Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Chat with the Candidates & Exam Committee
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Chat with the Candidates & Exam Committee First Ballot Candidates are posted - Post questions to candidates here!

Old 07-07-2017, 01:37 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Chess Tactics
College: Kentucky
Favorite beer: Prefer Scotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRobinson View Post
However, I have a duty to respect the NC process.
Why?

Also, it sounds like you're saying you basically support the status quo, even though they didn't endorse you.
Old 07-09-2017, 11:57 PM

Curious why you consider it inappropriate to share the feedback? Did they specify that it was confidential? Or you consider it confidential?
Old 07-10-2017, 04:29 PM
SOA CCA AAA

College: University of the West Indies
Default Response to Talmage and Westley

Thank you for the question.

I choose to treat the feedback as confidential, out of respect for the Nominating Committee.

The process is the process. It is always possible to propose different processes; but any process you choose will make someone unhappy. In the recent US elections, many felt (after losing) that the popular vote should be the determining factor; but it isn't.

My objective is to join and lead the Board. The president must champion the SOA's Strategic Plan. An intention to do otherwise would seriously hamper the working of the Board. We have had at least one president who pursued his/her own agenda, and, fortunately, we have largely recovered from the fallout. So, anyone who aspires to Board service should respect the Board that he/she wishes to join and should respect the process.

The ultimate question is not who was or was not endorsed by the NC; it is: who is the best available candidate.

I believe that my record, my views and my proven leadership qualities make me the best candidate. I also know for certain that at least a few current Board members are of the same opinion. One of them told me that he/she successfully persuaded a Glickman supporter to vote for me instead.

So, I invite you to look at my candidacy in its own right. You have the opportunity for a "Two-Fer": a petition candidate AND the best candidate, me.

Thank you.

John W. Robinson FSA, FCA, MAAA
Old 07-10-2017, 04:50 PM
SOA AAA

College: Graduated from Ohio State too many years ago to remember
Favorite beer: Newcastle

Quote:

I choose to treat the feedback as confidential, out of respect for the Nominating Committee.

The process is the process. It is always possible to propose different processes; but any process you choose will make someone unhappy. In the recent US elections, many felt (after losing) that the popular vote should be the determining factor; but it isn't.

My objective is to join and lead the Board. The president must champion the SOA's Strategic Plan. An intention to do otherwise would seriously hamper the working of the Board. We have had at least one president who pursued his/her own agenda, and, fortunately, we have largely recovered from the fallout. So, anyone who aspires to Board service should respect the Board that he/she wishes to join and should respect the process.

The ultimate question is not who was or was not endorsed by the NC; it is: who is the best available candidate.

I believe that my record, my views and my proven leadership qualities make me the best candidate. I also know for certain that at least a few current Board members are of the same opinion. One of them told me that he/she successfully persuaded a Glickman supporter to vote for me instead.

So, I invite you to look at my candidacy in its own right. You have the opportunity for a "Two-Fer": a petition candidate AND the best candidate, me.

Thank you.

Good answer, John.
Old 07-11-2017, 02:33 PM
Weremember
SOA AAA

Studying for the Battle of the Bands
Favorite beer: Presidente

As president, will you work to end the nominating committee, perhaps returning to the two-ballot system?

Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydraskull
Turns out, annuitize IS DB. Directed by M Night Shyamalan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by limabeanactuary
I realized WIS was his dump stat a while back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShebaPoe
Ideologues should be kept far away from power. Starbucks is a good place for them to work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonlnear View Post
There's no such thing as an overqualified barista. You need somebody who can not only make drinks and run a register, but also engage customers who might have questions about the genderqueer or Hegelian subtext of the latest pretending-to-not-be-from-a-big-label album being hawked on their counter.
Old 07-12-2017, 02:26 AM
SOA CCA AAA

College: University of the West Indies
Default Response to Werewolf

Actually, I donít know how the two-ballot system worked. I would welcome an explanation; but I caution you, I would need to examine both pros and cons.

The current system makes it possible for any Fellow, with member support, to run for the Board. It is not necessary to have the NCís endorsement. If one canít get member support, why would one run in an election?

Similarly, any Fellow with Board experience can run for president-elect. Again, if one canít get member support, why would one run in an election?

The NC does not determine whether a candidate can get member support. As far as I know, that is not one of their criteria. But it is member support that will determine who gets the privilege to serve.

So, I invite you to consider the ďdemocraticĒ possibilities in the current system. By contrast, the Academyís NC names the candidate for each psition, and then members vote. SOA members, however, have a big say, if they wish to exercise it. (By the way, the Academyís process suits their purpose, so donít take this as a criticism Ė just a contrast.)

When life serves up lemons, make lemonade😊

PS: I like my lemonade with Jamaican brown sugar!!
Old 07-13-2017, 02:18 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Chess Tactics
College: Kentucky
Favorite beer: Prefer Scotch

Quote:
The current system makes it possible for any Fellow, with member support, to run for the Board. It is not necessary to have the NC’s endorsement. If one can’t get member support, why would one run in an election?

Similarly, any Fellow with Board experience can run for president-elect. Again, if one can’t get member support, why would one run in an election?
I think the concern is that two people are handpicked and labeled as "endorsed", while the petition candidates have the stigma of appearing on the ballot as "by petition".

Although I might view "by petition" favorably, others may make assumptions about fitness to serve based on the NC vetting.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:40 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talmage View Post
I think the concern is that two people are handpicked and labeled as "endorsed", while the petition candidates have the stigma of appearing on the ballot as "by petition".

Although I might view "by petition" favorably, others may make assumptions about fitness to serve based on the NC vetting.
I don't see it as a stigma that candidates appear on the ballot "by petition". Maybe "stigma" is not the appropriate word to use in this case, since it means "a mark of disgrace". I really don't see how a voting member could see an FSA getting 661 votes of support as a mark of disgrace. Like I said, perhaps you didn't mean it that way.

What I do wish for is that we could vote for more than one petition candidate. I mentioned this to the Election Committee a few years back. The response I received was that the Board considered allowing more than 1 vote for a president-elect petition candidate, but decided against it. I don't remember the reasoning behind their decision.

I believe that if a petition candidate gets even something like 300 votes, that is enough support to put them on the ballot. But that's just my opinion, and it's not the system we have now.
Old 07-13-2017, 04:40 PM
CAS SOA

Non-endorsed candidates get put at the bottom of the ballot, don't they? And it's well known that there is a real advantage to having your name up at the top. I think stigma is the appropriate word, as the SOA is stating in a very real and deliberate manner that they don't believe that the petition candidate should be elected to the position.

If they are going to be on the ballot, they should be on equal footing.
Old 07-13-2017, 05:05 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousGeorge View Post
Non-endorsed candidates get put at the bottom of the ballot, don't they? And it's well known that there is a real advantage to having your name up at the top. I think stigma is the appropriate word, as the SOA is stating in a very real and deliberate manner that they don't believe that the petition candidate should be elected to the position.

If they are going to be on the ballot, they should be on equal footing.
Well, no process is perfect, but at least there is a process. For example, I disagree with the rule that voting members are only allowed to vote for one petition candidate; but, in my opinion, that does not invalidate the petition process.

And I don't understand your statement that "the SOA is stating in a very real and deliberate manner that they don't believe that the petition candidate should be elected to the position." Where and how is the SOA stating that? The fact that there is indeed a petition process set up by the SOA seems to indicate just the opposite.

Regarding the position on the ballot, what do you think is fair? Alphabetical order? Then you might complain that the process discriminates against those whose names begin with letters in the second half of the alphabet. Someone has to be the first name on the ballot, and someone has to be the last.