Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Fill in a brief DW Simpson Registration Form
to be contacted when new jobs meet your criteria.

Old 03-14-2019, 08:45 PM
CAS

Like people have said, it’s your interview skills.

P FM JOB IFM MAS1 MAS 2
ECON OC1
Old 03-14-2019, 08:49 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
Just based on what you've posted, I'm going to guess that your professional network is either very weak or nonexistent. ..
He got interviews. Based on what he said, I'm going to guess that he didn't do well in the interviews. I'm no expert in how to interview well, and the OP does't say much about how the interviews went, so there's nothing for us to say about them. But I recommend you look into what you can do to improve your interview skills.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:29 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty View Post
He got interviews. Based on what he said, I'm going to guess that he didn't do well in the interviews. I'm no expert in how to interview well, and the OP does't say much about how the interviews went, so there's nothing for us to say about them. But I recommend you look into what you can do to improve your interview skills.
I have been to one final round of interview with one of those companies and I got completely ghosted afterwards. For the majority of the other interviews, I felt confident coming out of the interview and others I knew I said something bad, probably a red flag for the company but I felt pretty determined going to each one of the interviews.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:17 PM
CAS AAA

Studying for years

It's not necessarily your interview skills: sometimes we have someone in for an interview and they're clearly behind the 8 ball based on their resume and the resumes of their competition. We're basically giving them a shot to wow us with something we don't see on the resume, and often they're a perfectly competent interview with nothing crazy unexpected and we pass on them.

With that said, numbers don't lie... make sure your interview skills are up to snuff.

How many exams?
Taylor originally called his product "Taylor's Prepared Ham", but was forced to change the name after it failed to meet the new legal definition of "ham" established by the Pure Food and Drug Act of 1906.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:50 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkovChains View Post
I have been to one final round of interview with one of those companies and I got completely ghosted afterwards. For the majority of the other interviews, I felt confident coming out of the interview and others I knew I said something bad, probably a red flag for the company but I felt pretty determined going to each one of the interviews.
You do realize there are other candidates vying for the same job?

And that, possibly, one or more of them was a better candidate than you?

It used to be in my sig line of career advice, but here:
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art
Old 03-15-2019, 03:40 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Nothing ever again!
Favorite beer: Whisky

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkovChains View Post
I just don't like asking for a reference. I am decent looking that is not the problem.
Sorry if this sounds rough, but that's dumb. Ask for a reference. Professional references are valuable.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:51 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Nothing ever again!
Favorite beer: Whisky

How tough is the competition for an entry or low level position these days? I know I interview fairly well, but I also suspect it's more competitive than when I was younger. I've had 4 jobs in 20 years. I never had that many interviews before landing a job I liked.

So... Maybe get a recruiter to help you make sure your resume is polished and paints you in a good light. Get some coaching on interview skills - especially on soft-skills and being personable. In many actuarial jobs, technical skill is only a part of what they're looking for, and is often table-stakes. You need to be adaptable, work well with other people and be a good fit for the team, and have the ability to explain your work in layman's terms effectively.

Above all... don't complain about your prior roles, don't bitch and moan about what you didn't like. Focus on what skills you're looking to augment with the job you're applying for, where you're looking to grow, and what you're wanting to accomplish as a part of their team. Be ready to convince them why you would be the best choice for the role, the company, and the team - what you bring to the table that is uniquely you.
Old 03-15-2019, 04:27 PM
SOA AAA

A lot of interviewing is about presentation, and how you react to certain questions (not necessarily the answers themselves).
Make an honest effort to put a "positive spin" (learning opportunities, for example) on all of your experiences.

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art
Old 03-15-2019, 07:55 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena Lake View Post
Above all... don't complain about your prior roles, don't bitch and moan about what you didn't like.
This is great advice.

They will ask about that year contract job. If you describe it to them like you described it to us, that will be the end of the interview. Talk about what you learned and liked (even if you have to lie), but now you want more of a challenge.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:06 PM
SOA

I have a hard time with actuarial roles I don't know why. Probably because they are more competitive. I try to be as likeable as possible. I'm definitely doing something wrong and can't figure it out properly.