Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Investment / Financial Markets
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Investment / Financial Markets Old Exam MFE Forum

Old 07-14-2018, 03:15 PM
SOA

BTW, does anyone know if the results will be out in 8 weeks from the beginning or the end of the exam window?
Old 07-14-2018, 06:52 PM
CAS SOA

Does anyone know a rough estimate of how many questions they would have to get right to pass? I felt pretty good on about 20 of them. I had 10 marked at the end to come back and look at if I had time. Out of those 10 I completely guessed on 3 or 4, made some educated guesses on a few more, and the rest I got an answer but would have liked more time to make sure I did it right.
Old 07-15-2018, 03:38 PM
CAS SOA

College: Georgia State University

Quote:
Originally Posted by hblrplayer View Post
Does anyone know a rough estimate of how many questions they would have to get right to pass? I felt pretty good on about 20 of them. I had 10 marked at the end to come back and look at if I had time. Out of those 10 I completely guessed on 3 or 4, made some educated guesses on a few more, and the rest I got an answer but would have liked more time to make sure I did it right.
I donít think anyone will know for sure until the results come out and the SOA publishes the report for this sitting. If I had to guess, it would be close to the MFE pass mark which was 70%-72%. That would put you at ~21 questions.
Old 07-15-2018, 04:41 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravesandfalcons View Post
I donít think anyone will know for sure until the results come out and the SOA publishes the report for this sitting. If I had to guess, it would be close to the MFE pass mark which was 70%-72%. That would put you at ~21 questions.
Does that take into consideration the pilot questions?
Old 07-15-2018, 06:59 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocado View Post
BTW, does anyone know if the results will be out in 8 weeks from the beginning or the end of the exam window?
The list of passing candidate numbers will be out on September 7th, and individual scores will be online on September 10th.

See here: https://www.soa.org/education/exams/...ts-detail.aspx
Old 07-15-2018, 07:08 PM
CAS SOA

College: Drake University

Quote:
I agree that the exam concentrated on certain (unexpected) topics. I did a lot of ADAPT exams and although their questions were good, the distribution was quite different from the actual exam. Also, some theory questions tested very minor details, and unless you've memorized it, you'd likely get it wrong!
Unfortunately, there’s nothing much we can do about this, since we followed the weight stated in the syllabus closely.

As far as theory questions are concerned, although we have quite a number of those in the bank already, we will continue to add more of those to the bank for the November sitting.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:09 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkt View Post
Unfortunately, thereís nothing much we can do about this, since we followed the weight stated in the syllabus closely.
I agree that it's not ADAPT's flaw at all. In fact I really liked ADAPT and thought the questions were on point. I'd however recommend future students to take quizzes on as many topics as possible so that more minor topics are adequately covered.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:16 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by hblrplayer View Post
Does that take into consideration the pilot questions?
I don't think it's mentioned anywhere that there are pilot questions in this exam.
Old 07-16-2018, 06:07 AM
SOA

College: University of the Philippines Diliman

Quote:
I don't think it's mentioned anywhere that there are pilot questions in this exam.
In the IFM syllabus, it is indicated that "As part of the computer-based testing process, a few pilot questions will be randomly placed in the exam (paper and pencil and computer-based forms). These pilot questions are included to judge their effectiveness for future exams, but they will NOT be used in the scoring of this exam..."
APC
Old 07-16-2018, 10:17 AM
SOA

Favorite beer: The ones in red solo cups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkt View Post
Unfortunately, thereís nothing much we can do about this, since we followed the weight stated in the syllabus closely.

As far as theory questions are concerned, although we have quite a number of those in the bank already, we will continue to add more of those to the bank for the November sitting.
I actually really enjoyed ADAPT for the theory questions. The problems went into great detail on those concepts, and I was able to decipher the exam questions very easily.