Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 06-03-2015, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ito's Phlegm View Post
Aren't you just as privileged as any other person posting on an actuarial forum?
Yes, but I'm arguing the opposite side.
Old 06-03-2015, 04:49 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basso View Post
Note the strategic use of "individual." If the individual is not expected to experience the risk, they should not be charged for it. This is all I'm saying, and I'm saying either apply it all one way or apply it all the other.
So just curious, in your ideal scenario where men are not charged (in health insurance) for any costs associated with pregnancy and women bear the full brunt of this risk, so theoretically are paying significantly more for their health insurance, how does this play out? Women are like, "ok, no problem, we've got it covered, I guess it's going to cost me a bundle to have the 3 kids we wanted but hubby can afford new golf clubs"? and men can now breathe easy that they can create families but not personally have to subsidize any of the cost of that?

Should there be an appropriate discount for women who have been sterilized or are otherwise infertile?
Old 06-03-2015, 04:51 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
eh, I think it comes off more as sour grapes than misogynistic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ao fan View Post
yeah, probably.
I think you two have met him, and have more context for his posts. On-line, he sounds pretty misogynist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. John Zoidberg View Post
I'm saying that the man has pretty much zero input on the decision to have a child once the woman is pregnant.
And the woman has pretty much zero input once the fetus is viable. So what. They both generally have free choice about the decision to have sex. And when that's not the case, it's generally the woman who was forced.
Old 06-03-2015, 04:57 PM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Civil Society Fresh IPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying J View Post
Yes, but I'm arguing the opposite side.
How entitled of you to feel it is your place as a white male to speak for the unprivileged.
Old 06-03-2015, 05:05 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonlnear View Post
How entitled of you to feel it is your place as a white male to speak for the unprivileged.
Yah, the only things white males should do is whine incessantly that other people are talking about privilege.
Old 06-03-2015, 05:18 PM
Surprisingly Not a Troll, MD
Non-Actuary

Studying for fellating shellfish
College: Alma Madda, Alma Fadda
Favorite beer: Anything Tom tells me isn't total crap

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty View Post
I think you two have met him, and have more context for his posts. On-line, he sounds pretty misogynist.

And the woman has pretty much zero input once the fetus is viable. So what. They both generally have free choice about the decision to have sex. And when that's not the case, it's generally the woman who was forced.
You're the best.
Old 06-03-2015, 05:19 PM
Surprisingly Not a Troll, MD
Non-Actuary

Studying for fellating shellfish
College: Alma Madda, Alma Fadda
Favorite beer: Anything Tom tells me isn't total crap

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
Should there be an appropriate discount for women who have been sterilized or are otherwise infertile?
Absolutely.
Old 06-03-2015, 05:24 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Kwak

Quote:
How entitled of you to feel it is your place as a cisgender American to speak of white male privilege.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmajor View Post
you are a visionary
Old 06-03-2015, 05:39 PM
CAS AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
So just curious, in your ideal scenario where men are not charged (in health insurance) for any costs associated with pregnancy and women bear the full brunt of this risk, so theoretically are paying significantly more for their health insurance, how does this play out? Women are like, "ok, no problem, we've got it covered, I guess it's going to cost me a bundle to have the 3 kids we wanted but hubby can afford new golf clubs"? and men can now breathe easy that they can create families but not personally have to subsidize any of the cost of that?

This is a classification problem. To the extent carriers can show differences in prices based upon risk criteria, they can do so while still adhering to the Principals of Ratemaking and the Actuarial SOPs. Your example above is disingenuous. A husband/wife are likely to come out neutrally here since health coverage is required for both of them both now and after the classification change. The wife's proportion of that premium is simply higher than it is now. There is no controversy in making men pay more for life insurance since they die earlier. Should they be like "ok no problem it's going to cost me a bundle to make sure the family is protected if I die but wifey can get a new $1500 purse?
Old 06-03-2015, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Of course I advocate and argue for the under privileged. Because I'm a decent human being. A better question is why don't you?