 06-20-2018, 12:52 PM

Swedish can hurt too, but if it hurts you can tell them less pressure.

Definitely don't do deep tissue.
Spoiler:
Old 06-20-2018, 12:53 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
Also... make sure you drink plenty of water afterwards.
Yup, I forgot to mention that part. Here's the reason why (thank you Google!)
Quote:
If you’ve ever gotten a massage, whether at a spa, a sports medicine facility, or a kiosk at the airport, chances are that your masseuse instructed you to drink a lot of water when you got home (or wherever your travels may have taken you). The reasons for this are twofold.

First off, massages are dehydrating. Kneading and working muscle gets fluid pumping out of the soft tissue and into your circulatory system, where it heads toward your kidneys. That’s why many people have to pee right after a massage. (Naumann Carlstrom says some of her clients can’t get up from the table fast enough.) You have to replenish all that lost water – by drinking more.

Then there’s the issue of metabolic waste, which is produced by muscles in the course of everyday function. When your muscles are tight or you’ve got a major knot, it constricts circulation in those areas, inhibiting the body’s ability to flush out this waste. And, since tight muscles are probably what prompted you to make a massage appointment in the first place, chances are you’ve got some compromised circulation happening. Massage relaxes the tension, releasing the circulatory pathways and allowing nitrogenous metabolic waste to dump into the system. Drinking provides your kidneys with the water they need to effectively eliminate the newly liberated waste. So, once again, it comes back to pee.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:57 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feif View Post
Yup, I forgot to mention that part. Here's the reason why (thank you Google!)
I have always heard the 2nd paragraph as a reasoning, but the 1st one is a new revelation (and explains why I always have to use the restroom afterwards, even though I make sure to go right beforehand - I always thought it was just pressure on the bladder).
Old 06-20-2018, 01:04 PM
SOA

When I saw the title of this thread I imagined DjPim frantically typing a post up on his phone while a lady is laying face down in front of him because he lied and told her he was a professional masseuse and he had no idea what to do, like an episode of Seinfeld.

I don't have any advice, just wanted to say that.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:05 PM
SOA AAA

Locations: Just go east to Palm Springs. Lots of nice resorts there.
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:07 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
FWIW, I get Swedish but tell the therapist to feel free to work on anything she finds (I often have knots/tightness in my neck or back that I was unaware of). So that's kind of a middle ground between those two things.

They will probably (or at least should) ask you on the first visit about certain parts of the body and whether you are comfortable having those worked on (I had to check boxes for things like face, glutes, pecs, feet). So something to think about beforehand so you're not blindsided by that.

Also... make sure you drink plenty of water afterwards.
Keep in mind ticklish spots when saying whether you're comfortable with certain body parts being touched. My feet are crazy ticklish. I mean, it's ridiculous.

Forgot to tell a massage therapist once, and it completely blew the relaxation aspect when she got to my foot. Luckily, we had a few minutes left in the massage, so all was good, but it definitely would have been better if I'd warned her ahead of time.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:07 PM
SOA

Studying for CPD - and nuttin' else!
College: Swigmore U
Favorite beer: Guinness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Locations: Just go east to Palm Springs. Lots of nice resorts there.
Kinda light on beaches in Palm Springs.

How about Newport or Laguna? Coronado Island is nice too!
Old 06-20-2018, 01:24 PM
CAS

it moved
Old 06-20-2018, 01:31 PM

Locations from Dr T Non-Fan and Breadmaker all good. Depending on timing, the beaches could be cold and windy, even this time of year. Then again, Palm Springs is super hot!

As for massages, if you are at a nice spa, they may keep the men and women in separate areas except for maybe a pool area. You can often have the massage in the same room, so check on that if that is what you want. The working family stayed at a hotel & spa in Palm Desert area, and the spa pool was a way to keep away from the riffraff that comes for the day (and away from the working children!) - much more relaxing (but if you like ogling young hotties, go for the non-spa pool). Also, a consideration is how much clothing you want to take off for your massage. Usually you get them naked (under a towel or sheet) and they are very good about adjusting it so they aren't getting sneak peaks, but keeping your underpants on is an option too. Also, if your wife is not comfortable having a male therapist, that is good to know so she can have a female work on her. When booking, explain to the person that it's your first time and they will definitely have recommendations on what type to have and which therapists will do that for the times you are looking for. They will also tell you the policy of hanging out together or not. Some places have quiet rooms that frown upon talking. You can also tell the therapist if there are out-of-bounds areas like feet (ticklish) or butt or whatever. You usually have to fill out some health sheet and they ask specifically if there are areas you don't want worked on. Book early! They can easily fill up.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:32 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadmaker View Post
Kinda light on beaches in Palm Springs.

How about Newport or Laguna? Coronado Island is nice too!
The beaches idea was mostly because I was thinking we'd be in San Diego, so that's a thing to do there. We live so close to Newport beach that we won't feel bad if we don't go to one, so I'll look into Palm Springs and also Coronado Island, as per your suggestions. Thanks!