Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Long-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe


Long-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam MLC Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #121  
Old 08-16-2018, 02:01 AM
Liar Liar is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Studying for LTAM
Posts: 311
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaudettj View Post
The key is not relying on memory but rather a rigorous understanding of the material. With a solid theoretical foundation and a good while spent grinding problems, the many formulas will come with time and experience.
I completely disagree.

You're still on chapter 4. The last half of the material is all just memorization and no understanding required.
Reply With Quote
  #122  
Old 08-16-2018, 09:55 AM
tkt's Avatar
tkt tkt is offline
Member
CAS SOA
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Des Moines
College: Drake University
Posts: 521
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar View Post
I read the final chapter of the CA manual tonight (Mortality improvements).

Let me just say, I think half the content on this exam is BS. It seems like the entire Markov Chain section is just something that someone pulled out of their rears to sound smart and sophisticated when it's just about memorizing a whole bunch of stupid rules that they seemingly made up out of thin air. The multiple decrement and multiple lives chapters are just memorization marathons with hardly any understanding at all.

The new chapters SOA added are also all just memorization. No understanding required.

I hope CA isn't pulling a fast one on us. I'm going to be pissed if the actual exam asks deeper question than what's covered in the manuals.
Congrats on your progress! Keep in mind: completing the manual is at most halfway to being exam-ready. You then need to deeply invest in solving practice problems. For many candidates, the written-answer portion is challenging. Certainly invest more time practicing these questions.

All the best!
__________________
Tong Khon Teh, FSA, CFA
Product Manager, Actuarial
coachingactuaries.com

Last edited by tkt; 08-16-2018 at 09:58 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #123  
Old 08-17-2018, 09:10 AM
gaudettj's Avatar
gaudettj gaudettj is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Canada
Studying for FAP / C
Favorite beer: All of the Above
Posts: 246
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar View Post
I completely disagree.

You're still on chapter 4. The last half of the material is all just memorization and no understanding required.
Fair enough. Guess I'll have to wait and see. How's the CA manual treating you? I liked the brevity of the sample section, especially compared to ASM, but I'm still feeling pretty comfortable with just the textbook and old ASM manual for now. Can't decide if its worth spendng the money on or if I should just go with ADAPT only.
__________________
________________________
VEE's P FM IFM SRM LTAM FAP PA STAM APC
Reply With Quote
  #124  
Old 08-17-2018, 10:52 AM
Liar Liar is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Studying for LTAM
Posts: 311
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaudettj View Post
Fair enough. Guess I'll have to wait and see. How's the CA manual treating you? I liked the brevity of the sample section, especially compared to ASM, but I'm still feeling pretty comfortable with just the textbook and old ASM manual for now. Can't decide if its worth spendng the money on or if I should just go with ADAPT only.
The CA manual is concise and not overwhelming.

I think the hardest part of this exam is memorizing all the different rules and formulas for the 2nd half of the manual.
Reply With Quote
  #125  
Old 08-17-2018, 01:38 PM
gaudettj's Avatar
gaudettj gaudettj is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Canada
Studying for FAP / C
Favorite beer: All of the Above
Posts: 246
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar View Post
The CA manual is concise and not overwhelming.

I think the hardest part of this exam is memorizing all the different rules and formulas for the 2nd half of the manual.
Good to know. I'll probably end up getting it after I finish the first run-through of the material if it doesn't seem to be clicking when I start ADAPT.
__________________
________________________
VEE's P FM IFM SRM LTAM FAP PA STAM APC
Reply With Quote
  #126  
Old 08-17-2018, 10:22 PM
IacceptTheTerms IacceptTheTerms is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 125
Default

I think that the only way I could pass this exam is spend the following days leading to the exam hammering ADAPT every day and try not to be lazy... I definitely think I have a chance but it will probably be exhausting..
Reply With Quote
  #127  
Old 08-18-2018, 12:43 PM
Liar Liar is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Studying for LTAM
Posts: 311
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IacceptTheTerms View Post
I think that the only way I could pass this exam is spend the following days leading to the exam hammering ADAPT every day and try not to be lazy... I definitely think I have a chance but it will probably be exhausting..
What are you struggling with?

This exam is just one long memorization marathon. Just keep grinding ADAPT and written answers.
Reply With Quote
  #128  
Old 08-18-2018, 01:15 PM
IacceptTheTerms IacceptTheTerms is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 125
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar View Post
What are you struggling with?

This exam is just one long memorization marathon. Just keep grinding ADAPT and written answers.
I struggle with motivation to study in summer pretty much
Reply With Quote
  #129  
Old 08-18-2018, 02:00 PM
Liar Liar is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Studying for LTAM
Posts: 311
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IacceptTheTerms View Post
I struggle with motivation to study in summer pretty much
Yeah. I spent all of last night re-reading the 2nd-half of the CA manual.

Definitely would've rather spent that time going out, drinking and one-night stands.
Reply With Quote
  #130  
Old 08-19-2018, 08:18 PM
Liar Liar is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Studying for LTAM
Posts: 311
Default

It's almost 2 months to exam date.

How confident do you guys feel about the material?

I finished re-reading the CA manual on Saturday and I feel I have a strong grasp on every concept.
Now it's time to crank out ADAPT. I'm aiming for 100% rate at EL 5 exams.

Last edited by Liar; 08-19-2018 at 08:46 PM..
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.31180 seconds with 9 queries