Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Actuarial Science Universities Forum > University of Texas at Austin
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

University of Texas at Austin Jim Daniel - Director of Actuarial Studies
http://www.ma.utexas.edu/dev/actuarial

Old 07-27-2011, 04:47 AM

Default Career Fair

Have the career fairs at UT been productive for anybody?

There's a college of natural sciences career fair on September 19th, 2011, and I was wondering if these usually have any actuarial employers attend. I'm currently finishing an unrelated masters degree at a different university but am looking to transfer into the actuarial field ASAP. As a UT Alumni, I thought I might travel a few hours if it was worth it to come to this career fair.

Anyone have any luck at these things?
Old 10-19-2011, 08:58 AM
CAS

Studying for -ev-ar.
College: Hook 'em.
Favorite beer: www.GirlsPintOut.org

Gahhh, I wish I had seen this way earlier but for future reference for anyone else:

YES, so so so worthwhile. Fall Career Fair for the College of Natural Science is your one stop shoppe for actuarial job opportunities. When I attended a couple of years ago, the actuarial recruiters were segmented off onto our own wing so we didn't have to sift through all the other companies looking for physics/chem kids. There is normally a table for each of major consulting firms and large insurers. Most of the companies do on-campus recruiting so they will be back to give interviews to the kids they like, but some just collect the resumes and will fly you out to their home office if they see promise in you. For a list of who showed up see: UT Career Fair
(looks smaller than what I remember but then it was more promising times and pre-merger of the Watson/Towers)

The Spring Fair... is normally slim pickings. One or two firms show with last minute intern opportunities.

I think you have to be a current UT student to attend those things (they scan your UT ID at the door). Also, there are some companies that don't attend career fair but will come on campus just to recruit and do interviews independently. These companies/opportunities are listed on the Recruiting website accessible to again only those with current UT EIDs and passwords.
You can always email the person in charge of Actuarial Career opportunties used to be Laura M. (if she's still there) to see if they'll make an exception for alumni.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:19 PM
SOA

Studying for MLC
College: The University of Texas at Austin c/o 2010
Favorite beer: Shiner

current students AND UT alumni are allowed to attend the Natural Sciences career fairs. If you don't still have you're UT id, email Laura Mondino to find out what you need to bring to the door as proof that you're an alumnus. Ceej is right about companies that post jobs online (here's the link: https://www.myinterfase.com/utexas-cns/employer/ ; you will need to pay to use this as an alumnus, email Laura Mondino to set it up) that don't actually go to any of the career fairs. The spring career fair is smaller, but it's still a nice turnout. The Fall usually has about 15-20 companies coming to campus, and Spring has about 5-10. Good luck!

"Don't do what Donny Don't does!"
- Bart Simpson reading 'The 10 Do's and 500 Don'ts of Knife Safety'