Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Chat with the Candidates & Exam Committee
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Chat with the Candidates & Exam Committee First Ballot Candidates are posted - Post questions to candidates here!

Old 08-14-2017, 04:58 AM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Heineken
Default Running for SOA Board Member

My name is Carlos Arocha, and I am an endorsed candidate running for the SOA Board of Directors.

I would like to ask my SOA colleagues for their vote, and for passing the word about my candidacy in their organizations.

My candidate's profile can be seen at https://www.soa.org/elections/2017/c...cha-candidate/

If elected, I will support the following initiatives:

>> Strengthen interactions on a global scale through the recognition of the global nature of our profession
>> Expand into new markets, where the SOA is underrepresented
>> Provide a solid curriculum and life-long career opportunities for actuaries

I will leverage on my Latin American background and my European expertise to provide a good balance for the Board.

Support me by talking to other actuaries in your company, and consider voting for me! But even if you don’t choose me as your candidate, please keep volunteering. Ours is a great profession.

“We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give”—Winston Churchill
Old 08-14-2017, 06:42 AM
CAS

Carlos:
By "new markets" do you mean geography? Or new subject areas?

Why should the SOA expand?

In what way should the SOA expand into new markets such that it also "strengthens interactions on a global scale," whatever that means?

Thank you,
Marcie
Old 08-18-2017, 06:20 AM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Heineken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcie View Post
Carlos:
By "new markets" do you mean geography? Or new subject areas?

Why should the SOA expand?

In what way should the SOA expand into new markets such that it also "strengthens interactions on a global scale," whatever that means?

Thank you,
Marcie
Thanks Marcie. By new markets, I mean both geography and subject areas where the application of actuarial science might be worth considering. But also, I'd like to encourage diversity and inclusion, and to attract talent from groups that are currently underrepresented in the profession.

The SOA should expand because when it comes to size of talent pools, n+1 is always better than n.
Old 08-18-2017, 09:59 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for Mozart & Beethoven
College: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
The SOA should expand because when it comes to size of talent pools, n+1 is always better than n.
This could only be true if you see people first and foremost as members of groups rather than individuals.

The problem with most diversity efforts is they just pick out the top "outliers" of an underrepresented group without doing much to lift the group as a whole. I'm skeptical that you actually expand your pool any.

Tags
board