Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Old 06-20-2019, 12:15 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit

Nobody appreciated my intelligence in consulting. It was just 'oh hey you've got letters, check this thing to make sure all the numbers match up'

Stifling.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:28 PM
SOA

Studying for a hobby.
Favorite beer: Guinness

I kinda thought my intelligence would be appreciated more in insurance, but not so far.

Consulting: Oh, you calculated some amounts? Not what the client wants to see. Let's revisit assumptions and see what we can tweak to make these numbers more reasonable.

Insurance: Oh, you calculated some amounts and built a model and improved the processes and insights into a new line of business? The business won't like it. Let's revisit assumptions and see what we can tweak to make these numbers more reasonable.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:33 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdAlert View Post
I kinda thought my intelligence would be appreciated more in insurance, but not so far.

Consulting: Oh, you calculated some amounts? Not what the client wants to see. Let's revisit assumptions and see what we can tweak to make these numbers more reasonable.

Insurance: Oh, you calculated some amounts and built a model and improved the processes and insights into a new line of business? The business won't like it. Let's revisit assumptions and see what we can tweak to make these numbers more reasonable.
a key factor is to develop enough cred that you're opinion is taken seriously, so seriously that the business might have to change based on what you have to say, and not what they do or do not like.

things may not move 100% to your position, but that's just how the real world works
Old 06-20-2019, 12:35 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
Four years if you're at a big 4.

That's why they call it big 4.
I'll take it if I can retire 4x earlier.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:42 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzo Von Matterhorn View Post
I'll take it if I can retire 4x earlier.
If only we could fund our 401k's with experience ...
Old 06-20-2019, 12:43 PM
CAS

Studying for Prostate exam
College: Hard Knocks

There are good and bad jobs at consulting shops. There are good and bad jobs at carriers.

The x years at a consultant is worth more years than at a carrier is silly. Depends on what you did at each place. It might be worth a lot more, might be worth a lot less.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:55 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit

My insight (yes I'm sounding super douchey) is much more valued at a carrier. My employer clients didn't want to do anything to actually save them money, nor could they handle reality in most cases (no, your wellness program only costs money).
Old 06-20-2019, 01:00 PM
SOA AAA

Seems more like you are observing a superiority complex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiki
A Superiority complex is a psychological defense mechanism that compensates for an inferiority complex.[1] The term was coined by Alfred Adler as part of his school of individual psychology. It was introduced in his series of books, including "Understanding Human Nature" and "Social Interest".
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiki
An inferiority complex consists of lack of self-esteem, a doubt and uncertainty about oneself, and feelings of not measuring up to standards. It is often subconscious, and is thought to drive afflicted individuals to overcompensate, resulting either in spectacular achievement or extremely asocial behavior. In modern literature, the preferred terminology is "lack of covert self-esteem".[1]

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art
Old 06-20-2019, 01:04 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmajor View Post
My insight (yes I'm sounding super douchey) is much more valued at a carrier. My employer clients didn't want to do anything to actually save them money, nor could they handle reality in most cases (no, your wellness program only costs money).
Let me guess: your employer clients wanted you to validate their beliefs (in their numbers, their ideas, their projects).

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art
Old 06-20-2019, 01:06 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
smart and talented people are in all these camps, and different people flourish in different environments. i enjoyed my time in consulting, was exposed to a wide variety of businesses, approaches, complexity levels, etc. i had a number of regular, recurring clients, but i get much greater satisfaction devoting my efforts to a single entity, so i went back to industry work. i found a great fit where i could settle in, understand the business very well, and directly influence strategy, tactics, operations.
I think I might start my own shop tbh. At least then I can drive my own work/clients. This has been on my mind for a few years.

Tags
data science, real analysis