Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > MFE
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register

Old 03-21-2017, 08:13 AM
CAS

College: UNC-Chapel Hill Alum
Favorite beer: Red Oak

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsp1995 View Post
I passed P in May 2016, FM in August 2016, and MFE March 2017,
Nice! I just passed MFE as well!
Quote:
Originally Posted by redearedslider View Post
Gz
...see? Even the AO is impressed with such feats.
COP
Old 03-21-2017, 09:03 PM
SOA

Studying for C
College: UT Austin Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by knicole View Post
I don't *think* so...but I don't know very well what the FAP is. Exam 5 is about ratemaking and reserving. I guess they're similar in that they're based around more practical knowledge than the prelims.
Ah, thank you! Interesting. I really don't even know what the FAP entails. I just was very unfamiliar with the CAS side of things. From what I've heard the FAP is very unlike taking an exam. It's more about reading, interpreting, and coming up with solutions, even if they aren't the "right" solutions, and backing up why you think so (at least that's how one of my colleagues described it). It would be nice to get into the specifics of ratemaking and reserving, though....
Old 03-22-2017, 01:49 AM
CAS SOA

College: Georgia State University

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsuo View Post
Just need to clarify that having more exams WILL NOT hurt you in your job search. 4 is GREAT, but if you're seeing people with 0-2 exams getting jobs and you're not, your focus shouldn't be to pass more exams at that point.
What if said person has a large gap between passing exams?
Old 03-22-2017, 09:33 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravesandfalcons View Post
I expect questions would be asked about what you did in the meantime. If it was failing the exam a bunch of times, that could be an issue. But if you were just off doing something else, it would still be experience doing something. I had a large gap between P and FM, as I did not go straight into an actuarial profession. I still worked in the insurance industry though, and the experience helped nonetheless.
COP
Old 03-22-2017, 10:06 AM

Studying for MFE
College: Florida State University Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALivelySedative View Post
I expect questions would be asked about what you did in the meantime. If it was failing the exam a bunch of times, that could be an issue. But if you were just off doing something else, it would still be experience doing something. I had a large gap between P and FM, as I did not go straight into an actuarial profession. I still worked in the insurance industry though, and the experience helped nonetheless.
What would you consider as a large gap? I have 6 months between each of P, FM, and now MFE, but I've been working full time during all of them. I feel like that might be a slightly larger gap than most, a lot of people who I know passed them did so when they weren't working at all or only part time :/
Old 03-22-2017, 10:15 AM
SOA

Favorite beer: The ones in red solo cups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganRFSU View Post
What would you consider as a large gap? I have 6 months between each of P, FM, and now MFE, but I've been working full time during all of them. I feel like that might be a slightly larger gap than most, a lot of people who I know passed them did so when they weren't working at all or only part time :/
You do not have a large gap. I have a 2 year gap between P and FM. Assuming I pass MFE in July, I will have a 1 year gap between FM and MFE. You are doing better than me, and we are both working full time.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:28 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganRFSU View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToBeAnActuaryOrNotToBe View Post
You do not have a large gap. I have a 2 year gap between P and FM. Assuming I pass MFE in July, I will have a 1 year gap between FM and MFE. You are doing better than me, and we are both working full time.
Agree this is relatively small. I also had 2 years between P and FM. Have another gap between LC/ST and 4/C where I took some analytics/programming courses outside of work. You'll both be fine.
COP
Old 03-24-2017, 01:45 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravesandfalcons View Post
What's a large gap? For example, you took P two years ago and have not passed any exams since? Then yes that would be a problem. A lot of people who aren't currently in actuarial positions or students will have larger gaps between exams, it's understandable as long as you passed an exam recently to show that you're studying and serious about the profession.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:48 PM
SOA

BTW once you're in a student program, it's not like they expect you to pass an exam or module every six months. Many companies don't even have a rule on how many you need to pass in a certain period of time, the minimum I've heard is one year (pass an exam every 12 months or you're out of the program).