Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Chat with the Candidates & Exam Committee
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Actuarial Jobs by State

New York  New Jersey  Connecticut  Massachusetts 
California  Florida  Texas  Illinois  Colorado

Chat with the Candidates & Exam Committee First Ballot Candidates are posted - Post questions to candidates here!

Old 07-13-2017, 05:19 PM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird View Post
Well, no process is perfect, but at least there is a process. For example, I disagree with the rule that voting members are only allowed to vote for one petition candidate; but, in my opinion, that does not invalidate the petition process.

And I don't understand your statement that "the SOA is stating in a very real and deliberate manner that they don't believe that the petition candidate should be elected to the position." Where and how is the SOA stating that? The fact that there is indeed a petition process set up by the SOA seems to indicate just the opposite.

Regarding the position on the ballot, what do you think is fair? Alphabetical order? Then you might complain that the process discriminates against those whose names begin with letters in the second half of the alphabet. Someone has to be the first name on the ballot, and someone has to be the last.
For their ballots the SOA uses alphabetic order with the first name selected at random. Except for president-elect, where they always put the petition candidate last. When the nominating committee approach was introduced, there was no petition option. Under pressure from them membership, they added such a process. With a ridiculously high threshold for being nominated that way.

You apparently think everything is hunky dory, because you don't know the history. And you know what they say about people who don't learn from history.

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

My latest favorite quotes, updated Nov. 20, 2018.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
All purpose response for careers forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Depends upon the employer and the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Actuario View Post
Therapists should ask the right questions, not give the right answers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.
Old 07-14-2017, 12:05 AM
SOA

Quote:
Well, no process is perfect, but at least there is a process. For example, I disagree with the rule that voting members are only allowed to vote for one petition candidate; but, in my opinion, that does not invalidate the petition process.

And I don't understand your statement that "the SOA is stating in a very real and deliberate manner that they don't believe that the petition candidate should be elected to the position." Where and how is the SOA stating that? The fact that there is indeed a petition process set up by the SOA seems to indicate just the opposite.

Regarding the position on the ballot, what do you think is fair? Alphabetical order? Then you might complain that the process discriminates against those whose names begin with letters in the second half of the alphabet. Someone has to be the first name on the ballot, and someone has to be the last.
We vote online. I can't imagine it would be all that difficult to set up a system where name order is randomized for every person's ballot, giving no candidate a name order advantage.
Old 07-14-2017, 11:37 AM
CAS

Mr. Robinson,
I have several questions, if I may:
  1. How long have you been a Fellow?
  2. When did you first start voting in SOA elections?
  3. How and when do you think changes to the SOA Strategic Plan should happen? (If you think it should ever change.)
  4. Are you satisfied with the current process for getting on the ballot for SOA elections?
  5. Will your answer to the previous question remain the same if/when you do not receive the necessary petition votes?
  6. The current direction of the SOA is largely driven by the changes effected, reportedly unilaterally, by former SOA President Brad Smith. Presumably there was a strategic plan before Mr. Smith from which his presidency radically departed. Can you evaluate this in light of your statement that "the role of the president is not to present an alternative to the Strategic Plan"?

I may have more follow-up questions.

Thank you,
Marcie
Old 07-14-2017, 12:04 PM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

I would like to add one more question.

C1. If elected, will you continue to exclude FSAs from attending regular board meetings?
Currently they are apparently unable to attend unless they are actually a board member or an officer, or appointed by the board to present something.

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

Spoiler:
Quote:
JMO is right
Quote:
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Quote:
MORE:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.
Old 07-14-2017, 03:21 PM
SOA AAA

College: Graduated from Ohio State too many years ago to remember
Favorite beer: Newcastle

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
For their ballots the SOA uses alphabetic order with the first name selected at random. Except for president-elect, where they always put the petition candidate last. When the nominating committee approach was introduced, there was no petition option. Under pressure from them membership, they added such a process. With a ridiculously high threshold for being nominated that way.

You apparently think everything is hunky dory, because you don't know the history. And you know what they say about people who don't learn from history.
Thank you for the history, Carol. Very helpful.

Yes, I agree that we should learn from history. But knowing what you just told us does not change my opinion. The fact is that we have a process for electing our leaders: nominating committee and an alternate petition process. I do disagree with parts of the process, such as only being allowed to vote for one petition candidate for President-elect.

However, it's the system we have, fair or not. When I look at the past Presidents of the SOA over the past few years, I think we could have done a lot worse than the actuaries we elected. In other words, I think we have elected good leaders who have acted in the best interests of the profession, and in the best interests of society as well.

The persons I voted for didn't always win, but the alternatives who did win were not so bad.
Old 07-14-2017, 03:38 PM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

UNSUBSCRIBE

Spoiler:
Quote:
JMO is right
Quote:
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Quote:
MORE:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-16-2017, 12:54 PM
SOA CCA AAA

College: University of the West Indies
Default Response to Marcie and JMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcie View Post
Mr. Robinson,
I have several questions, if I may:
  1. How long have you been a Fellow?
  2. When did you first start voting in SOA elections?
  3. How and when do you think changes to the SOA Strategic Plan should happen? (If you think it should ever change.)
  4. Are you satisfied with the current process for getting on the ballot for SOA elections?
  5. Will your answer to the previous question remain the same if/when you do not receive the necessary petition votes?
  6. The current direction of the SOA is largely driven by the changes effected, reportedly unilaterally, by former SOA President Brad Smith. Presumably there was a strategic plan before Mr. Smith from which his presidency radically departed. Can you evaluate this in light of your statement that "the role of the president is not to present an alternative to the Strategic Plan"?

I may have more follow-up questions.

Thank you,
Marcie
1. I am FSA 1994.

2. That's a hard one. Certainly, I became most interested when my fellow-Jamaican, Mike McLaughlin, became a presidential candidate - that was 2009.

3. As I think Campbell explained, the idea is to lay down a path for bout five years, within which each year will address a series of related initiatives. I am satisfied with the process.

4. As I explained earlier, any process will make someone unhappy. As you know, Bob Miccolis won the CAS presidency as a petition candidate; so it is not unprecedented. Having the members endorse me would be an honor.

5. I have a choice - I can choose to run or not to run. My philosophy is to make a decision as best I can based on the information I have. I don't believe in saying that, if I fail, the decision was wrong - nor that it was someone else's fault that I failed. I think I can clear the hurdle - fingers crossed. Do I think the hurdle should be either lower or higher? That's not for me to say at this point. If the issue comes up in the Board, and I am there, then I would weigh the pros and cons.

6. I served with Brad for a year. I believe the Board is much more disciplined with regard to the application of the Strategic Plan than before. So, it is far less feasible to impose one's own agenda. Having said that, there is still lots of room for leaders to "influence the process", which is why I love to serve.

7. Concerning the presence of non-Board members at Board meetings: I believe this is possible, with the permission of the Board. Mr. Glickman was a guest at one at which I was present. Some past presidents attend the October Board meeting. Remember, discussions in any Board meeting are confidential. So, guests have limited speaking privileges, and they have to leave the room for "executive sessions".

The Board does not have "public hearings"; but the Listening Tours are opportunities for members to talk directly with senior Board members. I believe the Board is of a mind to continue those, and I would certainly favor them.

John W. Robinson FSA (1994), FCA, MAAA
Old 07-29-2017, 09:28 AM
CAS

Quote:
Thank you for the history, Carol. Very helpful.

Yes, I agree that we should learn from history. But knowing what you just told us does not change my opinion. The fact is that we have a process for electing our leaders: nominating committee and an alternate petition process. I do disagree with parts of the process, such as only being allowed to vote for one petition candidate for President-elect.

However, it's the system we have, fair or not. When I look at the past Presidents of the SOA over the past few years, I think we could have done a lot worse than the actuaries we elected. In other words, I think we have elected good leaders who have acted in the best interests of the profession, and in the best interests of society as well.

The persons I voted for didn't always win, but the alternatives who did win were not so bad.
Mr Skynyrd (and Mr Robinson feel free to chime in):
Since we agree that it's important to be students of history, I'd like to explore the sentence I've bolded in the quote above. (Mr Robinson, given your pro-status-quo stance, I'm going to make the bold hypothesis that you would concur with Lynyrd's statement.)

In what way(s) has the failed SOA GI track experiment been good for society? For the profession?

In what way(s) was the SOA's unilateral decision to end the joint administration of preliminary exams good for the profession or society (particularly current and future candidates, who now encounter a fork much earlier in their exam path than they did in the past)?

In what way(s) did a prior SOA president's decision to sue leaders of other actuarial organizations over ABCD proceedings benefit society and/or the profession?

When you look back to the period before the nominating committee era (the nom-comm was established with a bylaws change in 2006), do you see any bad leaders or those who did not act in the best interests of society or the profession? In what way(s) is the current process an improvement over the previous process?

I may have more follow-ups.

Thank you,
Marcie
Old 07-29-2017, 09:42 AM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

I haven't kept up, fwiw. Are the SOA officers still not ex officio members of the Academy Board?

From what I can tell, there has been a thawing between the SOA & CAS, but not between the SOA & Academy, and it's not only because of the GI track.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 07-29-2017, 09:56 AM
CAS

Quote:
I haven't kept up, fwiw. Are the SOA officers still not ex officio members of the Academy Board?

From what I can tell, there has been a thawing between the SOA & CAS, but not between the SOA & Academy, and it's not only because of the GI track.
I believe you are correct, on all counts, Ms Campbell.

But perhaps Mr Robinson can give an insider's perspective?